Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am not sure if I post it to the right forum so please forgive me if I don't. Currently my wife is pregnant and our baby girl is due on September 2nd (Yes less than a month!). We currently own a 01 Altima and 07 Accord and we are planning to replace the Altima with a small size SUV. After doing days of research, the 08 CR-V seems to fit our budget the most and we like it because it is Honda! haha. However our main concerns are:

1. Does it has enough cargo space to put a baby stroller as well as groceries? 2. Also is it worth it to get the EX rather than LX?
3. I live in Orange County, CA... does anybody has estimate on how much we are looking for OTD?

I am really sorry first time posted with a bunch of stupid questions =.=". I am just so nervous in buying this car afraid it might be the wrong car for our baby.

Thank You,
F4ith

·
Registered
35 Posts
congrats on the upcoming baby. i just welcomed my 1st grandson july 18. the cr-v has plenty of room for the car seat. the stroller should fit fine in the back. the ex has the cargo shelf which will make hauling more stuff easier (i believe it is optional on others).
the ex has nicer cloth for the seats, a sunroof and aluminum wheels over the lx model. there may be other features i miss, but we wanted the ex and didn't look at any lx units-see your dealer for a brochure.
good luck shopping. with a new baby your life will change in a million ways, both good and not so good; mostly good, though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
congrats on the upcoming baby. i just welcomed my 1st grandson july 18. the cr-v has plenty of room for the car seat. the stroller should fit fine in the back. the ex has the cargo shelf which will make hauling more stuff easier (i believe it is optional on others).
the ex has nicer cloth for the seats, a sunroof and aluminum wheels over the lx model. there may be other features i miss, but we wanted the ex and didn't look at any lx units-see your dealer for a brochure.
good luck shopping. with a new baby your life will change in a million ways, both good and not so good; mostly good, though.
We went for the LX a year ago since it already contains all the safety features and powertrain which matters for baby carrying purposes. We figure out no matter how nice the interior, he will trash it as he grows up anyway. Beside we believe the lack of sunroof produce a more rigid and safer structure. It's a personal choice.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
720 Posts
congrats on the baby and welcome to the forum.

it all depends on how big is your stroller. i have a full size stroller and if i put the 4 wheels down on the floor, i have to put groceries and whatever i buy on top of the stroller. the stroller pretty much fills up the space in the back.
if i'm buying a lot, i would stand stroller on its end to create more space. sometimes i would also remove the retractable cover for more space. i find with the retractable cover in place - it's harder to load/unload my stroller.
stroller we got is graco quattro tour - u can have a look on the internet to see how big it is

as for which model to buy, if you have the budget - it's always nice to get the top of the line model. if budget is limited, stick to the LX - it's got everything u need.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations on the upcoming addition to the family. I have a 07 CRV Ex. I have one of the stroller/car seat combination. The stroller does take the entire back. The only thing that I don't like about it is that this stroller is too tall to have the cargo shelf in at the same time. Other than this small thing, you will have enough room. I now keep this stroller in my 2007 Dodge Magnum and bought a smaller stroller to keep in the back of the CRV to take advantage of the shelf. This works well for us. I went with the EX since leather, to me, is easier to clean than cloth when there are both a 8 year old and now infant. LX and EX is just a personal choice on the most part.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am a little bit disappointed with the CR-V's cargo space. With my son's Peg- Perego stroller in it, there is little room for grocery bags. BUT, I can say it will be certainly roomier than your old sedan. Just don't expect large cargo space like Tahoe or Explorer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kudos to all of you =)

Thank you for the warm welcome, congratulations :D and prompt response. Really really appreciate it.

Hmm... the stroller that we received from the baby shower is a pretty big one. It is the Eddie Bauer Travel System that has Stroller + Car Seat combination and I just throw the box away *sigh* so we cannot return it anymore. I think it is as big as what Jepros has or even bigger. I guess I have no choice that I have to go the dealer to take a look... I really hesitate to my local dealer cause the sales people are so aggressive.

Cheers,
F4ith

·
Registered
720 Posts
just stand the stroller on it's end instead of having 4 wheels on the floor and you will have plenty of cargo room if u go shopping or leave shopping on your way home so u can everything on top of the stroller. :D

few times it happened to me where i dump everything on top of stroller and then we go to the mall and i need to remove everything to get at the stroller. :mad:

so now, if i need more space - i take the van instead of the crv. no problem. :D

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I Can't Address Your Stroller Issue

Can't say anything about the stroller, but Honda was pushing the CR-V last year as being designed for young mothers. They have the car seat restraint systems (I am pushing old age so forgive my lack knowledge), the rear doors open extremely wide to allow better access to the rear seat. They also have rather stiff detents to hold the door in position. The sunglass holder has a wide angle mirror (which I can't see anything in) to monitor rear seat shennanigans, and the lame table between the front seat drops down supposedly to allow access to the back seat. The glass in the CR-V is UV resistant. How resistant, I can not say. We have had several mothers to be buy CR-Vs and loved them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
overall it's a good family vehicle.
space-wise though - i believe the current gen rav4 and the new subaru forester have more room for cargo in the back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I was looking at 09 Subaru Forester and the 08 Rav4. The Forester is a bit more expensive while the Rav4... I am not sure. I don't really like Toyota car (from my past experience when I totaled by 01 Celica... it amazed me what kind of material the car is made of). I am researching about the price right now.. so far I received $21,500 OTD includes mudguard + wheel lock for 2WD LX from one of my local dealers. If I have time this weekend I am planning to go to the dealer to take a look at the car so I can see how much space the stroller use.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats to you and your family. I have a year old boy and purchased an 08 LX after he was born. I have the Combi stroller which not overly big and space wise works very well in the CRV. I have been debating purchasing the cargo shelf because the stroller folds pretty flat and the shelf would make the cargo area more useful. We have a rather large baby seat and still there is room for 2 average sized adults in the back. Safety features are great and the drive train I mean its a Honda. It has been the best purchase all around for our needs.

·
Registered
720 Posts
if you can wait - check out the 2009 rav4.
2009 rav4 is totally new design. toyotas have boring designs in general but they're very good cars. rav4 was my first choice last year but the price was too steep so i ended up with the crv. it was C$3k more than my crv.

according to canadian toyota, honda and subaru sites - the rav4 base model is the cheapest right now when compared to forester and crv base models.

Yea I was looking at 09 Subaru Forester and the 08 Rav4. The Forester is a bit more expensive while the Rav4... I am not sure. I don't really like Toyota car (from my past experience when I totaled by 01 Celica... it amazed me what kind of material the car is made of). I am researching about the price right now.. so far I received $21,500 OTD includes mudguard + wheel lock for 2WD LX from one of my local dealers. If I have time this weekend I am planning to go to the dealer to take a look at the car so I can see how much space the stroller use.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I got my 2wd LX a little over a month ago and got it for exactly that OTD with the gap insurance and mudguards...but, since its clearance time so they may come down. Take the stroller with you and they will put it in the CRV and show you how much space you will have.... put it in both the EX and LX and see what you think. I traded in my civic for my CRV because my husband and I plan on trying to have a baby in the next year or so and I wanted to have a head start on the car debt. I love my LX... it wasn't worth it to me to get the EX. I wouldn't give it up for the world! I didn't need the sunroof... didnt seem safe to me if we fliped plus it raises the insurance so... I say go for the LX! Happy shopping!!

p.s. you can buy the cargo shelf for the LX and save some money

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have our green 08 EX loaded with two car seats in the back row, and a McClaren XT and a Peg Perego stowed in the back, with beach bag, umbrella pails and shovels etc.
All is good.
Enjoy parenthood!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank You all for the great advice and responds. I still did not have chance to go to the dealer yet but I will as soon as I have time. We register the prenatal classes late... so we are trying to cramp all the classes in 3 weeks. From all the responds that I hear from you guys... it looks like it should be okay. Bringing my stroller to the CR-V is definitely a good idea... I will let you guys know as soon as I buy mine. :D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on stroller on its side

Just got a 2008, and have 2 kids (both in car seats)... car is working out great... and I am looking forward to getting off road with her soon-

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have a 18 month old and it works well toting her around. There is a mirror in the visor to let you keep an eye on the little one. If you get leather, be sure to put the car seat on some cardboard so as not make indentions in the seats; it also soaks up the grease fom the french fries. With regards to room in the back; there is plenty enough for a stroller and a pack n' play plus other stuff. The cargo shelf is a must. Its a fun vehicle to drive; moreso then the Durango we have and the minivan I had from way back when.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys... just to give you updates on what I found so far about CR-V. We went to a dealer last weekend to take a look on how much cargo space it has at the back. As I expected if we lay the stroller down (1 foot and 7 inch), we are not able to use the second level of cargo space (the maximum height the CR-V can handle before putting second level of cargo board is 1 foot and 1 inch).

Nevertheless it looks like we should be okay even without the second level. We should still have some cargo space for groceries. So in the end we have decided to get the CR-V on November and now hunting for a good price. We manage to find a dealer that promised us $21,350 OTD include mudguards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have a 18 month old and it works well toting her around. There is a mirror in the visor to let you keep an eye on the little one. If you get leather, be sure to put the car seat on some cardboard so as not make indentions in the seats; it also soaks up the grease fom the french fries. With regards to room in the back; there is plenty enough for a stroller and a pack n' play plus other stuff. The cargo shelf is a must. Its a fun vehicle to drive; moreso then the Durango we have and the minivan I had from way back when.
Ahh yes I learn that hard way when I volunteer to pick up one of my nieces from her day care. My sister transferred their car seat onto my car and I didnt know there are lots of M&M's underneath it. Make long story short... I spent 1 - 2 hours try to get the melted chocolates out from the seat. I still love my nieces though :p. I found this product on the internet called car seat under mat that supposedly help with this issue.

Cheers,
F4ith

1 - 20 of 21 Posts