Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just got done kicking the tires on a 2018 Touring and a EX-L and have a couple/few questions about the navigation and the difference between models. Salesman told me one thing and checking his knowledge.

1.) How many of you have in car navigation?

2.) I'm an iPhone user and was considering just using my phone instead of the in car navigation (EX-L). If I went this route can I use blue tooth to bring up the navigation on the cars screen or is it that I will need a dedicated cable to the phone?

3.) Is it possible to use google maps instead on either model?

4.) The only difference between a fully loaded EX-L and a Touring is the in car navigation, the top luggage rails and the foot sensing hatch release?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
An iPhone with IOS 12.1 is absolutely great at mapping using Google maps in Carplay. You can even use download offline maps for a large area and store them for 30 days. It works great in my CRV but you do need a dedicated cable.

It will work fine with your EX-L without Garmin Nav.

There are a ton of YouTube videos on setting up carplay and google maps with iOS 12.

Rob

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,030 Posts
There are a few more diffs b/w the two trim levels. Pick up a sales brochure or look online to compare. I have EX-L w/ Nav. I use it as well as Apple Maps. I find the factory nav a little more user friendly and graphics better. I also like the heads up turn by turn display. I know the whole deal about the maps not being up to date but only time I use mine is out of town vacation trips. I think some people use them on their daily work commute. Maybe they get lost alot or go a different way each day.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Garmin Nav in the touring works exactly the same as their standalone GPS units, except you cannot upload POI's and Routes.

The iplay and Android Auto functions (on all models I believe?) works fantastic with your phone (maps, texting, general voice commands) but need to be hardwired to one specific USB port.

If I was forced to chose one over the other, I would opt for Google Maps and Android Auto. I would not pay extra for the Touring model just for the Garmin GPS, but I must say it's nice. (There are other things of interest on the Touring tho, besides the Garmin integration)

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,030 Posts
I meant how so many people on here gripe that the maps aren't constantly updated as in Google and Apple maps. Yes I just updated mine as well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There are a few more diffs b/w the two trim levels. Pick up a sales brochure or look online to compare. I have EX-L w/ Nav. I use it as well as Apple Maps. I find the factory nav a little more user friendly and graphics better. I also like the heads up turn by turn display. I know the whole deal about the maps not being up to date but only time I use mine is out of town vacation trips. I think some people use them on their daily work commute. Maybe they get lost alot or go a different way each day.
in my case, i use the maps to avoid traffic or find routs that are less congested. I usually have several ways to get to work, choose the one that has the least red marks.

some people use waze bc members mark where the cops are hanging out, or mark were accidents are.

·
Registered
425 Posts
"If I was forced to chose one over the other, I would opt for Google Maps and Android Auto. I would not pay extra for the Touring model just for the Garmin GPS, but I must say it's nice. (There are other things of interest on the Touring tho, besides the Garmin integration)[/QUOTE]"

same here, built in navigation is not a buying point for me. IMO its "whats the point? I already have it in my phone" thing. Now that Google Maps with its ability to download maps is available for all. (downloaded maps lets you navigate even when you lose cell coverage)

and another thing, Its no big deal for me to attach the cable. Is it hard to stick the cable to the phone? I wonder...

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,213 Posts
i don't use my phone for navigation... just my preference to keep as a phone.
I prefer my stand alone garmin. if it breaks, i'm not spending $$$ for repair/replacement. i'll just spend a bit for the newest garmin GPS.

drove an Accord 2014 loaner from dealer last wk. personally didn't like that version of navigation at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts