Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I took my 2016 CRV AWD to the dealer for B16 service, as apparently they require the first change at 15k and then every 30k thereafter. The light actually came on when I was around 14,500. The maintenance info showed oil life at 50%, a 1 for tire rotation, and the 6 for the awd fluid. I opted to only get the diff fluid done as I'd be back soon enough for oil and tire rotation (I'm opting to keep tire rotation schedule in line with oil changes). I assumed the maintenance minder was reset, or that they could do a line-item reset, and when I drove the car home the light was off.

This morning on the way to work, the MM suddenly comes back on. I check vehicle info, and the code is B16 as before. When I called the dealer, the guy was sure it was because the tech didn't actually do the reset, and that he probably couldn't because the 6 is a line item, and presumably I should have also gotten the rotation. This doesn't seem right as the light was off until a couple hours ago and I explained this to the service advisor.

The suggestion was that I just leave it alone and bring the car in for oil and tires when that's due, and then it will be fully reset. And obviously they should see that the diff fluid was already done. Does this seem right? Maybe the MM light itself was reset and then after some driving the schedule decided that no service had been done?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,012 Posts
The MM isn't as 'smart' as you assume. The oil life is calculated by various factors, but the secondary services such as the diff fluid will be displayed when an oil change is close-by. (A 6 by itself will not turn on the light).

So the strange thing is that with an estimated oil life at 40%, the wrench came on? It normally comes on at 15%.

And the tech was correct not to reset the MM. If you left the oil change 'til another day, he shouldn't have reset it, as that wipes out the memory for all the codes. There is no 'line item' reset as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well part of the problem is I don't know what the honda dash lights mean - it's the TPMS, not the maintenance minder. I immediately went down the wrong path and saw that "AWD oil" was up on the vehicle info screen. At least I did get that changed about when honda recommends it. My tires are fine, this appears to be a well-known problem with honda's monitoring system. Figured out how to reset it but now I have to wonder what happens if I actually have low tire pressure, because I'm going to assume it's a bug every time that warning light comes on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Figured out how to reset it but now I have to wonder what happens if I actually have low tire pressure, because I'm going to assume it's a bug every time that warning light comes on.
Check your tire pressure with a gauge. Add/release air as needed until all your tires are properly inflated. Then reset the TPMS. That’s how you calibrate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts