Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand how the hydraulic AWD system transfers power to the rear wheels. What I can't find documentation on is how is power balanced left to right?

If you are stuck in the snow, will all 4 tires spin? Or just 2 (1 front 1 back)?

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's more information on Youtube about how it works and also how its different from other systems, than you'll ever want to know.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
The CRV has open differentials L to R.

If you want (or think you need) better traction, you will need to buy a Subaru or Wrangler.

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you want (or think you need) better traction, you will need to buy a Subaru or Wrangler.
I understand that the '17 on CRV's have a better AWD system than previous generations...our '18 CRV worked better in the snow last season than any of our previous three CRV's.

The new Pilot (and Ridgeline) has SH-AWD and REALLY puts power down in snow and ice.

Our '16 Pilot with Hakka 8's was unbelievably 'sticky' compared to our three previous Pilots and my '07 Ridgeline.

No need to leave the Honda family to have a superior AWD system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CRV has open differentials L to R.

Thanks. So 2 wheels will spin and 2 will do nothing, like in the youtube video crv383 posted.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
that video doesnt show a lot of things that exist now. That is pure open or locked systems (like their show of limited slip isnt right) nothing regarding electronic systems added in

NO vehicles have locked differentials except specifically ordered trucks from the factory. Only thing that come with is limited slip (which works actually quite well compared to the video which that truck was not limited slip) or electronic traction control which uses the braking system to slow the spinning tires forcing more power the the tires that arent spinning.

AWD is completely different than the videos.

AWD has 3 differentials. One between the front and rear differentials. This one is always either limited slip or electronically controlled.

The systems that exist most of the competition done in those systems is the limited slip/electronic control designs.

Anything with locked differentials is a very very bad idea for normal daily driving, you will tear up tires, axles and differentials.

CRVS are NOT AWD except the latest models. Previous versions are 4wd (4x4) which is completely different. So how yours will respond depends on the version you have. If it is "realtime" then its 4wd (though the logo almost looks like AWD) which are the older versions. last several years they have offered actual AWD versions which DO NOT act like what you saw in the video. The system will transfer power to wheels that have traction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts