Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rid of my beater and picked up the 2019 crv Lx. Would like to avoid my old bad habits.

Is there a mileage estimation or instrument panel temp reading which would satisfy short trip avoidance?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What are your old habits? Does your temp gauge never reach the middle?

Coming up 23 mos. now and just turned over 11K miles so I think I easily fall into the "around town, short trip" category.......no issues, other than the shifter button being replaced. I just can't see wasting gas to satisfy a mythical minimum miles driven number.

FWIW, I monitor engine coolant temp.......subfreezing ambient or triple digit ambient, normal observed engine coolant temp ranges 177F-186F (as long as the radiator efans are running).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your old habits? Does your temp gauge never reach the middle?

Coming up 23 mos. now and just turned over 11K miles so I think I easily fall into the "around town, short trip" category.......no issues, other than the shifter button being replaced. I just can't see wasting gas to satisfy a mythical minimum miles driven number.

FWIW, I monitor engine coolant temp.......subfreezing ambient or triple digit ambient, normal engine coolant temp ranges 177F-186F as long as the radiator efans are running.
Nothing horribly bad that I know of, but didn't consider length of trips. How do you know your exact temps? I have the Lx. Do the higher trims give digital readout?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm using a ScanGauge II plugged in to the OBD-II port under the dash. Currently I monitor engine coolant temp CT1, cold radiator tank temp CT2, tranny fluid temp TFT and vacuum/boost BST.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Nothing horribly bad that I know of, but didn't consider length of trips. How do you know your exact temps? I have the Lx. Do the higher trims give digital readout?
That's why I'm using the word mythical........in subfreezing ambients and using the heater will take more time/miles to reach normal operating temp than driving in triple digit ambients using the a/c. Again, I don't worry about it..........I do practice the blue words in my signature religiously.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Nice! Going to look into that. Any risk of voiding warranty?
All it does is read/display what the vehicle ECU/'puter sends to it. Works on most '96 up OBD-II vehicles, easily moved from one vehicle to another.(y)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Another FWIW, the temp numbers in the pic above are after a short, <3 mile round trip in 87F ambient, 10 A.M. round trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another FWIW, the temp numbers in the pic above are after a short, <3 mile round trip in 87F ambient, 10 A.M. round trip.
Ah ok. If I may ask one more question. Do these have to be plugged in while driving, or can you plug in and pull data at anytime such as max temps reached?

Reason I ask is I've seen some inexpensive BT units but they are bulky and do not want it plugged in while driving. Scanguage looks sweet but that thing would be stolen in my area (nyc) so I'd need to hide it somehow.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ah ok. If I may ask one more question. Do these have to be plugged in while driving, or can you plug in and pull data at anytime such as max temps reached?

Reason I ask is I've seen some inexpensive BT units but they are bulky and do not want it plugged in while driving. Scanguage looks sweet but that thing would be stolen in my area (nyc) so I'd need to hide it somehow.
I'm going to say yes, it must be plugged in. In fact, the instructions say for initial use, start the motor 1st, then plug the unit in. In a few seconds, the unit will start displaying. It's providing instantaneous/real time info. BST and RPM will change very rapidly, depending on throttle position. I think, but can't swear to it, that it will provide historical/max numbers for a trip, again, not positive about that.. That info may be in the instructions, but since I do not use that feature, I do not know for sure. Firing off an email to Linear Logic will probably give you answers to all your questions.

I just leave it on the dash for 2 reasons: 1. Too lazy to hide it. 2. I move it back-n-forth from one vehicle to the other. I've also helped the neighbors a few times to read/clear their diagnostic trouble codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings, ever heard of BlueDriver ? It offers all the data you need for temps on your CRV.
You just plug it in, download the app on your cell and you're off.
Google it and you'll see. I had mine for over a year.
Good Luck
Norm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts