Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2005 EX that has developed a click/tick in the left side B pillar when going over bumps. It sounds like it's coming from the seat belt shoulder adjuster area. I have removed the trim and tried to figure out what the problem is. So far I have done the following, but the noise is still there: (1) removed the shoulder belt adjuster mechanism; (2) lubricated the door latch; (3) adjusted the door latch position slightly; (4) lubricated the door seals; (5) placed some electrical tape under the seat belt retractor mounts; (6) checked the roof trim (no roof rack installed); and (7) sprayed silicone around the welded seams.

I am now thinking that I need to remove all the foam cushion tapes to look inside the pillar and maybe spray more silicone. Has anybody encountered this before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I haven't, but will check it. Interesting suggestion because I recently had the dealer replace the left front seat belt buckle (switch problem tripping srs light). Strange that a loose seat would cause a sound in the b pillar at ear level (unless my ears are playing tricks on me).

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Try this When your inside seated in the driver seat. Rock the seat back & forth while seated see if you can replicate the problem. I have this experience while trying to diagnose a bad wheel bearing. It sounds like it coming from the front but after lifting the vehicle manualy spining every wheel it turned out its the rear driver bearing. As you mentioned they changed the buckle. Check that area too. I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I tried rocking the seat, but didn't hear anything. Still sounds like it's coming from the seat belt shoulder height adjuster area. I might have to hit to with a hammer--maybe that will make it worse or fix it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have alloy rims or steel wheels with plastic wheel covers?
This may be waaay off base, but Iv'e got a clicking/clacking noise on my 2007.
I thought it was the door trim or something loose inside the door. I searched and searched with no luck.
It wasn't until my wife said "the wheel is falling off" (over exageration of course) that I figgured out what was going on. The plastic wheel cover was loose. They snap into place and apparently over time can wear and "slap" against the steel wheel. I took them off to check and the noise went away. Why the sound seemed to be comming from the door i dont' know. I still havent figgured out how my wife knew it was the wheel.:eek:

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
So true with cars or vehicles anything is possible. I know a friend has a problem. Said that he has clunking noise on his car right side of the vehicle turned out he has so much junk in the glove compartment, that it sounded like a bad clunk in right suspension. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still haven't figured out my problem. I tried putting some cardboard in the door seal area in various places to see if maybe the door is tapping the b-pillar. I am still working on it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes--sorry forgot to respond to that. I have alloy wheels so I didn't check them. Maybe I will check the lug torque anyway when I get home today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have this creaking noise in the b-pillar problem. Seems to creak/pop when the body flexes. I figure it's probably a bad weld somewhere, but can't figure it out. I have tried prying a bit between the spot welds around the doors/b-pillar and hear various places "pop" but I don't think that's it because it hasn't helped or made it worse. Any recommendations or tools I should use? I tried a cheap mechanics stethoscope but couldn't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've had a similar problem in another car I used to own. I think it was the switch for the automatic seat belt tensioning device. You might try holding your seat belt out a ways further or alternately cinching it up tighter and see if that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply. Several months ago I drove around without the upper seat belt anchor in place and still heard the noise. I haven't tried removing the lower seat belt mechanism (spool) because I didn't want to set an SRS code, but maybe I need to pull that out too.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Just a crazy question. Have you tried to drive with no eat belt on? Or try to max out the belt while someone with you then drive around with the belt maxed out , see if the noise goes away. Let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This morning, I tried to drive with the seat belt extended all the way. Didn't seem to help anything. I also re-greased the door hinges, latch mechanisms and rubber door seals. The ticking seemed a bit better, but not completely gone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
On your idea of a bad weld or the b-pillar flexing... Try parking your CRV with one wheel popped up on a curb, try to open your door. Also, if it does open, close it and visually inspect from the exterior for larger or smaller gaps between your panels around the pillar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts