Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much MPG difference or tire wear issues? What about repair issues/costs for the extra rear drive- as in is the awd system. Pretty solid and problem free? George

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Is there much MPG difference or tire wear issues? What about repair issues/costs for the extra rear drive- as in is the awd system. Pretty solid and problem free? George
Repair cost will be higher because the AWD has more components than the FWD. You might see a slight hit in fuel economy with the AWD, but nothing too drastic. As long as you rotate your tires they will wear evenly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As coastie has mentioned mpg hit is very slight. as for maintenance costs you are looking at rear diff fluid changes roughly around every 20-25k miles. not very costly and if you are a DIY guy then even cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all, but no one has mentioned how many miles a first gen CRV is good for. LIke oil consumption or trans failures? 200 easily? 300? Thanks, George

·
Registered
197 Posts
My '97 AWD had 192k miles on it when an F150 driver totaled it. Never had an oil consumption or AWD problem, had to replace the radiator at about 180k. The transmission light (flashing D) came on at 130k but that was after a lot of driving in torrential rain: took it to the nearest dealer to investigate and they wanted $3000 to replace it, but in actuality it was the sensor getting fooled by the wetness somehow. It went off after we had stopped for a little while and never came on again.

You can check out the exact EPA ratings or the easier to browse all FWD models and all AWD models lists. Rule of thumb, you lose 1mpg with AWD vs FWD.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just did a 400 mile all interstate trip in my '13 AWD driving 80 in SD (new legal speed limit) and 75 in IA and NE. Averaged 33 mpg. Not too shabby for AWD.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks to all, but no one has mentioned how many miles a first gen CRV is good for. LIke oil consumption or trans failures? 200 easily? 300? Thanks, George
if well maintained then 200/300 plus is possible. I have seen number of gen1 with that kind of mileage with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just did a 400 mile all interstate trip in my '13 AWD driving 80 in SD (new legal speed limit) and 75 in IA and NE. Averaged 33 mpg. Not too shabby for AWD.
I did a similar trip - Lincoln, NE to Fort Collins, CO. First time, through Nebraska and then Colorado, second time through Wyoming and then Nebraska. I got 27 MPG first time and 30 second time/return with my 2015 AWD EXL.

I have no clue why I am not getting the mileage everyone else is getting..... Oh well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did a similar trip - Lincoln, NE to Fort Collins, CO. First time, through Nebraska and then Colorado, second time through Wyoming and then Nebraska. I got 27 MPG first time and 30 second time/return with my 2015 AWD EXL.

I have no clue why I am not getting the mileage everyone else is getting..... Oh well.
Fuelly reports 27.49±0.21mpg over the 2015's, and you can see below that I'm getting 27.2. Going through NE, CO, WY, you're looking at 75-80mph speed limits, so that will certainly ding your fuel economy if you go that kind of speed. On reasonably flat 55mph roads I can get 37mpg, on 70mph ones I can get 32mpg if I'm lucky that there's no headwind.

I figure that those getting a particularly beneficial bit of engine engineering variance, or those who have the emptiest roads to practice hypermiling on, or those with the best morning/evening prevailing wind arrangements, or those who have some technique I'm not privy to, are the ones most likely to have some good fuel economy news they want to share with the rest of us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts