Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm a new 2015 CR-V owner here, and have a question! I have AWD, I live in Northern VA (we just had our snowpocalypse with 3 feet of snow), and I can't for the life of me get my CR-V to go into AWD! (No, I'm not attempting to drive through 3 feet of snow) I bought the AWD specifically for driving over a mountain, but it won't go into AWD when I need it to. I've tried everything, I'm starting to feel like this automatic AWD thing is a scam. I've fishtailed, spun-out, wheels are spinning, ABS is locking up, but AWD will not engage. I'm frustrated, disappointed, and snowbound. :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
As in, you're having someone look at the rear wheels and they don't ever spin against the snow? The AWD light only comes on if AWD has a problem, or blinks if the system is overheated.

Turned off VSA?

Got some winter tires? (I got some after some minor but scary fishtailing in some highway slush on the OEMs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I went into an empty parking lot and tried making it engage, I didn't have anybody watch, but when I was trying in front of my house I had my neighbor check and he didn't see my rear wheels spinning. I have the regular all-weather 17" tires that came on the EX, might have to invest in some winter tires. Haven't messed with the VSA at all.
Shouldn't the AWD light come on when AWD is on? Or would that make too much sense? haha

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, you'd expect there to be some indication on the dash that AWD was engaging, but apparently not (page 73 of the manual).

The point of VSA is to prevent the wheels from spinning: it's like the ABS but for putting power on the wheels rather than brakes. VSA will remove power from wheels that it senses are trying to exert more driving force than there is traction to be had. This is useful if you're trying to accelerate on a road with patches of ice while not losing control, but having the power cut out to any given wheel isn't exactly what you're looking for when you're trying to push through snow (or mud). Even if there's not much traction to be had for a wheel you still want it to go around in order to move the snow out of the way lest it build up in front of the tire as you move, which is bad for forward progress.

Also they don't come with all-weather tires, they come with all-season aka "three season" tires. They are different.

AWD isn't a panacea for snow driving, it's more like icing on the cake of snow tires. Here's a good video that does a proper comparison of snow vs summer, FWD vs AWD in the same model (Kuga = Escape in North America).

·
Everything in Moderation
7,734 Posts
There is NO AWD-engaged light. As someone else said, the warning light only comes on if the system malfunctions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello! I'm a new 2015 CR-V owner here, and have a question! I have AWD, I live in Northern VA (we just had our snowpocalypse with 3 feet of snow), and I can't for the life of me get my CR-V to go into AWD! (No, I'm not attempting to drive through 3 feet of snow) I bought the AWD specifically for driving over a mountain, but it won't go into AWD when I need it to. I've tried everything, I'm starting to feel like this automatic AWD thing is a scam. I've fishtailed, spun-out, wheels are spinning, ABS is locking up, but AWD will not engage. I'm frustrated, disappointed, and snowbound. :(

I also live in NoVa and my 2012 CRV AWD (Original Bridgestone tires with about 27K miles) performed flawlessly in the snow. I felt and saw nothing to indicate the AWD was working. When I made the left turn (I drove only 5-10 miles/hr) I saw the VSA light flashed on the dash a few times, very quickly, but I did not feel the car was sliding at all. So I think the AWD system must be working silently, otherwise, I have no traction to go up hill with that much snow on the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts