Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 CRV has had a bumping noise in the right rear for two years now. I have tried everything that has been suggested with no luck. I have replaced the rear struts twice, replaced the sway bar links, replaced the sway bar to body bushings, replaced the trailing arm bushings, greased the tailgate hinges, replaced the tailgate stay cylinder, tried shaking, prying and everything short of dynamite to duplicate the sound when sitting still. At first it was only heard when going very slow over a rough road and when crossing rumble strips on the road. Now it has progressed to where I hear it on any rough road at any speed. Not on very rough spots like potholes or such but only on minor rough spots. It seems much worse in cold weather. I have just about given up and am ready to get rid of the car. I love the car except for this bumping rattle which is driving me nuts. The car has 210,000 miles on it so I know along with this rattle I would have to give it away which I hate to do because I know how good the car still is. I have driven it all over the US this last year without a single problem or burning a drop of oil. I am very picky when it comes to rattles and this one is driving me crazy. Anyone have any other suggestions for things to check?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Have you checked all the bolts in that area? How about the rear seats it could be just a loose rear seat anchors. It might be a long shot, but here it goes, try to remove one of the links in the right rear, & then drive it around see if the noise goes away. If so, you have pin pointed the problem. Let me know.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My experience with rattling noise from the rear was loose mounting of the tailgate "shock absorber." Over time, up and down movement developed at the mounting eyes/metal pins . So I wrapped a few turns of plasticized tie wrap to take up the slack and no more noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions but I tried completely removing the shock on the door and I have tried removing both stabilizer links and the noise was still there. It is a very hard bumping type rattle coming from somewhere under the car. I have checked every bolt and mount I can find with no luck. This thing is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Have you checked the spare tire, its tie down and if maybe something in there is causing this noise?
That's what I was thinking too, also in the spare tire location under the picnic table. Got junk in there bouncing around?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Its a long shot but try this with the vehicle stationary & stopped engine off hold the tail pipe & shake it. See what happens. Let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the spare tire along with the picnic table and the plastic liner and the jack and the noise was still there. When I shake the tail pipe I can cause it to hit the trailer hitch if I shake it very hard side to side but the noise starts as soon as I start rolling on gravel or anything rough so I don't believe it would be shaking that much. I did discover today though that the dampener on the differential is loose inside and it will make a noise if I shake it. I ordered one so as soon as it comes in I will install it. I am not to optimistic about it as I don't think at a very slow speed it would shake that much but I figured it was bad anyway so I would replace it. I have to work an 11 hour shift tomorrow but Saturday I am going to do some more searching.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I crawled under the car and bungeed up the dampener, no luck but I did find the rear crossmember mounts looked very rotten. When I shook the rear differential up and down it moved a good bit and made some noise. I ordered the bushings and stopper washers for it and am waiting for Fedex to deliver them. I have the dampener now and will put it on when the bushings come in. I am hoping this will be a fix this time. If not I think I am going to look for a Jeep Wrangler or small pickup to tow and get rid of the CRV. I would rather not but. This thing is going to drive me into the poor house a part at a time.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Ok I crawled under the car and bungeed up the dampener, no luck but I did find the rear crossmember mounts looked very rotten. When I shook the rear differential up and down it moved a good bit and made some noise. I ordered the bushings and stopper washers for it and am waiting for Fedex to deliver them. I have the dampener now and will put it on when the bushings come in. I am hoping this will be a fix this time. If not I think I am going to look for a Jeep Wrangler or small pickup to tow and get rid of the CRV. I would rather not but. This thing is going to drive me into the poor house a part at a time.
It sound like you have found the source of the noise, new bushings will probably have it like new again.

16 years old and 210k, you have to expect to spend some money on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sound like you have found the source of the noise, new bushings will probably have it like new again.

16 years old and 210k, you have to expect to spend some money on it.
Oh don't get me wrong, it has been a good reliable car and I don't mind spending a little money on it. It's just when you spend money and it does nothing to help the noise. I guess everything I have changed though needed to be changed so it is not wasted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the parts came and I changed out the rear differential mounts and the dampener today. Guess what, no change! I have discovered though that the colder it is the worse it rattles and bumps. Today it was about 75 and it was not bad, if it is 20 it is very bad?? I rode in the back and listened with a rubber hose and it seems to be the worse near the right strut. It only bumps though when I cross small rough spots or on a rock road, when I tried it over a pipe cattle guard it made no noise. Very odd. I give up, that is just about all the parts I can change and I have changed the right strut twice and the left once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The struts I put in were complete units with mounts and all. I have shook every part and pryed on all the connections with no luck. It still is coming from the right rear and sounds like close to the strut area. I even pulled the side panels this weekend to make sure there was nothing in there. I swear I have been a mechanic for over 40 years and have never had one beat me like this one. I am retired now and partially disabled as well as battling cancer so it makes it hard for me to crawl around under them. Like I used to but I know I have covered every inch of this car. I think it is possessed! I like the car and it makes a great tow vehicle but it is making me crazy.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It almost sounds like something is broken in the chassis, like maybe a weld let go and you can't 'see' it when it's static because of gravity doing its thing but when you go over a bump it can separate and cause the noise.
Just tossing out observations from out here where it never rains...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts