Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 4WD EX 5-speed manual. I bought it from a dealer, and I have two weeks left on the warranty. I can't shake the feeling something is wrong with the engine. The car needs to shift up VERY quickly, which I'm not too annoyed by, but when I get into 5th gear, the car hits 3000rpm by 60mph, and goes up by about 250rpm every 5mph increase. On the highway, I'll be at a steady 3500rpm going 70mph, and the engine sounds like it is running really hard. My dealer says that some transmissions are just built this way, but it feels pretty unnatural. I've never had a manual 4WD car; can anyone tell me if this is just a normal characteristic of a manual car using 4WD? or does it sound like there is something weird happening? It also seems like my gas is really going quicker than I'd expected, but that might be because I had a small Tacoma and a Honda Accord before this and I'm just not used to the gas usage of a 4wd.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
If you could find another same year CRV that has the same options & test drive it. If they replaced the tranny that's from Japan usually the gear ratios are higher. What size tires are you running it?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I owned a 2006 EX 5 speed manual with RT4WD for 5 years before trading it in on a 2014 CR-V.
My experience is that manual transmissions cause the engine to run at higher RPMs than an automatic.

On the fueleconomy.gov website, they show a combined fuel mile of 21 mpg (19 mpg city/24 mpg highway) for a 2006 CR-V with manual transmission.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22509.shtml

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting, and how are you calculating it?
And what service/maintenance records did you get with the CR-V?
When was the last time all of the fluids were changed, and were Honda fluids used for the manual transmission and for the rear differential?

I assume you've checked your engine oil level and it's okay?

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
I have not driven a manual CRV, maybe Carbuff2 could comment. All I can say is that it is normal to operate in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range. Given that this is a 5-speed, I would think that what you are seeing is perfectly normal. I would certainly be driving in this range.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,887 Posts
Your RPMs are AS DESIGNED, that is the way the gearing is in the manual Vs. (Geared down for rock-crawling' capability.)

Yes, you WILL take a gas mileage 'hit' at higher speeds. (At 70 - 80 MPH, I get 21 - 22 MPG, at 55- 65 I'm up around 30 MPG) The V punches a large 'hole' in the air.

You won't hurt the engine at those higher highway RPMs.

+++++++++

If you cannot accept the RPMs and lower highway fuel mileage, you have two options:

1. Install an overdrive 6th gear. @BDub has just done this, and there are several Element owners who have modded their transmissions. (The gearbox is the same as an 6 - speed Acura TSX.)

2. Sell the car and buy an automatic (which turns less highway RPM, because it can use the torque converter for low speeds).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I owned a 2005 CR-V, 5-speed manual gearbox, 2L-petrol engine. At 3 000 rpm on flat highway, the speed was 100 km/h (=62 mph). This annoyingly high rpm was one of the reasons that I changed to a 6-speed manual 2010 CR-V: It does close to 120 km/h (74.6 mph) at 3 000 rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts