Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - here it is, my first thread! So my wife took the 2021 to Autonation Roseville for the B 1 service at 16662 miles. She was quoted $79 (thanks to a discount coupon) for this service. They contacted her a little later and said the total would be $279.67, so they were only off by $200. Great. The reason for the added cost was the addition of a number of items such as washer fluid, parts cleaner and a 14mm washer but here's where it got interesting:
  • MISC 10K Service ($179.98)?
  • PP115 SDC Add-on - Motor Oil Treatment ($20.99)?
  • PP2912 SDC Ethanol Corrosion Inhibitor ($28.99)?
  • PP6577 SDC Engine Performance Service ($63.99)?
I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems not only excessive but a classic example of bait and switch. And for a nearly new vehicle with just over 15k miles on it, that seems like an awful lot of add-ons. I've owned 8 new vehicles and numerous used cars and this something I've never encountered.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,093 Posts
B1 is a oil/filter change and a quick general inspection along with a tire rotation. All the rest is a dealer markup not recommended by Honda. See your owner's manual for recommended service.
All modern cars use materials that ethanol doesn't harm so a corrosion inhibitor is not necessary. There is nothing a "motor oil treatment" can add that isn't already in today's synthetic super oils.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, they do not have the right to do any extra work that was not already agreed upon.

Second, you have the right to say no to any extra work they suggest.

Sadly, many service depts/service garages will take advantage of those who will not speak up.
I forgot to add that they called my wife with the estimate and she agreed to it. My wife is very intelligent but unsophisticated in matters automotive, but I definitely felt like she was buffaloed by the service advisor and agreed to the charges because they told her it was all recommended.

Nevertheless, I plan to speaks to the service manager and general manager if necessary.

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The original quote for $79 should have covered it. A B 1 is an oil/filter change with some quick inspections that are usually free (e.g. make sure your brake and fuel system isn't rusting out) (B) and a tire rotation (1). The "Misc. 10K service" and three different wallet-flushing procedures were all needless nonsense.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, follow up after I decided to drive out there and tear the Service Manager a new one rather than calling. I figured that 6'4" angry guy makes a better impression than random fool on the phone.

I spoke with the manager (whose name now escapes me) and told him what I thought about the excess, unnecessary charges, adding that the only item they failed to charge her for was Blinker Fluid! I stated that this whole thing was wildly unethical and I fully expected them to refund every cent over the original estimate. He was very accommodating in his tone, and he told me he understood why I was upset, and asked me to wait in his office for a few minutes.

When he came back, he apologized for his employee (while obliquely blaming him for what is probably a fairly common practice) and said he would have a discussion with him about this kind of thing. Then he told me he had refunded the entire amount. So the $280 invoice ended up being $0.00!! Getting a B 1 service for free took the sting out of taking time out of my workday to drive out there and bitch them out.

Sometimes good things happen. Thanks for all the responses and have an awesome day!

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,601 Posts
Hi All - here it is, my first thread! So my wife took the 2021 to Autonation Roseville for the B 1 service at 16662 miles. She was quoted $79 (thanks to a discount coupon) for this service. They contacted her a little later and said the total would be $279.67, so they were only off by $200. Great. The reason for the added cost was the addition of a number of items such as washer fluid, parts cleaner and a 14mm washer but here's where it got interesting:
  • MISC 10K Service ($179.98)?
  • PP115 SDC Add-on - Motor Oil Treatment ($20.99)?
  • PP2912 SDC Ethanol Corrosion Inhibitor ($28.99)?
  • PP6577 SDC Engine Performance Service ($63.99)?
I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems not only excessive but a classic example of bait and switch. And for a nearly new vehicle with just over 15k miles on it, that seems like an awful lot of add-ons. I've owned 8 new vehicles and numerous used cars and this something I've never encountered.

Thoughts?
My thoughts:

Not sure what state you live in, but in most states, a service provider cannot perform a service without your consent. So, if you consented to these frivolous services you itemized above, that is unfortunately on you for approving them. You can claim you were suckered or taken advantage of, but my guess is you legally consented to the services, which means you have no standing to complain after the fact. If services were performed without your consent, then you have legal cause to force them to refund the amount and to complain to your states consumer protection authority.

A B1 service is well defined and a very basic repeating service at Honda Dealers. NONE of the items you listed above, as Traylaw noted earlier, are recommended by Honda in their owners documentation.

Personally, I would report this dealership directly to Honda Customer Service, in the form of a formal complaint for recommending services not required by Honda in any way. I also would not do business with them in the future, because clearly they are simply making up "extra services" to offer and charge for that are not endorsed by Honda.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
So, follow up after I decided to drive out there and tear the Service Manager a new one rather than calling. I figured that 6'4" angry guy makes a better impression than random fool on the phone.

I spoke with the manager (whose name now escapes me) and told him what I thought about the excess, unnecessary charges, adding that the only item they failed to charge her for was Blinker Fluid! I stated that this whole thing was wildly unethical and I fully expected them to refund every cent over the original estimate. He was very accommodating in his tone, and he told me he understood why I was upset, and asked me to wait in his office for a few minutes.

When he came back, he apologized for his employee (while obliquely blaming him for what is probably a fairly common practice) and said he would have a discussion with him about this kind of thing. Then he told me he had refunded the entire amount. So the $280 invoice ended up being $0.00!! Getting a B 1 service for free took the sting out of taking time out of my workday to drive out there and bitch them out.

Sometimes good things happen. Thanks for all the responses and have an awesome day!
Not sufficient. If you do not formally report this incident and complain to Honda, this dealer will keep doing this to other customers. So, how about thinking beyond just your own interests here?

The reason the service manager refunded the entire amount is because he knows the dealership is in the wrong here, and is afraid you will report them to Honda for bad customer service. In fact, most Honda owners get a customer quality and satisfaction survey from Honda Corporate after a service visit, and Honda uses these as a quality gate to determine dealer malfeasance and forcing corrective practices upon the dealer.

A Honda dealership with multiple repeat complaints from customers .... generally gets sanctioned by Honda, and if they continue they could lose their Honda Dealership over it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sufficient. If you do not formally report this incident and complain to Honda, this dealer will keep doing this to other customers. So, how about thinking beyond just your own interests here?

The reason the service manager refunded the entire amount is because he knows the dealership is in the wrong here, and is afraid you will report them to Honda for bad customer service. In fact, most Honda owners get a customer quality and satisfaction survey from Honda Corporate after a service visit, and Honda uses these as a quality gate to determine dealer malfeasance and forcing corrective practices upon the dealer.

A Honda dealership with multiple repeat complaints from customers .... generally gets sanctioned by Honda, and if they continue they could lose their Honda Dealership over it.
I am contacting Honda. This will also be reflected in the follow-up survey.

Here is the email I sent to Honda:
Hello, my wife went to Autonation Roseville for a B 1 service which was quoted at $79. After leaving the vehicle, the service advisor called to tell her that they recommended a variety of other services for 15k miles and the new estimate was $279.67.
She approved the work and when I saw the invoice I decided to go and confront the service manager. The items added are nowhere to be found in the maintenance schedule, and they are not part of a B 1 service. I accused them of taking advantage of my wife's lack of comprehensive understanding of what is and isn't needed when servicing a newer vehicle. Basically, we're talking classic bait and switch and it is totally unacceptable. I asked to have the additional unnecessary charges refunded, but the service manager (to his credit) refunded the entire invoice. An unexpected bonus and I was glad to get the money back, but this doesn't address the fact that it would appear that Autonation Honda employees are being trained to rip off unsuspecting customer.
Frankly, it's something that Honda should investigate since there are doubtless others who have experienced the same thing and may not have taken the steps I did to rectify the situation. I hope you will do your due diligence and investigate these practices at this dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,125 Posts
Moral of the story, handle the car servicing yourself from now on. Not trying to be sexist here, but no matter how much a female knows about cars, there are service people out there who will always try and take advantage of them.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I'm nearing my B1 service.
Got a offer mail from my dealership saying 130$ special for B1 service. I'm sure it has many unwanted items baked into it.

So my question to fellow hybrid owners who do service at Honda dealership, how much is the realistic estimate for only doing a B1 service?

I might even follow the advice here, to take it America tires for the wheel rotation. I can have a look at my future tire options as well.

PS: I don't have the tools and facility to do service myself.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,793 Posts
Got a offer mail from my dealership saying 130$ special for B1 service. I'm sure it has many unwanted items baked into it.

So my question to fellow hybrid owners who do service at Honda dealership, how much is the realistic estimate for only doing a B1 service?

I might even follow the advice here, to take it America tires for the wheel rotation. I can have a look at my future tire options as well.

If it’s strictly a B1 (oil/filter, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection with fluid top up), my dealer charges $90. What’s the mileage on your car?

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
If it’s strictly a B1 (oil/filter, tire rotation, and multi-point inspection with fluid top up), my dealer charges $90. What’s the mileage on your car?
I'm near 12700 miles. Last A1 service at 6900. MM show 40% oil life left before B1. (I might be still 3 or 4 months away before I hit 15%.)

Font Rectangle Circle Number Electric blue

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,793 Posts
I'm near 12700 miles. Last A1 service at 6900. MM show 40% oil life left before B1. (I might be still 3 or 4 months away before I hit 15%.)

View attachment 156710
I was asking because you are approaching the mileage where mine called for a B6 which includes differential fluid change. My first service (A1) was at 7.6k, the 2nd service (B6) was 16.3k.

With the 2nd service, I also chose to have cabin and air filters replaced (recommended at 15k for dusty conditions) and in addition to getting my tires rotated, I also had them balanced. Wiper blades also needed replacement.

So with all those additional services at 16k, the bill was $400.

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts

Prices vary by state and locality. Nature of different state laws that regulate service providers, and local labor rates (labor is the biggest sunk cost for a dealer for an A or B service.

As for the B service itself, it should include not only the oil change, but also checking and topping up other fluids, as well as inspection and lubrication of moving body parts, and inspect brakes and lubricate brake pins. Basically, it's an extra ~ half hour of labor, though in most states service providers work from state approved labor fee tables... meaning that whether it takes them 10 minutes or 2 hours....the fee for the service is the same.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Prices vary by state and locality. Nature of different state laws that regulate service providers, and local labor rates (labor is the biggest sunk cost for a dealer for an A or B service.

As for the B service itself, it should include not only the oil change, but also checking and topping up other fluids, as well as inspection and lubrication of moving body parts, and inspect brakes and lubricate brake pins. Basically, it's an extra ~ half hour of labor, though in most states service providers work from state approved labor fee tables... meaning that whether it takes them 10 minutes or 2 hours....the fee for the service is the same.
The B service is just visual safety inspections (and replacing the oil filter, but is any dealer not replacing that with the A service too?) I can't speak to all dealers, but mine performs those inspections (along with plugging the battery into their battery analyzer) "free" every time the car rolls into the bay, no matter what it's there for, even warranty service. The B service does not call for lubing the brake pins, door hinges, sunroof, or any other part. (And the suspension, like with most non-trucks, is sealed.)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts