Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 CRV Hybrid SR. The Auto High Beam stays on for too long and dazzles oncoming drivers. I have tried to disable it as per instructions in the manual but this does not work. The Honda dealer could not detect a fault on their diagnostic machine and suggested I keep the headlights on 'manual' to prevent the auto high beam from being activated. This is no solution as each time the power is switched off the headlight stalk returns to the default auto setting.

I then contacted Honda UK who said they cannot help with enquiries from individuals and they referred me back to the dealer. Is there an alternate means of disabling this annoying feature?

·
Registered
442 Posts
are you properly activating it.
there should be a logo on cluster when its night and auto engages.

your lights have to be on and u pull the stalk to trigger it on and off.

if its still blinding people and not shutting off for oncoming traffic with the symbol up
you should have them check calibration of cameras as well.

this is activation instructions

Your headlight switch needs to be in the “Auto” position. Then pull the whole “lever” towards you until a green icon with a little “A” in the middle of it appears. As long as the camera doesn’t detect any oncoming headlights or taillights, it should switch the high beams automatically on.
This is what is also in the official manual:
" Turning the System On or Off
  • Make sure the headlight lever is in the low beam position with the switch rotated to the AUTO position. The auto high-beam system indicator comes on. The system is canceled temporarily when you drive continuously at a speed below 15 mph (24 km/h), the vehicle speed drops below 6 mph (10 km/h), the windshield wipers run at high speed for more than a few seconds, or you enter a well lit location. Headlight switch The high beams come back on once the condition that caused them to turn off no longer exists.
  • Disabling the system: Pull the light switch lever toward you and hold it for at least 40 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator in the meter will blink twice.
  • Re-enabling the system: Pull the light switch lever toward you and hold it for at least 30 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator in the meter will blink once. If needed, you can temporarily turn the system off manually. Turn on the high beams by pushing the lever forward until you hear a click or flash the high beams once by pulling the lever toward you. To turn the system back on, pull and hold the lever toward you for a few seconds. Your vehicle Oncoming vehicle Vehicle ahead of you If you do not want the system to be activated at any time when the headlight switch is in AUTO, consult a dealer or disable the system. Vehicle Controls n Using the Auto High-Beam System If you find the timing of beam changes inconvenient for driving, change the headlight beams manually. If the Some Driver Assist Systems Cannot Operate: Camera Temperature Too High message appears: • Use the climate control system to cool down the interior and, if necessary, also use defroster mode with the air flow directed toward the camera. • Start driving the vehicle to lower the windshield temperature, which cools down the area around the camera.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Another thought - do you have a dashcam install that is sitting infront of the sensor / rear view mirror housing?

I made that mistake with my 4th Gen CRV a few years ago and the High Beam Assist wouldnt go off either. It was only trial and error when washing the car I noticed the dashcam covering the sensor.

So I moved the camera and never had any issues. Appreciate this may not apply in your case as youve not indicated whether you have a dashcam installed or not.

But welcome anyway - great to see another UK member on the site :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

if its still blinding people and not shutting off for oncoming traffic with the symbol up

Your headlight switch needs to be in the “Auto” position. Then pull the whole “lever” towards you until a green icon with a little “A” in the middle of it appears. As long as the camera doesn’t detect any oncoming headlights or taillights, it should switch the high beams automatically on.
  • Make sure the headlight lever is in the low beam position with the switch rotated to the AUTO position. The auto high-beam system indicator comes on. The system is canceled temporarily when you drive continuously at a speed below 15 mph (24 km/h), the vehicle speed drops below 6 mph (10 km/h), the windshield wipers run at high speed for more than a few seconds, or you enter a well lit location. Headlight switch The high beams come back on once the condition that caused them to turn off no longer exists.
  • Disabling the system: Pull the light switch lever toward you and hold it for at least 40 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator in the meter will blink twice.
  • Re-enabling the system: Pull the light switch lever toward you and hold it for at least 30 seconds. The auto high-beam indicator in the meter will blink once. If needed, you can temporarily turn the system off manually. Turn on the high beams by pushing the lever forward until you hear a click or flash the high beams once by pulling the lever toward you. To turn the system back on, pull and hold the lever toward you for a few seconds. Your vehicle Oncoming vehicle Vehicle ahead of you If you do not want the system to be activated at any time when the headlight switch is in AUTO, consult a dealer or disable the system. Vehicle Controls n Using the Auto High-Beam System If you find the timing of beam changes inconvenient for driving, change the headlight beams manually. If the Some Driver Assist Systems Cannot Operate: Camera Temperature Too High message appears: • Use the climate control system to cool down the interior and, if necessary, also use defroster mode with the air flow directed toward the camera. • Start driving the vehicle to lower the windshield temperature, which cools down the area around the camera.
For what the feature does.. this is probably the most difficult and archaic feature adjust Honda has in the current generation Hondas. Not user friendly at all. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
For what the feature does.. this is probably the most difficult and archaic feature adjust Honda has in the current generation Hondas. Not user friendly at all. :)
the first time you set it up its odd
then its forgotten about.
i figured it out without the manual on a 10hr roadtrip when we first got it and it was great .
little odd to see it going on and off randomly but now its invisible

·
Registered
424 Posts

Try the 40 second disable then the 30 second re-enable procedure as noted above. I read on another forum that this can correct poor auto high beam response.

If that doesn't work then do the 40 second permanent disable. That means with the headlight switch in Auto you manually control the high beams. With the switch in Auto the headlights will automatically come on when it gets dark and shut off when it gets light.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2019 CRV Hybrid SR. The Auto High Beam stays on for too long and dazzles oncoming drivers. I have tried to disable it as per instructions in the manual but this does not work. The Honda dealer could not detect a fault on their diagnostic machine and suggested I keep the headlights on 'manual' to prevent the auto high beam from being activated. This is no solution as each time the power is switched off the headlight stalk returns to the default auto setting.

I then contacted Honda UK who said they cannot help with enquiries from individuals and they referred me back to the dealer. Is there an alternate means of disabling this annoying feature?
Hello,

Did your dealership perform the Auto High-Beam (High-Beam Support System) Function Test AND THEN compare the performance of your vehicles system to that of a same year, like trim, known-good vehicle on there lot?

Below is the preamble to the actual test. Your dealership can pull this test up by using the keyword "High Beam" in there Service Information System.

SmartSelect_20191213-234214_Chrome.jpg

Keep us updated,

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your contributions. I have contacted the dealership again as suggested but they are adamant they can do nothing unless a diagnostic fault shows. They don't work at night so they can't see for themselves that the auto high beam stays on too long. They just repeat the advice in the manual on how to disable the feature but it does not work on my car. I can get used to keeping the lights on manual instead of auto to prevent auto high beam activating. I think these days main dealer technicians are primarily computer operators who, unlike old fashioned mechanics, cannot work round problems. I do appreciate your help, thank you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ah, I noticed you're a fellow Brit!

Drop me a PM, maybe we could meet and I could look at it for you. Or at least bash heads and try and figure out together whats happening! (y)

·
Registered
424 Posts
They just repeat the advice in the manual on how to disable the feature but it does not work on my car.
In order for the 40 sec disable/ 30 sec re-enable feature to work the Ignition must be ON and the headlight switch in AUTO.
If that doesn't work try resetting the headlight control system. It's simply a matter of pulling a fuse with the Ignition OFF.
Here's Honda's procedure:
I checked the 2019 hybrid UK Owners Manual and it's the same fuse (#18) in engine compartment fuse box A.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the research. I've tried removal of fuse and replacement but did not work. However, I've found that the temporary fix of a single flash of main beam (top of page 128 of the handbook) does work. The system is re-enabled when the engine is stopped but that is not a problem; I just do the single flash again on start-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts