Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 CR-V AWD indicator comes on randomly. Will be fine for days, then come on for no apparent reason on flat, dry surfaces, and stay on till engine is turned off. It may or may not come on the next time I drive.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,171 Posts
The AWD lamp can come on for numerous reasons, you would need to get the diagnostic codes that are stored to further isolate why the AWD light came on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The most common reason is what Honda describes as: AWD Indicator Comes On and Sets DTC C1858-73 – 2012-2013 Honda CR-V. The electric differential pressure solenoid (EDPS) in the rear differential has excessive oil pressure, causing the AWD indicator to come on and DTC C-1858-73 (differential fluid pressure deviation high) to set. What happens is the plunger on the solenoid hangs up sometimes and the computer disengages the AWD and puts the CRV into a FWD mode and puts on the AWD light. Honda put out a service bulletin, A15-016, that gives the details. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through this in Dec 2019 and had the EDPS replaced. The warning light has come back on within a thousand km. Going back into the dealer this Thursday but I'm curious what else it could be or whether the new part may have been defective.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Hi. I had the same problem on my 2013 CRV. Took it to the dealership for a computer analysis & was told "there seems to be an internal problem with the rear differential and to solve it, it needs to be replaced, parts and labor will be $4200 plus tax". Since that was not going to happen, I picked it up. I took it to a different dealership for a computer analysis and was told there is a service bulletin for 2012-2014 failure of the EDPS solenoid. If your CRV is still under warranty, the repair is at no cost. Unfortunately, I was past the factory warranty but the repair was $600. The code it sets is DTC C1858-73. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I had the same problem on my 2013 CRV. Took it to the dealership for a computer analysis & was told "there seems to be an internal problem with the rear differential and to solve it, it needs to be replaced, parts and labor will be $4200 plus tax". Since that was not going to happen, I picked it up. I took it to a different dealership for a computer analysis and was told there is a service bulletin for 2012-2014 failure of the EDPS solenoid. If your CRV is still under warranty, the repair is at no cost. Unfortunately, I was past the factory warranty but the repair was $600. The code it sets is DTC C1858-73. Hope this helps
Yes, replacing the EDPS seems to have solved the problem. I also paid $600. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The most common reason is what Honda describes as: AWD Indicator Comes On and Sets DTC C1858-73 – 2012-2013 Honda CR-V. The electric differential pressure solenoid (EDPS) in the rear differential has excessive oil pressure, causing the AWD indicator to come on and DTC C-1858-73 (differential fluid pressure deviation high) to set. What happens is the plunger on the solenoid hangs up sometimes and the computer disengages the AWD and puts the CRV into a FWD mode and puts on the AWD light. Honda put out a service bulletin, A15-016, that gives the details. Hope this helps.
The dealer was not able to find a stored code, but when I took the vehicle in while the indicator was actually on, they found the code and replaced the EDPS solenoid pack. Cost me $600, but worth it. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through this in Dec 2019 and had the EDPS replaced. The warning light has come back on within a thousand km. Going back into the dealer this Thursday but I'm curious what else it could be or whether the new part may have been defective.
I had the EPDS solenoid pack replaced 2 weeks ago. So far, so good. Did you eventually get the problem resolved? I hope so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find out if the part was faulty, or was it something else?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts