Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was driving my 2018 CR-V about 30 MPH on a single-lane road and a pickup truck pulled into my lane about 150 feet ahead of me but immediately pulled into a driveway, so I did not react to the event, but the auto-braking feature reacted and slammed to car to a near halt. I reacted by attempting to brake, but was only able to get my toes on the brake pad and not the ball of my foot. The weight of my body was also thrust forward awkwardly, resulting in a sprain of my right ankle and leg about halfway up the front of my calf. My swelled-up ankle has just about returned to normal, but this was not a fun experience.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,675 Posts
I've had what I think is a similar experience, but I was able to slightly apply the gas and a slight turn of the steering wheel and avoided this.

It seems the sensor is overly sensitive to a leading vehicle making a right turn. I have learned to anticipate this and no longer have that issue.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I would disable the function. But it really wouldn't be necessary, since I will never, ever own a car with this junk-tech on it. This stuff is dangerous. What if you'd been driving on ice or a slick patch of road? If this is the future I want no part of it.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
First glad you are al-right Guess this is what happens when you put the trust into the ACC system? I wished this sys can be set up when "In Park" for you to use it or not then to try to do this at 35mph or higher. I can never correctly get this to work when the speeds here are 25 mph. city Lol

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unfortunately these relatively low cost ACC radar systems (call it first gen) have significant lag and put a lot of weight in the speed difference between the host and pathway vehicles. Hopefully manufacturers can get costs down in next gen systems for a more human like scene construction with less lag and a more appropriate system response.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L
26 Posts
Was this due to the ACC (active cruise control) or just automated braking feature? I didn't know that the cruise control would be active at that low speed. Also, if the other vehicle was 150 feet ahead, that is hardly an imminent crash that I would expect to activate the emergency braking feature.....I don't really trust these features either (I'm old) but I have left them on at this point. I find the lane keeping assist feature also tends to trigger on pavement breaks or tar repairs, annoying but hardly a safety issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my first week of ownership I pulled onto the highway from a shoulder pull-off. Traffic was heavy and I pulled into an opening close behind a passing car. I was accelerating hard to match traveling speed but my car immediately braked. Needless to say, the car behind me was not pleased. Incidentally, I was also crossing a solid line during this maneuver...this may or may not have factored in to this episode. I promptly turned these "safety" features off and when asked about them in a new owners' survey I told them to forget this crap and give me a comfortable armrest and decent cabin lighting so I can see the floor area and instrument panel controls.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I promptly turned these "safety" features off...
While you can turn some safety features off the Collision Mitigation Braking System is always ON after you start the car. You can turn it off after starting by pressing and holding the CMBS button but the next time you start the car it will be on again.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,018 Posts
ACC you are the control button don't press it it won't work 25 mph is the set for brake, it is a cruise control. Now on the other safety thing that did not know and still trying the heck to figure out for our EX-L all these cars in front cutting etc in traffic we are on tehir Bumpres NO BRAKING DONE/

·
Registered
988 Posts
Heck no, it isn't perfect but apparently the data shows these safety features help save lives. Considering the growing distractions behind the wheel, it might be futile to argue against it's value or growing use on the roadways.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This reminds me of the people that complained about seat belts when they first came out. How restrictive they were and they were afraid of drowning. Sadly, some still don't wear them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
CMBS will reduce incidence and severity of rear end type crashes, at the population level, period. The faster these technologies are implemented the better off we will be.

That said, population level safety assessments cannot take into account individual level issues and uncomfortableness with the technology. If someone freaks out and gets their foot stuck on the pedal during a false alarm, they probably shouldn't be using it. I would argue that something is wrong with the way they are driving, what if the incident was real and their foot got stuck. That is user error whatever way you look at it.

Perhaps there should be mandatory training videos, as people really are left to figure it out on their own, which is clearly problematic for some.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can say I am very thankful for the auto braking. First week I had my crv I pulled out of a mcdonalds and like an idiot I had set my drink on top of the center console area and not cup holder. As I am turning right onto the road my drink tips over right on my seat and ice cold coca cola soaks my seat and my pants. My natural instinct was to look down for a split second. I know another idiot move. Before I even had time to look up the traffic that was going about 40 that I just gave it some gas to merge into all of a sudden came to a complete stop. Auto braking kicks in and I Look up to see that I was stopped a few feet from the car in front of me. All my years of driving before I had never been in a wreck but this day I can say for sure would have been my first accident. So thank you Honda for making my idiot life changing error into just a close call.:HighFive:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can say I am very thankful for the auto braking. First week I had my crv I pulled out of a mcdonalds and like an idiot I had set my drink on top of the center console area and not cup holder. As I am turning right onto the road my drink tips over right on my seat and ice cold coca cola soaks my seat and my pants. My natural instinct was to look down for a split second. I know another idiot move. Before I even had time to look up the traffic that was going about 40 that I just gave it some gas to merge into all of a sudden came to a complete stop. Auto braking kicks in and I Look up to see that I was stopped a few feet from the car in front of me. All my years of driving before I had never been in a wreck but this day I can say for sure would have been my first accident. So thank you Honda for making my idiot life changing error into just a close call.:HighFive:
Very good!

The question is: did you sue McDonald's because they served an obviously impaired person hot coffee? ;)

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd hate to have to clean that up in a brand new car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This reminds me of the people that complained about seat belts when they first came out. How restrictive they were and they were afraid of drowning. Sadly, some still don't wear them.
Fear of drowning is a valid reason to not wear your seatbelt. I make sure to undo mine and unlock my doors and roll down my window before driving onto a lake, and I highly suggest others do the same.

:beerchug:

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's pretty much a no-brainer not to set the cruise control during poor road conditions, but what about the auto braking? Should it be disabled when there's snow/ice on the road?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fear of drowning is a valid reason to not wear your seatbelt. I make sure to undo mine and unlock my doors and roll down my window before driving onto a lake, and I highly suggest others do the same.

:beerchug:
I guess it's a trade off in case someone crosses the center line. I bet more of that happens then drowning.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts