Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2017 CR-V with the automatic rear view mirror dimming feature. How can I tell if it is on or working? There are no lights glowing at the bottom of the mirror at night or when the headlights are on. Is there an on/off switch somewhere? I have looked in the online owner's manual and it just says this feature is always active and will turn off when the vehicle is in reverse. How can I tell if the dimming feature is really working?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Shine a light at the MIRROR and it should AUTOmatically DIM.
Yes but make sure you do it at night. If the front sensor pointed towards the windscreen picks up sunlight it will not dim.

Rob

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,204 Posts
must be working for me..... as i never notice the need to mess w/it at night/evening.
funny how i don't even think about it like i did on my older vehicle. :headscratch::Happy:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Alternatively, in bright daylight, use your palm or something else opaque to shield the sensor on the front of the mirror--facing the windshield--from the daylight. As long as the sensors on the rear of the mirror--facing the back of the vehicle--are not covered, you should see the mirror dim.

Edit to add: this dimming doesn't happen instantly. It may take 30 seconds or so (guess) for the mirror to fully dim under the test conditions I describe. And then when you stop shading the front-facing sensor it will take awhile for the mirror to un-dim.

·
Registered
140 Posts
At night, look at the headlights behind you in the outside mirrors and the inside rear view mirror. They should be brighter in the outside mirrors.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a new to me 2017 CR-V with the automatic rear view mirror dimming feature. How can I tell if it is on or working? There are no lights glowing at the bottom of the mirror at night or when the headlights are on. Is there an on/off switch somewhere? I have looked in the online owner's manual and it just says this feature is always active and will turn off when the vehicle is in reverse. How can I tell if the dimming feature is really working?
Put it in reverse at night when there are lights shining behind you. You should notice a difference in the mirror when the dimming shuts off.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
425 Posts
I can relate to the question. I did wonder if it was working also. It took me awhile to get use to the auto mirror. It never gets as dark as the manual mirror did in my 2014. It's fine. No complaints here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts