Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 28,000 miles on my 2016 Honda CR-V. I just got MM reminder for an oil with a code of B12. I understand that the B service is a more detailed where the brakes, etc. are checked. The last time I had received a reminder for a B service was at 14,000 miles. At that time I had skipped it and just got the A service done since I had only 14k miles on my car. Can I skip it this time as well and just do an A oil change or should I get a B service? An A service oil change costs $44 and a B service costs $124.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
It's not just a letter code. There are numbers as well. Scroll down to see the numbers and service description.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you skipped it the last time why would you skip it again this time?

Either trust the Maintenance Minder system, or go back to doing all of your maintenance based on miles driven.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,184 Posts
Miles AND Time, right @racoon?.

But, I thought that the difference between the MM's A code and B code was changing the oil filter. (Honda only recommends a filter EVERY OTHER oil change.) The other, routine checks are Good Practice anytime you are servicing the car.

Most of us (and most of the service shops) replace the oil filter every change.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Miles AND Time, right @racoon?.
Miles OR time, whichever comes first. :D

Here's what my 2014 Owners Manual on Page 274 says.

Maintenance Service Items
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

Maintenance Main Items
A ● Replace engine oil*1
B ● Replace engine oil*1 and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSA)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system#
● Inspect fuel lines and connections#

Footnotes:
*1: If a message SERVICE does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
# : See information on maintenance and emissions warranty.

Maintenance Sub Items
1 ● Rotate tires
2 ● Replace air cleaner element*2
● Replace dust and pollen filter*3
● Inspect drive belt
3 ● Replace transmission fluid*4
4 ● Replace spark plugs
● Inspect valve clearance
5 ● Replace engine coolant
6 ● Replace rear differential fluid*

Footnotes:
*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
*3: If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
*4: If you tow your vehicle behind a motorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
Its entirely up to the owner. But I prefer to know that my brakes will work when I ask them to-and that the guy behind me has good brakes as well.

Brake pads wear out. If you let them wear too much, they destroy the rotors and your cost skyrockets. You can check pad depth yourself if you know what to look for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts