Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Moral of the story, handle the car servicing yourself from now on. Not trying to be sexist here, but no matter how much a female knows about cars, there are service people out there who will always try and take advantage of them.
My wife feels pretty bad about it and has admitted already that I will be the POC when our vehicles are serviced. And it is true that dealership folks are generally dismissive of women, regardless of their level of understanding of cars.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,552 Posts
The B service does not call for lubing the brake pins, door hinges, sunroof, or any other part. (The suspension, like with most non-trucks, is sealed.)
B service may not require these lube steps for moving parts like hinges, etc, but they are specifically delineated in the B service performed by my dealership and ARE recommended steps every year by Honda. My dealer simply incorporates the Honda recommendation for lubrication of non-suspension parts into their normal B service... to insure it gets done periodically. Frankly, syncing this into a B service is actually in line with the way Honda approaches service and maintenance (syncing services to minimize the number of owner visits to a dealer for service).

Of course you could DIY the annual inspection and lube yourself, but that is not the point of this thread topic.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,552 Posts
My wife feels pretty bad about it and has admitted already that I will be the POC when our vehicles are serviced. And it is true that dealership folks are generally dismissive of women, regardless of their level of understanding of cars.
It is indeed a fact that some dealership (even independent service providers) will try to recommend more services to women patrons than men. Hard to break generations of institutionalized gender bias in America, so you need a plan to deal with it.

My wife and I created a plan many years ago: When she takes her vehicle in for service, I instruct her to only have service performed that is flagged by the MM. Now, particularly with a B service a service provider might find concerns during inspection that warrant additional service. Our plan is if this happens, she tells them she must first check with her husband (thus short circuiting the gender bias), and she does.. and if I agree with the recommendation, I tell her to authorize it, and if I do not she tells them thanks but no thanks. And that is it. It works very well in addressing this tendency to over-recommend to women patrons.

Sometimes though, they do make a sound recommendation, and we accept it as additional service, so the dealers recommending things is not all evil as some owners try to make it out to be.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I received the following response from American Honda Motor Co. today, FWIW:

Thank you for contacting American Honda regarding your service experience at AutoNation Honda Roseville. We want to thank you for providing us the opportunity to respond to your message. On behalf of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., we apologize for the circumstances which prompted you to contact us.

American Honda documents and uses feedback in developing training for dealership management. We want to ensure that all customers have a smooth and stress-free service experience. As such, we have documented a formal dealership complaint on your behalf.

We apologize for any inconvenience and welcome you to reply to this email with any additional comments or concerns. Your case will be closed at this time.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
B service may not require these lube steps for moving parts like hinges, etc, but they are specifically delineated in the B service performed by my dealership and ARE recommended steps every year by Honda. My dealer simply incorporates the Honda recommendation for lubrication of non-suspension parts into their normal B service... to insure it gets done periodically. Frankly, syncing this into a B service is actually in line with the way Honda approaches service and maintenance (syncing services to minimize the number of owner visits to a dealer for service).

Of course you could DIY the annual inspection and lube yourself, but that is not the point of this thread topic.
In what document does Honda recommend this? Genuinely curious. You would have thought they'd mention it in the customer's maintenance guide, so people that don't service their vehicles at Honda would know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All - here it is, my first thread! So my wife took the 2021 to Autonation Roseville for the B 1 service at 16662 miles. She was quoted $79 (thanks to a discount coupon) for this service. They contacted her a little later and said the total would be $279.67, so they were only off by $200. Great. The reason for the added cost was the addition of a number of items such as washer fluid, parts cleaner and a 14mm washer but here's where it got interesting:
  • MISC 10K Service ($179.98)?
  • PP115 SDC Add-on - Motor Oil Treatment ($20.99)?
  • PP2912 SDC Ethanol Corrosion Inhibitor ($28.99)?
  • PP6577 SDC Engine Performance Service ($63.99)?
I don't know about the rest of you, but this seems not only excessive but a classic example of bait and switch. And for a nearly new vehicle with just over 15k miles on it, that seems like an awful lot of add-ons. I've owned 8 new vehicles and numerous used cars and this something I've never encountered.

Thoughts?
I would never go back to that dealer. All of that sounds like a scam.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX
63 Posts
Beware the next time you take it in for service. Depending on the mileage (and it may not show up on the MM), they'll tell you it needs an engine air filter and cabin air filter, and that will be $200 please.

If you have two thumbs, a screwdriver and fifteen minutes to spare you can change both of them for less than $25. Buy them on Amazon and go to YouTube for instructions.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,473 Posts
If you have two thumbs, a screwdriver and fifteen minutes to spare you can change both of them for less than $25. Buy them on Amazon and go to YouTube for instructions.
Most of that time will be spent picking up the contents of your glove box & putting them back in so they don't stick out of the top.

·
Super Moderator
2021 CRV EX-L
1,107 Posts
Beware the next time you take it in for service. Depending on the mileage (and it may not show up on the MM), they'll tell you it needs an engine air filter and cabin air filter, and that will be $200 please.

Yup. Replaced both last month and added it to my service record on the Honda website so that any dealer will know it was done. BTW, use a socket wrench on the engine air cleaner screws so you don't strip them if they are too tight.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I have both items in the garage. I've been aware of this particular nonsense for a long time!

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,787 Posts

$100 parts and labor total for both at my dealer. Just information for lazy people like me.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
If you have two thumbs, a screwdriver and fifteen minutes to spare you can change both of them for less than $25.
I have the screwdriver, need to go and get the other items. Where did I keep my thumbs?..
Thumbs apart, I could find the following items from Amazon for my 2020 Hybrid
And Amazon says both doesn't fit my car. So any suggestions on which one to go for for a Hybrid?

Edit: I went ahead and tried to check both these filters. And for the hybrid, the screwdriver is not needed to open the engine air filter cover. Just need to flip open two clips.
Motor vehicle Hood Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas

Access to the part is trickier, than the gas version, as it is located behind the engine in a hybrid.

Replaced both last month and added it to my service record on the Honda website so that any dealer will know it was done.
How to do that. You call the service department and ask them to add it for you? or while visiting for service, you ask them to add it?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,787 Posts
I have the screwdriver, need to go and get the other items. Where did I keep my thumbs?..
Thumbs apart, I could find the following items from Amazon for my 2020 Hybrid
And Amazon says both doesn't fit my car. So any suggestions on which one to go for for a Hybrid?

Edit: I went ahead and tried to check both these filters. And for the hybrid, the screwdriver is not needed to open the engine air filter cover. Just need to flip open two clips.
View attachment 156814
Access to the part is trickier, than the gas version, as it is located behind the engine in a hybrid.

How to do that. You call the service department and ask them to add it for you? or while visiting for service, you ask them to add it?
The part numbers you have match what’s on the invoice from my last service.

if you login to the Honda owners site you can see dealer service records and create your own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to add that they called my wife with the estimate and she agreed to it. My wife is very intelligent but unsophisticated in matters automotive, but I definitely felt like she was buffaloed by the service advisor and agreed to the charges because they told her it was all recommended.

Nevertheless, I plan to speaks to the service manager and general manager if necessary.

Thanks for the input!!
I am like your wife! It’s so frustrating having an up sell happen. I usually have them talk to my husband! I’m not proud about it, but I hate being ripped off!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Our last experience for my gf was not great.

About 10 upsell items. Hell I had to finally tell them I'm following the maintenance minder and to stop asking.

At least one other time I gave in and let them drain and refill the CVT just to get them to shut up.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX
63 Posts
The part numbers you have match what’s on the invoice from my last service.

if you login to the Honda owners site you can see dealer service records and create your own.

Well, to each their own but you can get just as good filters that aren't labelled "OEM" for half the price and made at the same factory (FRAM makes Honda filters).

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,787 Posts
21 - 40 of 47 Posts