Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my auxiliary radiator fan on my 1999 honda crv doesn't work.

Mechanic wants to determine if it is the fan, switch, or something else.

Is there a way I can check? Grandson has a good code reader. Would that tell specifically?

Bobby C

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Find the connector to the fan (near the radiator) and feed it 12v . If the fan doesn't work, it is most likely the fan.
If it does work, it may be the thermostatic switch that turns it on is disconnected or bad.
Usually that relay is a common one and if you see another one in the fuse/relay box, take it out and substitute it temporarily.
What kind of mechanic are you talking with? :)
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
The 97-00 CRV Service Manual (available here in PDF format has the fan wiring schematic and testing procedures for your vehicle (see chapter 22).

Service Manuals are indispensable - I hunt one down for every car I own ;-)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Mechanic wants to determine if it is the fan, switch, or something else!!!!!!!!!!!

And that would be @ your expense. JMO, Iwould find another mechanic, it will be cheaper in the long run.
David g.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I don't believe the code reader will help you at all.
The mechanic is correct in that the cause needs to be determined before just replacing parts.
If you follow the troubleshooting in the manual which TomKatt so nicely gave a link to, you should be able to do the testing yourself.
Could be a fuse. Fuse #56 (20a) in the under the hood fuse/relay box. Fuse #17 (7.5a) in the under the dash fuse/relay box.
When you turn the AC on, both fans should run. This is a basic check. Do either or both fans come on?
I believe the aux (condenser) fan is on the driver's side and it connector's is just below the top of it and closer to the fender.
The main radiator fan comes on at around 199F + or - several degrees. I am unable to tell if the condenser fan only operates with the AC or with another temp switch also. On later models, it also will come on if the coolant temp gets to high.
The troubleshooting for the condenser (aux) fan starts on page 22-29 in that manual.
Check out page 22-10 also.

I would start by turning the AC on and look.
If not working, I would shut the engine off.
I would then check the proper fuse:
disconnect the wires going to that fan at the connector closest to the fan (usually only one in that area) and directly supply 12 v to the wires going to the fan. If the fan still doesn't turn at full speed, it is a problem with the fan itself.

That how I would start. :)

Please post back with the results and how you got it fixed.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll let you know.

Grandson (in another city) says code reader won't tell, and I checked the fuses.

Next step may be high rated shop nearby.

·
Registered
252 Posts
edit -

Just peeked at the schematic for the aux (aka condenser) fan for your year. I see the temp sensor switch is tied to turn on both fan relays. From your comment I assume the radiator fan is working properly. If that is the case, the temp sensor switch is working correctly. You say also you have checked under hood fuse #56 (20A) and under dash fuse #17 (7.5A) and they are both good (#17 has to be if the radiator fan is working). That leaves the fan and the condenser fan relay. I would guess that the two fan relays are the same type - so you can try and swap them and see if the condenser fan comes on. If so, the relay is bad. Otherwise the only thing left is the fan or the wiring to it. The fan can be checked by jumping the white wire to the positive battery terminal and seeing if it spins. If it does, then the wiring to the fan is the problem. But my money is on the fan itself.

A related issue is the condenser fan coming on with the radiator fan, but not with the AC. But from you description that does not seem to be the case.

EDIT 2-

I assume you also know NOT ton run your AC until the condenser fan has been repaired. Doing so can cause the refrigerant to overheat and build pressure over the system's capacity which can damage the compressor or burst the relief cap and the refrigerant will (violently) escape. None of these things are good.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Just feeding that fan 12v will tell you if the fan is good or not.
I 'believe' that there are pressure, etc, limit switches (or values) that would turn off the compressor before any damage would be done. Still, why press your luck. :eek:
Buffalo4

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the excellent input.

Both fans were out. And at only 230,000 mi:).

At 70+ and recovering from cancer, I had the shop replace them.

Good for another 200,000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.

Fans replaced, ac compressor o.k.

Mechancanic says it cools down pretty fast, which can be a sign of low freon, but to drive it for awhile to see how it performs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts