Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am interested in adding some power to my b20b in my 1998 CR-V AWD. Looking for things I can do and still use as my daily driver, weekend jobs. Anyone got some advice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A couple of easy mods to make power are:

Replace your intake.
Change over the rear muffler for a straight through design.
Change your throttle body for a larger unit.
Run higher octane fuel.
Use thinner oil for the engine 5w etc
Change tyres for a slightly lower profile making overall diameter smaller.
Remove weight from the vehicle: rear speakers, carpets, mats etc you get the idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could you explain more?

VTEC head? explain pls... what motor and which car..

Replace your intake? u mean changes to CAI?

Throttle body for larger unit?? explain that as well..

I'm very interested in these stuff.. my CRV is the 3rd one.. and as I have it longer, the more i learn about this 2001 CRV.... got my first standard (3rd crv) finally..

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Go to google and type in

b20 vtec

You will find all the info you want and more. Parts required, average costs, and how to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Lionheart1980, basically what they are telling you is to replace certain parts of your engine so that you can get more horsepower and speed.

The Vtec head is the top part of a Honda engine that has a dual overhead cams with Vtec valve for each camshaft, this will provide more compression plus change your engine to a Vtec one, which will provide more horsepower. The intake is the aluminum part of your engine that allows air to be mixed with fuel and injected to your cylinders, and the throttle body is the part of the intake that allows more or less air to come through, its sort of a bypass valve that you open or close when you press on the gas pedal.

Basically the more air your engine can inhale and inject to your cylinders, the more horsepower you can make.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Southwind - I got the spoilers from a part CRV i have in the back, got the whole crv for 300 bucks, best part CRV i ever bought.. got loads of great parts of it. :p

Dique - Ah i see, thanks for the very clear explanation. Ok, so the Vtec head is probably more tesious task so i'll pass for now. About changing the intake, how do you propose to do that? I don't think you can fit a different alum. intake on the B20Z... And about the throttle boy, i seen some ppl says to change it to bigger one.. i was thinking ok, which car of the scrapyard will have that throttle boy it will fit on my motor? Is it just a simple swap? Leave all the MAP, TPS on them as well?

Again, thanks for your time and patience.. i love to tinkers those CRV, i think they're wicked jeeps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off do not waste your money on higher octane fuel. You will get no performance gains out of it...just wasting your money UNLESS you are going turbo or high compression NA. The cheapest way to get a decent amount of power is through a turbo kit. I have even ran a few ebay units with success but that was babying those Chinese turbos at 9psi or less. On a stock daily CRV I wouldn't push no more than 9spsi anyways. People buy those cheap ebay kits and try to run 15+ psi on them...big no no. Get a good Turbonetics with a built block for that much boost. Anyways I tend to ramble lol...my vote is to get you a cheap turbo kit and run 8psi and enjoy it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts