Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am loving my 2017 2wd touring but it seems that the automatic high beams dont work, unless I just dont know how to activate them which is entirely possible. I have the headlight switch on Auto and when you first start the car the green headlight symbol with the A in it will illuminate only briefly. No matter what speed or road or traffic condition I am in, I have yet to see the headlights go from high to lo or vice versa. I leave the stalk in low beam position but have tried it briefly in high but still didnt see it change from my seated position. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
264 Posts
auto high beam only works in auto mode. You can watch the video on honda owners website. If you go in single lane curving roads only use it in low position. Also it uses the camera/sensors in front to check for oncoming traffic.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, From watching the video, I have everything set the way it says. The road I live on is a 2 lane country road with a speed limit of 55 and I am always going to work before sun-up. It seems it should be working but I just dont ever see it switch to high beams by itself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 17 - it seems to work - however street has to be completely dark, any street light irrespective of speed or no other cars does not make it come on

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with mrgoody. They work in very dark driving areas. Mine haven't worked much on suburban roads with street lights, but worked on mountainous highway roads with little to no lighting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To deactivate the auto hi beams you have to hold back on the turn signal lever for 40 seconds until the auto hi beams symbol flashes twice. To activate auto hi beams you have to hold back the turn signal lever for 30 seconds until the auto hi beams symbol flashes once I believe. It's in the owners manual. I chose to deactivate them for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Auto high beam information is in page 181 of the manual:

It only works if:
■The headlight switch is in AUTO.
■The lever is in the low beam position.
■The system recognizes that you are driving at night and the low beam headlights come on.
■The vehicle speed is above 25 mph (40 km/h).

The auto high-beam operation is temporarily canceled while:
• You are continuously driving at a speed below 15 mph (24 km/h).
• The vehicle speed is below 6 mph (10 km/h).
• The windshield wipers run at high speed for more than a few seconds.

To operate auto high-beams:
Turn the headlight switch in AUTO and pull the headlight lever to low beam, then the auto high-beam indicator (green) comes on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I picked up my car last night and the dealer asked me if I wanted him to set them to auto and I have had them set since then with no problems at all. It does not have to be completely dark and they work, for me, flawlessly! When I pull into a driveway the hi beam turns to low, windy roads they stay on high as long as there are no headlights coming directly at me and they turn off automatically when I turn off the car. Haven't had to touch them once since I've been driving the car day/night. One of my fav features, actually!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Maybe there's a difference between how well the halogen projector and the LED headlights operate when it comes to the Auto Highbeam function?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have driven home twice this week after midnight with very little to no traffic and the auto hi beams work seamlessly. First time it came on, it startled me because I forgot about this feature.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To deactivate the auto hi beams you have to hold back on the turn signal lever for 40 seconds until the auto hi beams symbol flashes twice. To activate auto hi beams you have to hold back the turn signal lever for 30 seconds until the auto hi beams symbol flashes once I believe. It's in the owners manual. I chose to deactivate them for now.
You are da man ciron CRV. Mine were turned off from the dealership. Just went outside and started it just to try the pull for 30 seconds thing. I now have the green headlight with the A in it. Thanks very much for the training you have given me. As my first post said, It was VERY possible that I just didnt know how to turn them on. That was the case until now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow, I missed this earlier. Thanks for pointing that out to us newbies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for those directions. I had to disable them as they failed completely while driving in snow Saturday night. I had to pull off the road to figure out how to turn the lights on manually as I was blinding all the on-coming traffic. Something about the sensor was not detecting numerous cars coming towards me. Really disappointed in this "feature" but everything else has been great so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i wont have that feature in mine but weather may effect the sensors....i know you not supposed to use the adaptive cruise control in snow or rain...might be same with headlights

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for those directions. I had to disable them as they failed completely while driving in snow Saturday night. I had to pull off the road to figure out how to turn the lights on manually as I was blinding all the on-coming traffic. Something about the sensor was not detecting numerous cars coming towards me. Really disappointed in this "feature" but everything else has been great so far.
I believe the sensor is optical, and snow could block its view. Did you see the alert on your dash telling you that "“  Some Driver Assist Systems Cannot Operate: Clean Front Windshield" with a symbol? You can also instantly disable it by just pulling the lever toward you. It will come back on but will give you temporary manual control. I don't know if that means until next time it "thinks" it should change, or next time you start the vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe the sensor is optical, and snow could block its view. Did you see the alert on your dash telling you that "“  Some Driver Assist Systems Cannot Operate: Clean Front Windshield" with a symbol? You can also instantly disable it by just pulling the lever toward you. It will come back on but will give you temporary manual control. I don't know if that means until next time it "thinks" it should change, or next time you start the vehicle.
No, no warning of any kind. I just figured it out since everyone coming at me was flashing me. I was trying to concentrate on driving in the snow. :)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts