Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Quick review on Carfidant - plastic and trim restorer. I know there are other products available locally. I ordered this off of Amazon because I was in no rush to tackle this project and the reviews were slightly higher than what I could get at Autozone.

The product worked great. It came with an applicator sponge. The only part of the V that didn’t look “brand new” was some of the trim on the door. I do not fault this product for that. It looks like it’s build up of material in the pores of the surface - wax applications over the years?

Check out pics. Hope this helps.

·
3,096 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. Might have to just give it a try!

·
Registered
2001 CRV AWD
5 Posts
I've tried similar product but in a few days they're aren't black again. I recently did my black trimming on the crv and its free. I used a heat gun and you can actually see it turn black. Only time will tell on how well it holds. Ill attach a picture of the side trimming where you can see the part I went over with the heat gun.
20200610_072222.jpg

·
3,096 Posts
The heat gun treatment won't last, and repeated enough will damage the plastic. I use a protectant called 303. Works great, lasts well. Might try this new stuff once, though, depending on price.

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heat gun treatment won't last, and repeated enough will damage the plastic. I use a protectant called 303. Works great, lasts well. Might try this new stuff once, though, depending on price.
$19.95 I think

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
127 Posts
The heat gun treatment won't last, and repeated enough will damage the plastic.
Good to know, but I didn't read your comment until after I just tried this with the wheel arch guard trim off the vehicle and using my heat gun. We'll see how short-lived this is. Didn't cost me anything, so I'm happy (until it fades again). Here are the before photos:

When it fades again, I'll try another technique. Here are the after heat treatment photos:

You can see the difference in this photo of the one I treated with the heat gun shown (vertical) with the wheel arch guard on the other side of the car:

·
3,096 Posts
If the fading is a big enough pain, I'll pull the trim and repaint it using flexible vinyl paint from Duplicator. Did this on my Cherokee years ago, worked great, still looks good.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
127 Posts
If the fading is a big enough pain, I'll pull the trim and repaint it using flexible vinyl paint from Duplicator. Did this on my Cherokee years ago, worked great, still looks good.
Thanks for the tip about flex vinyl paint. Whenever these trim pieces fade again, I will consider doing that.

·
3,096 Posts
Oops! It's Duplicolor. Geez. I can spell, I just can't think. :oops: I pulled the Jeep flares all off, scrubbed them, cleaned them with Acetone to remove wax and other stuff, and the paint never flaked or peeled.

·
Registered
2006 CR-V
127 Posts
Oops! It's Duplicolor. Geez. I can spell, I just can't think. :oops: I pulled the Jeep flares all off, scrubbed them, cleaned them with Acetone to remove wax and other stuff, and the paint never flaked or peeled.
Got it. I even read it as Duplicolor, since I've heard of that brand before, so apparently I can't read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts