Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2018 Touring was due for the B7 service which requires replacing the brake fluid. In my 39 years of driving an owning cars this is the first time I ever had to do this for any car. I did it because we have an extended warranty and want to be sure to stay in compliance with any terms that might limit my coverage.

I had the oil changed, tires rotated, and the brake fluid service and the total cost with tax and shop/environment fees was $126.38. The service took about 1.25 hours to complete. I thought this was very reasonable and I was pleasantly surprised. I checked beforehand and there were no dealer or Honda coupons for this that I could find. The actual cost for the brake service was $56.29.

Does this compare favorably with what you have seen in your part of the country? I am in Appleton, WI. Hopefully the CVT service is just as reasonable.

Also one other point. I checked the oil after the change and it was actually 0.25 inches below the high mark so no overfill from my dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
My CRV just had this service for the brake fluid change. Mine was ~$125 just for that + the oil change service. If I recall correctly the fluid itself was ~$45 and the rest was labor.

I'm sure it varies depending on where you live. I live in the Bay Area, California. Generally these fees are based on state approved tables of labor and materials costs for each service line item. It is how the states control and enforce fair pricing for vehicle service and mainteance. Labor is generally the bigger component in the total cost, and if you life in a high cost of living urban area as I do, labor rates will be higher. Note: I called both dealers I use in my area (the one I buy my Hondas from, and the one I usually have my Hondas serviced with) and they both quoted the same price for the brake fluid change and they are both within a couple dollars of each other on the oil service.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My CRV just had this service for the brake fluid change. Mine was ~$125 just for that + the oil change service. If I recall correctly the fluid itself was ~$45 and the rest was labor.

I'm sure it varies depending on where you live. I live in the Bay Area, California. Generally these fees are based on state approved tables of labor and materials costs for each service line item. It is how the states control and enforce fair pricing for vehicle service and mainteance. Labor is generally the bigger component in the total cost, and if you life in a high cost of living urban area as I do, labor rates will be higher. Note: I called both dealers I use in my area (the one I buy my Hondas from, and the one I usually have my Hondas serviced with) and they both quoted the same price for the brake fluid change and they are both within a couple dollars of each other on the oil service.
Book labor is A Thing, but the state has nothing to do with any of it; either the "book" hours, or the rates charged. Generally, dealerships used book-labor tables provided by the manufacturer, while independent shops may use tables provided by a 3rd-party. No law requires their use. And no law sets rates either; each shop is free to choose their own; in practice all the dealers for a particular brand are probably going to be pretty close. There are laws around providing customers estimates, but the state doesn't care what numbers are put on those estimates.

(It is well-known that most mechanics can beat the "book" hours; book hours are how they are often paid, and how they make a profit at a job with a crazy-high overhead cost in tools.)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
Book labor is A Thing, but the state has nothing to do with any of it; either the "book" hours, or the rates charged. Generally, dealerships used book-labor tables provided by the manufacturer, while independent shops may use tables provided by a 3rd-party. No law requires their use. And no law sets rates either; each shop is free to choose their own; in practice all the dealers for a particular brand are probably going to be pretty close. There are laws around providing customers estimates, but the state doesn't care what numbers are put on those estimates.

(It is well-known that most mechanics can beat the "book" hours; book hours are how they are often paid, and how they make a profit at a job with a crazy-high overhead cost in tools.)
I agree that "book labor hours" is specified by the manufacturer. In California, they have to also be approved as "reasonable & customary" compliant, to insure that all service providers comply with a resulting fee cap (labor hours x labor rate) to limit shenanigans being played against owners.

"Labor rates" applied to the approved book labor hours IS a state thing here in California. I'm not positive, but some counties may also weigh within their jurisdiction as well. I'm sure some states simply do not care, but California does this to prohibit service providers from inflating costs by inflating labor rates. Note: A service provider can go below approved labor rates, they just cannot exceed them, nor pad up the manufacturers book labor hours...... which in turn allows free market competition between service providers (both dealers and independents). The cap limits favor dealers, and being able to go below cap limit favors independents in a free market manner.

Compliance is managed by the state agencies performing spot audits to insure the service provider is inside the compliance limits for a service.

And yeah, I agree ... book labor hours are generally conservative and good service people can beat them without cutting corners or doing shoddy work. More profit in a well run shop, generally speaking. And, sometimes, complications occur during service (installed part defective, etc.) and the service provider loses when that happens.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have just had an AB27 (oil change + cabin filter + brake fluid) service plus a HID adjuster arm replaced that was stuck and a rear wiper changed, fire extinguisher checked. €286.51 total.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts