Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the tire tread and I noticed that the front tires outermost tread is wearing an additional 1/32” more than the other tread. But I do not notice any vibration or pulling when driving— does it require an alignment?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Checked the tire tread and I noticed that the front tires outermost tread is wearing an additional 1/32” more than the other tread. But I do not notice any vibration or pulling when driving— does it require an alignment?
It kind of depends on how many miles we are talking about here, and if the tread wear is the same on both left and right tires.

Sleightly more wear on the outside tread edge of the front tires on a CRV is pretty normal from my experience on three different generations of CRV now. I also find that the inner tread edge on the rear tires on an AWD will also tend to wear sleightly faster too... so with regular tire rotations, they will even out. Turns and cornering tend to put more wear on the outer tread edge of the front wheels, and the rear wheels tend to be less prone to wear from turning. Driving conditions and habits can affect this as well.

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It kind of depends on how many miles we are talking about here, and if the tread wear is the same on both left and right tires.

Sleightly more wear on the outside tread edge of the front tires on a CRV is pretty normal from my experience on three different generations of CRV now. I also find that the inner tread edge on the rear tires on an AWD will also tend to wear sleightly faster too... so with regular tire rotations, they will even out. Turns and cornering tend to put more wear on the outer tread edge of the front wheels, and the rear wheels tend to be less prone to wear from turning. Driving conditions and habits can affect this as well.
Thanks for confirming that it’s normal wear ! I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
To me, it doesn't matter about miles since last alignment. re: Could have extreme low miles and one bad "deflection" off a 6" cement curb and that specific front tire can be out of wack. Ouch!

If it doesn't pull to one side of the road or the other, I'd leave it.

If normal wear on tires, I'd leave it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
After getting tires rotated do you need to do to alignment and balance?
When I bought my 2013 CRV new, I went to Firestone and purchased a Lifetime Alignment contract on the car for as long as I own it; and for each set of tires a rotate and balance contract for the life of the tires. At every oil change, I get the rotate and balance and the alignment checked or adjusted. My tires are wearing evenly and I hope to get 60K or more miles out of them. Dropping $600 or more for a set of Michelins that I failed to maintain is not something I want to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I bought my 2013 CRV new, I went to Firestone and purchased a Lifetime Alignment contract on the car for as long as I own it; and for each set of tires a rotate and balance contract for the life of the tires. At every oil change, I get the rotate and balance and the alignment checked or adjusted. My tires are wearing evenly and I hope to get 60K or more miles out of them. Dropping $600 or more for a set of Michelins that I failed to maintain is not something I want to do.
^^^^^
This

I also got the life time alignment, (it was only a few $$ more than a single alignment when it was on sale)

you can get an alignment every six months,

so now it is Winter tires on- get alignment,

Winter tires off/summer tires on-get alignment.

Simple and boths sets of tires should wear evenly.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
^^^^^
This

I also got the life time alignment, (it was only a few $$ more than a single alignment when it was on sale)

you can get an alignment every six months,

so now it is Winter tires on- get alignment,

Winter tires off/summer tires on-get alignment.

Simple and boths sets of tires should wear evenly.

Yeah.. if you are changing out tire sets on the seasons... I can see routine alignment checks and adjustments being a prudent practice. Tires are not cheap.. so keeping everything in proper alignment will maximize tire life and overall ownership cost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If by outermost thread you mean both sides of the tire, then you are under-inflating.
If, however, you mean only one side of the tire, then it is called cupping and is a sign of wrong alignment.
My Pilot calls for 35 psi but I run 38 psi and my tires wear absolutely evenly on the outside and on the inside, giving me excellent gas mileage. I did the same on my previous cars with great results.
The CRV calls for 30 psi but I run it at 33 psi front and 32 psi rear. Will see how it likes that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.