Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating replacing my 10 year CRV VTEC manual with an automatic version so I am looking for some feedback .I have never driven one (in fact I have only ever driven one auto of any sort) so before I dive in I'd like to know other peoples experiences with them .I gather they are noisy when on puts one foot down . That wouldnt necessarily bother me but what would is if they are more unreliable , and much more expensive to maintain /repair than manuals .Reading up on auto transmissions in general CVT's would appear to be the simplest designs,torque converters are more complex but having been around much longer one assumes they have got the technology sorted to the extent they might not give the problems they once did.Anyway CVT would be my preferred option as I like Hondas .Anyway i would greatly appreciate your comments .Thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Go with the CVT. They aren't a bad transmission and have been around for awhile. A lot of people are skeptical since they are used to the 5 speed automatic. However, I had a 2008 Nissan Altima with a CVT and put 75,000 miles on it without ever changing the fluid and it was completely trouble free. My wife's CRV has the conventional 5 speed automatic but I have a 2014 Civic with the CVT and it has been pretty good. I just hit 9,700 miles on it. Sometimes it shifts a bit rough as if trying to find the perfect spot, but that's pretty much it. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with the CVT. They aren't a bad transmission and have been around for awhile. A lot of people are skeptical since they are used to the 5 speed automatic. However, I had a 2008 Nissan Altima with a CVT and put 75,000 miles on it without ever changing the fluid and it was completely trouble free. My wife's CRV has the conventional 5 speed automatic but I have a 2014 Civic with the CVT and it has been pretty good. I just hit 9,700 miles on it. Sometimes it shifts a bit rough as if trying to find the perfect spot, but that's pretty much it. Good luck with your search.
Thanks. The only other type/car I had considered was a torque converter on a Mazda 6 as it seems to be well regarded by the likes of Honest John, but I think CVT on a Honda (or possibly Toyota)appeals to me more

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks. The only other type/car I had considered was a torque converter on a Mazda 6 as it seems to be well regarded by the likes of Honest John, but I think CVT on a Honda (or possibly Toyota)appeals to me more
The CVT is just fine, but as an FYI I believe it does have a torque converter. Take one for a test drive: the change in feel will be obvious, but I bet not objectionable.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Love our '15 CR-V. The CVT is smooth! Paired with the new engine it is very fast and fun to drive.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
How does the CVT perform in hilly terrain for torque etc.?
It's not bad at all. It's just like an automatic meaning you have to push on the gas, but it stays at a constant RPM, so I feel like it accelerates very smoothly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In SA the CR-V has a 'normal' auto box, so does the Brio, CRZ, Civic and Accord.
The Jazz, Mobilio and HRV have CVT transmissions.

All local forums stress that the CVT transmissions must not skip an oil change. My Jazz has done +160,000km without repair and it is still as smooth as silk.
In the beginning I used to play around with the shift paddles but the novelty soon wore off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts