Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all… I am moments away from deciding upon a 2018 CRV EX.

I really like the molten lava color, but it only comes with ivory upholstery. With a busy family, and the fact that I practically live in my car, am I risking an upholstery nightmare with ivory?

Additionally, how do you guys with families keep ivory upholstery clean? I can't imagine that the upholstery doesn't collect dust and dirt regularly.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for all of your considerations!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
The folks who are OCD about cleanliness would be able to tell when the interior is dirty...no matter what the color.

:wave: Like me.

(I recently test-drove a Clarity Hybrid with an Ivory interior, so I KNOW your trepidation...)

+++++++++++++

I think that with regular cleaning, the Ivory color would still look good down the road, even in the rear seat 'kids zone'. So be prepared to do that (or have it done by a detailer) every 6 months at least.

PS: On my leather interiors (one of them a light tan), I clean the seats every 7 - 8K miles with a household cleaner...THEN soften the hides with a leather conditioner (left in place overnight before I buff it out).

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The folks who are OCD about cleanliness would be able to tell when the interior is dirty...no matter what the color.

:wave: Like me.

(I recently test-drove a Clarity Hybrid with an Ivory interior, so I KNOW your trepidation...)

+++++++++++++

I think that with regular cleaning, the Ivory color would still look good down the road, even in the rear seat 'kids zone'. So be prepared to do that (or have it done by a detailer) every 6 months at least.

PS: On my leather interiors (one of them a light tan), I clean the seats every 7 - 8K miles with a household cleaner...THEN soften the hides with a leather conditioner (left in place overnight before I buff it out).
Ha! Thanks for the fellow OCD endorsement! :)

I feel a bit more comfortable with the notion of ivory… But I still question my sanity. I could be driving this car for 10 or 15 years, and I have to wonder if I'm going to be cursing my choice a few years down the road. I live in my car, and have been known to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in that thing. My current car looks pretty rancid, with a black and gray interior. Can't imagine what that would look like on ivory.

How is the current CRV upholstery for stain resistance? The dealer mentioned some sort of upholstery preservative and/or cleaner.

Seat covers may have to be in the future, that seems for sure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ha! Thanks for the fellow OCD endorsement! :)

I feel a bit more comfortable with the notion of ivory… But I still question my sanity. I could be driving this car for 10 or 15 years, and I have to wonder if I'm going to be cursing my choice a few years down the road. I live in my car, and have been known to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in that thing. My current car looks pretty rancid, with a black and gray interior. Can't imagine what that would look like on ivory.

How is the current CRV upholstery for stain resistance? The dealer mentioned some sort of upholstery preservative and/or cleaner.

Seat covers may have to be in the future, that seems for sure.
I buy a can of 3M seat protectant and apply it every year. Cheap and does the job for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks for that tip.

Does the 3M product change the feel of the upholstery, or the sheen of the fabric?
I have a 17 Obsidian Blue EX with grey interior and it doesn’t do anything to the fabric. You wouldn’t know it’s even there. It’s best to do a test spot first somewhere inconspicuous just in case. Just follow the recommendations on the can and you won’t go wrong.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The EXL would be a better option for you (I wish I did). It is easier to clean if the seats are leather. I bought an EX diamond white with Ivory upholstery seats and I was shocked after my first oil change. The lazy Honda mechanic just put smudges of oil allover the driver seat and door handles.... I literally freaked out at the service adviser, he cleaned it up but it just isn't the same anymore.... (hope i did not get that mechanic fired)

I used to have leather seats on my Accord coup so was not cautious and cover the seats with t-shirt and towel and tape the driver door handle with those wide packaging tapes... (i will be doing that on my next oil change, I just bought those wet-dry portable vacs... hope it'l do the job)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
So, you never had a kid spill soda or fruit juice in the backseat? ����
Nope, my CR-V is a 'kids free zone'! ;)

I am divorced and don't have any kids.
I do have a few friends with kids, but their kids are either in college, or graduated and starting their own families. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
Don’t know about in the US but in Canada you can no longer get grey cloth interiors. It’s all black cloth now.

Lucky I got a 17 EX with a grey interior in Obsidian Blue. Not a fan of black cloth since it’s already pretty dark inside with the black dash and carpet. Even got grey WeatherTech FloorLiners to lighten it up even more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts