Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a late 2001 Honda CR-V 2.0l Petrol Auto, and have owned for the last 5 years or so. I live in the UK.

To date, apart from a few little issues, the car has been fantastic, having completed nearly 150,000 miles.

A few weeks ago, the car started to occasionally 'slow' change going from 1st to 2nd gear, allowing the engine to rev in the process.

Then, on Monday this week, whilst driving, the car didn't seem to be putting all the power down in 1st or 2nd gear, coupled with a reluctance to change up from these gears - whilst accelerating gently, it would rev up to 4000 rpm and then only change when I took my foot off the gas and re-applied it. Shortly after this, the Engine Management Light came on.

The car has been in the local Honda garage since then, and they've (slowly) diagnosed that the Shift Control Solenoid Valve is faulty. They've gone on to say that the gearbox may also be faulty, but we'll only know that once the solenoid valve is replaced.

Now, to the point of my post

1) Does anyone know where I can get hold of a Shift Control Solenoid Valve - Part number 28200-P4R-003 - apparently, they are on 'back-order' from Honda, and will not be available to main dealers in the UK until somewhere around 25-Nov-16 - nearly 2 months time. I only seem to be able to find ones in the US, so may have to opt for one of these and get it shipped over.

2) When I left my car at the Honda dealer, the only visible sign something was wrong with the car was the Engine Management Light. After picking it up from them yesterday, the 'D' drive light now flashes constantly when the engine is running. The only thing that Honda should have physically done with the car, apart from the various checks, was to change the transmission fluid and filters. Given they haven't picked up on this light now flashing, does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this? Could the Honda dealer have caused a further issue with the car whilst they've had it? Or could this just be the problem getting progressively worse?

Ultimately, I'm guessing I'll have to take it back, with the replacement solenoid valve, for them to fit and check again before getting to the bottom of this - however, given the age of the car, and the cost of replacing the gearbox if necessary, I'm trying not to spend too much more cash in diagnosing where the problem lies.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like you would have to email one or more of the many online honda parts dealers to check stock and shipping to u.k.

Try hondaautomotiveparts.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks crveee

Haven't had much joy in trying to find the part. I have found a couple of 'genuine' Honda parts on eBay for sale in the US, and am contemplating getting one of these shipped over.

The alternative I'm seriously considering is buying another CR-V locally (I can pick one up for not that much more than the faulty part through Honda), strip the parts that I need (including doing some other jobs like the electric windows, which I've been meaning to get around to for a while now) and then sell the remainder off as spares / repairs.

It's been such a good car - I know it's on the older side and has done a fair amount of miles, but would be a shame not to get it back on the road.

ps. coudn'tget that webside to work - any others you can recommend?
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts