Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back I got my first car, a 2001 CR-V. Absolutely loved it, kept up on maintenance, and a year and a half later it was stolen and destroyed. After two more horrible car luck scenarios I now have a 2002 EX. It’s black and in great cosmetic condition, 189k miles but the trans and engine are strong. Right away swapped out the cabin and engine air filters and gave it a good detail cleaning.

I’m experiencing the rumble around tight turns at low speed so I’m going to be changing the rear diff fluid sometime this weekend. After that I plan on chipping away at quality synthetic oil change (not sure if I will DIY, I always have trouble getting filters out), trans fluid change, coolant etc etc as time and money allows.

All in all I’m very happy to be back in a V. This one is much nicer than the rusted out 01 I had before, and I got a decent alarm installed to try and deter the goddamn crooks. I’m pretty certain I had an account back then and recognize this forum as a great resource. Thanks in advance for all the help and advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Sweet! My favorite body style, too. I like it better than my '07. I tried hard to find a good Gen2 car but around here after 6 moths of searching there simply weren't any in good shape. So I would up with my '07, which I am very happy with so far, but it's ugly compared to the Gen2, and no manual transmission, which I also wanted, either. Oh ,well. Looks like you got a nice one. I hate thieves with a passion, I like the way they are treated in the middle east, where they cut off hands. Here they don't even hardly try to catch them, and if they do it's usually by accident. They broke into my Jeep and stole the stereo, sitting right in my driveway under a bright light. I'm getting cameras soon.

Anyway, nice unit! Enjoy it, and let us know how it's going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my ideal would’ve been an ‘05 but this one is great. Got it for $3,200 which in my area is a great price. Noticing my fuel economy isn’t what I’d like it to be but I’m hoping that as I work through maintenance it will improve. Sucks it’s winter, and that I live in a cold dirty city, not very conducive to getting things done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I’m just going to use this thread as a maintenance log/journal...

Had my rear diff fluid changed today. Package delivery got boogered up and I have some driving to do this weekend so I bit the bullet and took it to a dealership. $99 plus tax, came w the Honda multi-point inspection which showed no issues. The dealership called me a half hour later asking to buy the car to sell as a certified pre owned, not sure if this was solely to get me in the showroom but it seems to bode well for the overall condition of the car.

Next up are spark plugs, it’ll have to wait until I get paid next. I was going to order the NGK’s from amazon for $22 but I’ve read they’re often counterfeit so I’ll pony up for the brick and mortar price to be sure they’re legit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can’t figure out how to edit posts but the rear diff fluid change totally solved my rumble around tight turns problem

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nice CR-V you have got. I also love the robust look of gen 2, but gen 3 is nice also.

I think post editing ability is open for some minutes only (15?) after posting.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I've edited posts days later. But this site is extremely buggy and glitchy due to poor IT oversight and software maintenance by the site owners/runners (not the moderators!). Apparently user service is not a priority or concern for them, as indicated by ongoing problems more than a year old and still unresolved. Your edit function is located at the bottom of your post on the light gray strip next to Reply. If it's not there ask a moderator for help troubleshooting. They are very helpful!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've edited posts days later. But this site is extremely buggy and glitchy due to poor IT oversight and software maintenance by the site owners/runners (not the moderators!). Apparently user service is not a priority or concern for them, as indicated by ongoing problems more than a year old and still unresolved. Your edit function is located at the bottom of your post on the light gray strip next to Reply. If it's not there ask a moderator for help troubleshooting. They are very helpful!
Hah, the edit option is there now but wasn’t when I double posted. A solid mod presence is always appreciated, will keep it in mind if problems arise in the future.

On another note got the airbag recall taken care of this afternoon. Did not want to lose an eye or worse due to airbag shrapnel lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally agree, and robust is a great discriptor! As much as I’d love the peace of mind having a brand new one, the 2018/19 body doesn’t really blow my hair back. I was looking at them today while getting the recall taken care of, they have too much going on IMO

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome back! Nice V you got there. It looks like it has been well maintained.
It sure does! I actually don’t have many exact service records on it aside from inspections and oil changes but nothing seems out of sort. In the spring I plan on getting a solid exterior detail/paint correction and I’m considering plastidipping the side rails bc they’re both missing some paint. Thanks, I’ll be sure to upload journals of any work I do on it!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
By the way, you might try getting a Carfax on your car. They will have it, and they cost $40. I did it on mine and got a very thorough and complete listing of maintenance and repair history. Once you get it you can save a digital copy of it but I also printed it out in case the digital one ever gets lost. It is possible some things might not be on there but most of it should. Mine even included oil changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
By the way, you might try getting a Carfax on your car. They will have it, and they cost $40. I did it on mine and got a very thorough and complete listing of maintenance and repair history. Once you get it you can save a digital copy of it but I also printed it out in case the digital one ever gets lost. It is possible some things might not be on there but most of it should. Mine even included oil changes.

I actually have the carfax app which is surprisingly helpful. If you’re the owner you have free access to it and you’re able to add service info etc. My car’s doesn’t have very many detailed service records but the ones that are listed were done at a dealership. (There’s also a cheap carfax workaround but it’s a bit dubious so i won’t post more about it here)

The car is currently throwing a p1457 code and the autozone system says “likely” the evap bypass solenoid valve. I’m not rushing to get it fixed, from what I’ve gathered it doesn’t necessarily effect the cars health/performance and the inspection is good until April. I may get one of the cheapo readers to check and reset it in the meantime. It bothers me seeing it on whenever I’m driving hah

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Changed me plugs today, they weren’t too fouled but I’m glad I checked it off the list. I did however notice one of my coil packs is missing the bolt to secure it, anyone have a part # or generic bolt size or whatever for a replacement? Glad the coil packs were dry, valve cover gasket looks like a PITA to change. This was my first time doing any work aside from attempted oil changes, definitely upped my confidence for future repairs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.