Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what it's called but it's the system the activates the brakes if the car thinks you're about to hit something. I've had (2) 2019 CR-Vs. The 1st was an EX. Even when a car turned off in front of me, the warning light would go off and the car braked. I traded that off after 1216 miles and 4 months on my current EX-L. I can't get this one to activate the automatic braking for anything. I've put myself in the exact same situations and...nothing. I've double checked the settings (and the dash button) and everything is as it should be.

Is there any way to tell for sure if this system is really working? I've wiped off the sensor above the windshield, too. I drive fairly cautiously but one of the reasons I bought this was for the tech/safety features.

TIA!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traylaw- That's what I've got it set on.

mrgoody- I was talked into an EX trim. I thought I wouldn't miss some of the added features of the EX-L. I was wrong. I have this for the next 3 years and got a good deal.

·
Registered
375 Posts
just thought of this after I read your problem....
try putting a few balloons in an empty lot or a long driveway... put some foil on the balloons so it will mimic something metallic (don't know if that makes any difference), tie them up together and at front bumpers height.. Please update us what happened. :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Honestly.. best to take it to the dealer and have them check and verify all systems AND the calibration of those systems to be sure they are all working and in spec.

It's a safety system that may very well save you from a collision... so best to be sure it is working and is properly calibrated.

Be prepared for the dealer to come back and say everything is working as designed... so it helps if you have photo or video evidence to help them understand your specific concern.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 2019 EX. Some days I wish I would have gotten the EX-L for the powered tailgate for the kids. But then I'm reminded of the $2500 MSRP between the trims and I'm ok with the features that I have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just thought of this after I read your problem....
try putting a few balloons in an empty lot or a long driveway... put some foil on the balloons so it will mimic something metallic (don't know if that makes any difference), tie them up together and at front bumpers height.. Please update us what happened. :)
Does automatic braking not work for living things, like animals or people?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It may, or it may not. A lot of it depends on the profile that is presented to the sensors. The system relies on a combination of front radar and front facing camera. It very well may miss humans or animals in some conditions... so best not to count on it.

Heck.. even the aspiring truly autonomous vehicles have been found to miss humans and hit them.. so to expect the stock HondaSensing to be better is beyond reality.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it should, call and ex gf or wife to test it!
Our equinox is an entry trim but it has the motion detection (just wont brake) but it will pop up an alert with a person outline to warn you.
The crv is supposed to see motion in the drive path and stop. Most of the sensing features are drive aids though and some only function at certain speeds etc.
If u search the comma ai boards you’ll see all the technical specs and limitations of the oem vs after market setup

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think it's scary that people are so reliant on stuff like automatic breaking. While I understand it's there, just pdon't rely on it. It's there to hopefully help you in a clutch. It's still up to the driver to properly react to situations that may arise. We're no Tesla.
And yes I do get false positives from time to time especially when merging to a busy highway. But after my first experience of that, I've been vigilant ever since, as I understand this system is here to assist and not a replacement for my own eyes and reaction.
I guess we're also pretty lucky that our sensors are pretty good. I live in Jersey and on clear and even cloudy night along 80, I can confidently use acc and lane keep assist to make the trip a bit more ”easier." But I would never use it on a busy highway with more than 8 cars around me unless I just wanna chill in the slow lane, but who wants that!? #80on80gang

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm glad to have it, saved me one time during a short period of "inattention" I regret. Interesting that for people avoidance it's looking for shapes. The list of limitations in the manual gives some insight to all it has to consider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can vouch for the pedestrian braking. I was doing about 25mph on a side street when a drug-addled bum stepped into the road ahead of me. When he was about six feet in front of, and two feet off to the right edge of the car, the brakes came on hard. So that works. I'd still like to stretch some tinfoil between a couple posts and see how well it stops in front of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts