Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the backup camera with a better quality one? I was in a BMW the other day and their backup camera is so much clearer. It got me wondering if it would be possible and/or easy to just swap out a better quality camera or if any company makes aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the backup camera with a better quality one? I was in a BMW the other day and their backup camera is so much clearer. It got me wondering if it would be possible and/or easy to just swap out a better quality camera or if any company makes aftermarket ones.

Our rdx blew away our mdx and our crv
And i think tbey are all the same cameras.. its the headunit and how its processed i believe

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
Our rdx blew away our mdx and our crv
And i think tbey are all the same cameras.. its the headunit and how its processed i believe
Was thinking about this the other week. Even if the HU stays the same, a camera which can deal with low light and extreme sun conditions better would still be a big improvement. I find the camera really struggles with bright sun light for example to the point where portions of the rear are practically invisible.

Assuming a 2020 refresh won't have a camera that we can just borrow from, this could just come down to finding a late model Odyssey/Accord/Acura with a more capable camera that can be physically mounted. Of course the cameras for other late model Hondas run around $150 a pop give or take so trial and error isn't very feasible.

A number of companies sell both rear and 'front' gen V CR-V cameras (front ones hidden inside the logo) but doubtful their quality will be any better given the prices.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Was thinking about this the other week. Even if the HU stays the same, a camera which can deal with low light and extreme sun conditions better would still be a big improvement. I find the camera really struggles with bright sun light for example to the point where portions of the rear are practically invisible.

Assuming a 2020 refresh won't have a camera that we can just borrow from, this could just come down to finding a late model Odyssey/Accord/Acura with a more capable camera that can be physically mounted. Of course the cameras for other late model Hondas run around $150 a pop give or take so trial and error isn't very feasible.

A number of companies sell both rear and 'front' gen V CR-V cameras (front ones hidden inside the logo) but doubtful their quality will be any better given the prices.
I agree with you about the rear camera struggling when facing direct sunlight. Hence the always popular Honda alert message to "check your surroundings carefully" because I doubt that they can actually put a camera there that works ideally in all conditions... not economically anyway.

Personally, since the rear camera is considered an actual safety feature... I would not replace it with anything other then the OEM unit. Honda has done several actual NHTSA endorsed safety recalls over software issues with the rear view cameras on some of their vehicles .... so they consider it a safety device. Replacing it with an alternate camera would be like replacing your seat belts with after market ones in my view.

True story here..... my wife complained a few weeks ago about her rear view camera on her 2018 Accord being blurry... so I asked her if she had bothered to clean the lens after all the winter rain and road dirt. Her response was.. where is the camera?... LOL.. so I showed her, and I looked at her HU with the camera active and it was obvious that the lens was covered in filth.. so I took a microfiber cloth and gently cleaned it.. and then showed her the difference... which was pretty much night and day. :) My camera lens has never gotten dirty like that on my CRV ... but the Accord camera is much closer to the ground level and I imagine she gets a lot of watery dirt votexing up around the rear of her car as she drives on the Highway (the entire back area of her car all the way to the top of the trunk was really dirty with road grime). Since it is a silver car though... it can be really dirty and still look good from 10 ft away so she does not wash it as often as she should.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There is only so much that can be done with a camera unless it's extremely expensive. Not in the head unit mostly, it's the cameras sensor, has to have a wide enough range to be able to dial down ambient light enough. Head unit firmware can only compensate so far, once it reaches the limit of the cameras sensor that's it.

It's one of those things that is there to help, not replace mirrors. With normal Honda line competing dollar for dollar against American counterparts they are suffering the same issues. Things being more of a headache than they are worth. I will tell you from a test drive for the hell of it (friend works for local Honda dealership) it's better than any aftermarket reverse camera I have ever seen in people's cars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you haven't replaced your reverse lights with LEDs yet, do it. Huge difference at night!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is only so much that can be done with a camera unless it's extremely expensive. Not in the head unit mostly, it's the cameras sensor, has to have a wide enough range to be able to dial down ambient light enough. Head unit firmware can only compensate so far, once it reaches the limit of the cameras sensor that's it.

It's one of those things that is there to help, not replace mirrors. With normal Honda line competing dollar for dollar against American counterparts they are suffering the same issues. Things being more of a headache than they are worth. I will tell you from a test drive for the hell of it (friend works for local Honda dealership) it's better than any aftermarket reverse camera I have ever seen in people's cars.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The cameras shouldn't be too expensive if the vendor isn't putting a huge markup. Something like an iPhone camera module is $27, but obviously there are other parts that go with it that increase the cost.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the reverse camera is too dark when U using it at evening/night. U might want to try to replace the reverse bulb with with the brighter ones. I replaced mine with LED model and it's super! Here's the link form Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX4FMD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you prefer a higher resolution camera sensor... Sorry, i can't help you with that, I'm still using the Factory default one.

Good Luck!
Should I be worried about blinding people behind me? These seem very bright.

What I think would be really nice would be LEDs that shine under the sides of the car for parallel parking when it's dark and raining, but it sounds like that would be a lot of work for the electronics.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been using it for around a year now. So far, no complaints... And I don't know about you... for me, reversing it's just when we're parking.. it's just merely 1-2 minutes? maybe even less.
I assume also most of the time, when we're parking, behind our car is either wall or stationary vehicle... so, that should be OK. :)

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
Should I be worried about blinding people behind me? These seem very bright.

What I think would be really nice would be LEDs that shine under the sides of the car for parallel parking when it's dark and raining, but it sounds like that would be a lot of work for the electronics.
they're not that bright and do a good job of letting other folks know you're reversing - think when it's raining at night etc.

these are the ones I bought - the seller pictures make them appear much brighter than they are to make a sale I suppose:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NJZ35C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another option is to do what this guy did:

https://youtu.be/wL5ASN1uX-A

Too much work and I don't like the way it looks. At the end of the day this isn't going to help much when it's too bright or too dark outside.

there's also a thread here on how to adjust the contrast and brightness of the camera but you're likely to find that setting it up properly for day isn't going to look very good at night and at least in my case I couldn't get the settings to survive a car shut off.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maby it's all of the gasoline vapors that are in my car, but I get confused by those wavy lines that move around when you turn the steering wheel. Is there any way to turn that feature off?

Also, is it a government mandate that we use these camera systems? Is it still legal to actually turn your head and look behind you?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Also, is it a government mandate that we use these camera systems? Is it still legal to actually turn your head and look behind you?
Of course not. The camera is a safety feature to aid in preventing one of the most common of fender bender incidents or pedestrian VS vehicle incidents ---> backing out of a parking space in a parking lot. Same goes for the cross traffic warning system. The two go hand in hand.. AND Honda clearly states that you must still use visual actions by the driver to confirm your rear view by either looking over shoulder and or use of mirrors. The presence of these systems does not guarantee safe backing up.. and Honda states that. They do however offer an added measure of safety through electronic alerts and visual alerts.. kind of like a second set of eyes.. so to speak.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maby it's all of the gasoline vapors that are in my car, but I get confused by those wavy lines that move around when you turn the steering wheel. Is there any way to turn that feature off?

Actually, there is a law that requires all new vehicles to have a backup camera. Obviously you can still turn your head if you like. Unfortunately since every car is going to have backup cameras the car designers are going to design smaller and smaller rear windows to make it look "sporty" which makes it harder to see out of them.
For the guidance lines, there's an option to make it static instead of dynamic. I personally like the dynamic lines since it shows the path you're moving into. Great for backing up into narrow driveways.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Actually, there is a law that requires all new vehicles to have a backup camera. Obviously you can still turn your head if you like. Unfortunately since every car is going to have backup cameras the car designers are going to design smaller and smaller rear windows to make it look "sporty" which makes it harder to see out of them.
For the guidance lines, there's an option to make it static instead of dynamic. I personally like the dynamic lines since it shows the path you're moving into. Great for backing up into narrow driveways.
I like the dynamic lines as well.... and they are marked conservatively too.. which is good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts