Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

New to the site, I’m looking at purchasing a 03 V Ex. Currently we got 05 Escape (love the room) and a Focus (don't like the room). I'm looking to get rid of the focus and get a V instead.

I like the fact the V has 3" more space in the back leg room then the escape so that will help me, but one question I have is where do you guys have your child seat installed?

Currently I have installed the car seats in the rear passenger side of each vehicle. I wanted to use the middle seat, but the child seat clinic told me both cars only have the latch system for each side and not the middle seat. So my question is has anyone installed their seat correctly using the centre rear seat? I would also like to know if you have used the LATCH system.

Here is a picture of LATCH system, just so you guys know what i'm reffering to.

I was looking at a 03 LX and I didn’t see the latch points for the middle seat, I could be wrong, but please let me know if this is true or not.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards, Mo

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a '05 and have the seat installed on the passenger side. I don't think it has LATCH points in the middle. My wife's 02 Elantra and mother-in-law's 02 Sonata doesn't have them either. I don't know if they make cars with LATCH in the middle. You could use the middle seat belt if there is a tether anchor (I don't remember off hand).

BTW, when we first had the seat installed in the other car by the hospital guy (2 years ago, WOW time flies!) he said seat belts are better than LATCH because they are wider than the LATCH straps, most people don't install LATCH right, etc. Although, I have the seat installed in my V using LATCH because if it weren't safe the government wouldn't mandate it, right? :)

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your replay. Is there much difference in rear seats from 03 to 05 models?

Also PT cruiser and Impala are cars that I know have 3 latch for the rear so if you wanted you could put 3 baby seats in the back, not that it will fit. :)

As for LATCH, i just like the way it is, i feel like i can get it lot tighter then a regualr(specially 3 point) seat belt.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Hi All.

New to the site, I’m looking at purchasing a 03 V Ex. Currently we got 05 Escape (love the room) and a Focus (don't like the room). I'm looking to get rid of the focus and get a V instead.

I like the fact the V has 3" more space in the back leg room then the escape so that will help me, but one question I have is where do you guys have your child seat installed?

Currently I have installed the car seats in the rear passenger side of each vehicle. I wanted to use the middle seat, but the child seat clinic told me both cars only have the latch system for each side and not the middle seat. So my question is has anyone installed their seat correctly using the centre rear seat? I would also like to know if you have used the LATCH system.

Here is a picture of LATCH system, just so you guys know what i'm reffering to.

I was looking at a 03 LX and I didn’t see the latch points for the middle seat, I could be wrong, but please let me know if this is true or not.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards, Mo

As per the 2003 CRv owners manual the latch points are to be used on the outer seats only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also trying to determine how to correctly install a car seat in the middle position, with or without LATCH - how do you use the seat belt? I purchased a (barely) used 07 CRV just yesterday and I don't have a full owners manual, just the quick start guide.

I am mainly concerned whether or not there is an issue with the side air bags and attaching the seat to one side (vs the middle). I would think that would be similar to the impact that the front pass bag causes (hence the auto disengage in the front pass), but I can't seem to find any info on this issue for side impact in rear.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am also trying to determine how to correctly install a car seat in the middle position, with or without LATCH - how do you use the seat belt? I purchased a (barely) used 07 CRV just yesterday and I don't have a full owners manual, just the quick start guide.

I am mainly concerned whether or not there is an issue with the side air bags and attaching the seat to one side (vs the middle). I would think that would be similar to the impact that the front pass bag causes (hence the auto disengage in the front pass), but I can't seem to find any info on this issue for side impact in rear.
You can reference your owner's manual at: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_OMANUAL.asp

Hard copy manuals are also available from Honda for the asking.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use the inner most anchors of the LHS and RHS Latch anchors. It can be done without a problem. There is an anchor in the middle on the roof at the back for the tether strap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my 2007 CR-V, we use the inner anchors from the left and right seats to mount my daughters infant seat in the middle. I find that using the provided one for the center set, off sets the seat in one direction more than the other and makes the rear seat area rather awkward.

In my 2008 Civic, there is no center latch point, granted, we don't take my daughter in that very often.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is it safe?

In my 2007 CR-V, we use the inner anchors from the left and right seats to mount my daughters infant seat in the middle. I find that using the provided one for the center set, off sets the seat in one direction more than the other and makes the rear seat area rather awkward.

In my 2008 Civic, there is no center latch point, granted, we don't take my daughter in that very often.
I realized the same thing with my '07 also and did a through research online and contacted some car safety pro and even Honda rep but no one can tell me it's safe to do it this way. There was a federal standard of 11" spacing between anchors but no one can tell me where did it came from and how was it determined and what's the impact of a slightly wider spacing. I wish I can contact the Honda engineer directly and know the design. The center anchor makes the right rear seat very narrow and my wife has to seat right behind me. This is a unbalanced car and less safe for her to exit on the road side. This is so far the most annoying design of CRV for me.:(

If you can find any supporting information on this, please let me know too. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is one site i found.

www.ech.ab.ca/programs/LATCH.pdf

If in doubt go by what the owners manual says.
Thanks for the article. The following implies that most seats are not wide enough to install three sets of anchors by a minimum spacing apart. That sure make one thinks a wider spacing (case here) would be fine but not narrower.

Why aren’t LATCH anchors always provided in
the rear center seating position?
According to government regulations, two sets of vehicle
lower anchors are required in the rear seats of vehicles
made after September 1, 2002. These anchors are
required to be a certain distance apart to keep children
safe in a crash. Most vehicle seats are not wide enough to
put anchors in all three seating positions and still meet
safety regulations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts