Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently own a 2015 CRV and very happy with it. I am considering a 2020 model. They look fantastic except for one horrible feature. The auto stop POS. I know it can be turned off each time the vehicle is started, but has anyone discovered a permanent fix, jumper wire etc. as was done on earlier models and Pilots?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
After a week or two of daily driving, turning off auto stop/start will be as routine as buckling your safety belt.

We have a European car with this feature, and it really does save fuel (at pauses of more than ~ 7 seconds). It lessens air pollution, too.

After a while, you will become adept at 'creeping' up to intersections with shorter waits.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,725 Posts
Presently own a 2015 CRV and very happy with it. I am considering a 2020 model. They look fantastic except for one horrible feature. The auto stop POS. I know it can be turned off each time the vehicle is started, but has anyone discovered a permanent fix, jumper wire etc. as was done on earlier models and Pilots?
While I thankfully do not have the auto-stop feature on my car, I do wonder - could something as simple as removing a fuse be a semi-permanent cure?

I'll defer to one of the members here with an actual MY2020 CR-V whose handbook might show the fuses/relays and whether that would make a difference.

On the stop-start itself, I would be concerned about the aggressive wear-n-tear of components over time, just to save a little fuel etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Many vehicles with stop-start have hacks or mods that eliminate it. Might need to wait a bit for it though.

Or....just push the button.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
Many vehicles with stop-start have hacks or mods that eliminate it. Might need to wait a bit for it though.

Or....just push the button.
If I recall correctly, for Hondas, you can defeat it by putting a short (via a soldered wire) across the disable switch. Though Honda may do something to defeat this in the future.

Personally, I would not do that.. as if it caused any sort of secondary problem.... could trigger a warranty refusal.

When the day comes for me to be forced to have auto start/stop I will either set it to off in settings (if that is available) OR I will simply develop the habit of pushing the available button to disable it after starting the engine. No big deal to develop new habits when taking ownership of a new vehicle... been doing it for many years now due to continuous addition of new tech features. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Never heard of solar energy?
Absolutely. However, it doesn't work at night, or with clouds, and in quantities sufficient to charge a car, it is few and far between; and, without tax payer subsidies it dies a certain death and is not at all available in most of the World.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How bad is it on the new crv? I have to say that Mercedes have it pretty much nailed in the c class. In heavy traffic it’s nearly forgettable.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
Never heard of solar energy?
Even in sunny California.... people are NOT using solar to charge their EVs. Some homeowners do have solar panels on the roof, and they effectively are selling electricity back to the power company in a sort of round robin manner... where they get power credit back on their utility bill for solar power uploaded to the utility, and still pay their normal monthly bill.

Generally speaking.. there very little real solar power infrastructure at the utility company level in most of the nation. Which means there IS a carbon footprint attributable to ever single EV on the road..as the power mostly comes from carbon combustion sources.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts