Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thank you Helena for looking after us. Cheers!

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just asking............

What kind security problems are there on forums? Everyone uses assumed names. No addresses. Nothing real. :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
The new password requirement is a pain in the ass...sigh...fixing something that wasn't broken...must be politicians..."for your own good"...sigh

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I'm now registered as a guest. I had a lifetime membership that I can no longer accepts my password. My email address changed which complicates this. I sent a message to the administrator yesterday.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Talk about overkill !! Any account info available to a hacker is about as worthless as it gets !! It smacks of "control" issues and totally unnecessary IMO. Maybe the admin. should take over the TSA as they seem to have trouble with just about everything !! JMO. Craig

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
So I've reset my password 3 times now, but it won't work. I have to keep using the default password that came in that email. Can someone fix this?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hehehe !! Coastie !! Remind you of the USCG paperwork 2-step ?? I had the same issue so I asked for another reset p/w !! Entered the new p/w which overrode the reset p/w and BINGO !! Gotta love it !! Craig

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hehehe !! Coastie !! Remind you of the USCG paperwork 2-step ?? I had the same issue so I asked for another reset p/w !! Entered the new p/w which overrode the reset p/w and BINGO !! Gotta love it !! Craig
Haha, no kidding! That paper work and the paper pushers who's job it is to do it mess it up all the time. Oh, and if they are on a ship (which is normal for some of us) man they hate their lives. You know, since they are a predominantly land based.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would think that the job is "guard the coastline" of the U.S. !! That implies to me you'd need to be out in the ocean so the bad guys get intercepted BEFORE reaching the coastline !! Sinking ships, stranded ship passengers, trying to intercept drug runners etc etc all can be done better from a ship than a desk 10 miles inland !! JMO. Craig

·
Registered
381 Posts
Perhaps a bit overkill with the 10+ chars, upper and lowercase, symbols, and numbers and letters requirements. heh nothing anyone would remember, for sure. But I can understand why.

I manage/admin some vbulletin forums, and there have been a lot of general exploits lately. The Tapatalk code had a code injection exploit issue 4 days ago, requiring a patch, and there have been several in the past 2 years. If someone got into your account they would know a) your email address, and b) your password. They could then use that combo on banks, credit cards, paypal, amazon.com, etc to make your life miserable. Even when using an alias, it could still make your life hell if someone got access to your account on here. It's best to have a unique password for every site that you use.

Some of the revenue generating banners on this site set off my anti virus on every visit, and get blocked every time I change pages. Am I the only one that has this problem?

In any case, thanks to the company and mods that manage this great site.

Rhody

·
Registered
776 Posts
Perhaps a bit overkill with the 10+ chars, upper and lowercase, symbols, and numbers and letters requirements. heh nothing anyone would remember, for sure. But I can understand why.

I manage/admin some vbulletin forums, and there have been a lot of general exploits lately. The Tapatalk code had a code injection exploit issue 4 days ago, requiring a patch, and there have been several in the past 2 years. If someone got into your account they would know a) your email address, and b) your password. They could then use that combo on banks, credit cards, paypal, amazon.com, etc to make your life miserable. Even when using an alias, it could still make your life hell if someone got access to your account on here. It's best to have a unique password for every site that you use.

Some of the revenue generating banners on this site set off my anti virus on every visit, and get blocked every time I change pages. Am I the only one that has this problem?

In any case, thanks to the company and mods that manage this great site.

Rhody
OK, I'll ask the naive questions !! How would someone get access to something when they don't know where it is, the account number etc etc. For example, I don't bank online so how do they access that from my account here ?? Old, inquiring minds need to know. I don't doubt you, please elaborate. Thanks, Craig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts