Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today got to try out the AWD abilities, the tires (Nokian Nordman 5's) performed very well.
But after about 40 seconds, bong AWD overheated. Sit and idles till the light goes out, another 20 seconds of snow trudging, bong same scenario and stink. Eventually made it up the hill , guess the stink is the oil heating up and the venting system letting pressure out/odour. No oil anywhere she's fine. But the system seems to be a bit on the touchy side.
It's good thing I do not live up a hill though, but I guess it's mainly designed for 40 seconds or less of AWD assist, ie: pulling into driveway etc, it's not a 4wd bushwhacker. Goes in for her first brake service,AWD oil change etc in Feb.
Has had one oil change so far, 21,*** Kms.
image.jpg

·
Banned
806 Posts
Did you not read your owners manual?

General Information
Your vehicle has been designed primarily for use on pavement, however, its higher ground clearance allows you to occasionally travel on unpaved roads. It is not designed for trail-blazing, or other challenging off-road activities.
If you decide to drive on unpaved roads, you will find that it requires somewhat different driving skills and that your vehicle will handle somewhat differently than it does on pavement. Pay attention to the precautions and tips in this section, and get acquainted with your vehicle before leaving the pavement.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Asinine comments aside unless mistakingly took as :), yes yes I have read most of it anyways. Does not go into any detail about how the dual pump system works etc. Unless I over looked something.
Did you read my comments, I did not assume this was a back roads bushwhacker , I was trying to go up a snowy hill with about 3/4 foot of snow.
I wanted to know if this is normal operation or not overheating so fast as the book basically says if light flashes, put in neutral till light extinguishes. But says little much else..

·
Registered
442 Posts
that is strange, I have been gone up snowy inclines many times and dont think my system has ever overheated. In older crvs there is nothing on the dash to show that the awd is not functioning.
I have had traction / slipping issues going up hill few times, in which case have backed down and used torque and a few tries to get me going up.

·
Banned
806 Posts
A lot don't read their manual, and it is surprising how many think they are off road vehicles. Is it leaking, low on fluid, has the fluid ever been changed? If so, was it changed with the correct fluid? That is where I would start.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said , it's going for its first b16 in February. Last time I was at dealer I had them check the rear differentials oil because we're not planning on being back at the dealer for a few months. But tech said was nice and clean at 18**+Kms and leave the rear dif till its b16 which is coming up in Feb, 1st rear dif change, inspection etc.
Just looked though book again, just a blurb on letting it cool down.
This is a Accord based suv, I'd not do anything in it I'd do with my Niva when I manage to find one lol.

·
Registered
442 Posts
is yours a gen4 ? if so I think there were some software updates for the awd system. I have heard of instances where awd system performing better after the software update.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
jarri's profile says it is a 2015 ES with around 13-14,000 miles on it.
Be sure to tell the Dealer of the problem and ask about any software updates, as vhercules suggested.
Doesn't sound like it is working properly. Never had problems with AWD on the 2000, even in deep snow, etc.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Same here. Never had problems with either of my three Gen.1 CRV’s nor my current Gen.3 CRV

But, it could be one hell of a hill and then I could see it doing that! It is what it is.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jarri's profile says it is a 2015 ES with around 13-14,000 miles on it.
Be sure to tell the Dealer of the problem and ask about any software updates, as vhercules suggested.
Doesn't sound like it is working properly. Never had problems with AWD on the 2000, even in deep snow, etc.

Buffalo4
It's a '15 Touring actually just waiting to see what dealer says, come now or wait till February appointment. They're 5 hours away.

·
Registered
868 Posts
^^ 5 hours away from your dealer? You must have wanted a CRV pretty bad. I think I would have chosen something closer. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its the way things are up here we have to drive two hours to grocery shop, local dealers are Ford and Chev , so no lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think Deler rep misunderstood me, said sometimes you need to turn off traction control in deep snow (something I know) he replied. I don't think he saw that I said AWD light came on not (traction control blinking)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just another blurb that my '09 has never overheated trudging through a foot of snow on VT backroads or my rather tenacious hilly driveway out in the sticks. I do tend to turn the traction control off if I'm heading into rough territory. I wouldn't say that I go 4 wheeling, but I've never felt constrained by the system. Hard to say if you have a legitimate problem or if you did go over the limits somehow. The Gen 3 system is entirely mechanical, not sure if the new system has some diagnostics available.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yea v4 engine is too weak to provide 4wd. You need at least a v6 or v8.
Not true ! use lower gear d3 or lower and it does pretty well. I have taken it off pavement a no of times and ground clearance has stopped me not the real time 4wd.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yea v4 engine is too weak to provide 4wd. You need at least a v6 or v8.
First, it's an inline 4, not a V4. Second, engine power has nothing to do with the AWD system overheating. By your logic, many Jeeps wouldn't be AWD capable either.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys n gals I was trying to gracefully ignore the troll but you took the bait.
I agree with you all, Look at the Lada Niva, Suzuki Samurai they all have under 100 hp . But real transfer cases etc with low gearing etc .
The Subaru Justy was a 3 cyl 4wd with electronic locked 4wd and was pretty much unstoppable even with no mechanical locking hubs, diff etc :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts