Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At night, why is it that the CRV backup camera works much better when your car lights are off (you can see much better, image is much clearer and brighter) as compared to turning your lights on? Totally opposite of what you expect. Is it one of the stupid Honda things?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
Same reason why airplanes dim lights for night landings. Its about adjusting your eyes to the ambient lighting outside the vehicle.

In my case, I swapped out the pointless reversing bulbs for some Sun-like-bright white LED bulbs - and they make a massive difference in illuminating whats behind me.

Reactions: 604crv and BoostedV

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Same reason why airplanes dim lights for night landings. Its about adjusting your eyes to the ambient lighting outside the vehicle.

In my case, I swapped out the pointless reversing bulbs for some Sun-like-bright white LED bulbs - and they make a massive difference in illuminating whats behind me.
That's a good idea. You are talking reverse lights, not license plate bulbs right?

The backup camera on the CRV isn't good so anything to help would be awesome.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
That's a good idea. You are talking reverse lights, not license plate bulbs right?

The backup camera on the CRV isn't good so anything to help would be awesome.
Yep, reverse lights.

The licence plate only has one small LED bulb.

But swapping out the actual reverse bulbs/filament crap with some high end white LEDs makes a massive difference.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think the point about "ambient lights" (assuming the outside lights we're talking about) is correct. Honda must have configured the camera so that when you turn your lights on, the camera or the display goes into different mode. With the lights off, when you back up, your backup lights still go on. Either that or the license plate light blinds the camera.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
At night, why is it that the CRV backup camera works much better when your car lights are off (you can see much better, image is much clearer and brighter) as compared to turning your lights on? Totally opposite of what you expect. Is it one of the stupid Honda things?
The rear camera does have a light sensitivity sensor on it, and this is very likely also run though the same control that alters the intensity of your instrument panel when your lights are on as well.

In essence, the gain level of the camera sensors is adjusted based on sensor and other control data inputs.

Observation: you have such a long laundry list of "stupid Honda things" one has to wonder.. why again are you a Honda owner??? :)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
With the lights off, when you back up, your backup lights still go on. Either that or the license plate light blinds the camera.
I dont find that to be the case at all.

If anything, the reverse/back up lights provide additional and much welcome illumination and no blinding is involved. You might wanna get your eyes tested if you think the stock bulbs are giving you visual/spatial issues.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't think the point about "ambient lights" (assuming the outside lights we're talking about) is correct. Honda must have configured the camera so that when you turn your lights on, the camera or the display goes into different mode. With the lights off, when you back up, your backup lights still go on. Either that or the license plate light blinds the camera.
You may be onto something about the license plate lights blinding the camera.

Hence why having brighter reverse lights would be a huge benefit. It allows the ambient light sensor to not be overwhelmed by the license plate and use the ambient light of the reverse lights to improve grain and shutter speed of the camera at night.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
125 Posts
It's a cheap camera - as has been suggested, get a pair of bright LED lights for the backup and it helps quite a bit - particularly during foul weather at night.

There's a way to adjust the contrast and brightness - here. The problem I had was the settings would reset themselves and I just couldn't get something that looked good for night and day - it's a single setting. So if I optimized it for night then I found it washed out details in the sun light.

My hope was that just through parts update and manufacturing that Honda would put in a more capable camera in the 2020s but we have to wait for some comparisons. I briefly looked at swapping it with the late model accord or similar but the sealed plastic cases looked like they needed too much work to fit.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
Genuine shame Honda didnt put a strong HD camera in place - would have been very nice to have.

The one on the car is functional - but then, so are the rear parking sensors which equally do a fine job, camera or no camera.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,487 Posts
Genuine shame Honda didnt put a strong HD camera in place - would have been very nice to have.

The one on the car is functional - but then, so are the rear parking sensors which equally do a fine job, camera or no camera.
What purpose does an HD camera serve for a rear backup camera though? It's not like you are taking high resolution selfies or reading a book through your rear camera... right? :)

Not to mention, your Head Unit is not really HD either, so it could not accurately display HD level imaging anyway.

The actual sensor sensitivity, contrast ratios, and automatic gain adjustments for different lighting conditions is what matters for a rear camera, not resolution. Reason: it is a visual aid for safety, to assist the driver, and it includes cross traffic sensors as well.

Hondas would definitely benefit from better gain and sensitivity on their rear cameras, but more resolution is simply more cost that is not actually required. Cost? HD sensors cost a lot more than non-HD sensors... precisely because of the complexity and size of the solid state camera array chip.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Observation: you have such a long laundry list of "stupid Honda things" one has to wonder.. why again are you a Honda owner??? :)
Back when I first joined this board to discuss the OD problem of my CRV, the insistent denial and the demeaning treatment the majority on this board gave us newcomers who posted issues with their Honda, not just OD but in general with any bad things about Honda, gave me this attitude. So while I like the CRV in general, minus the little irritating details that are not deal breakers, my posts most often reflect this board-induced attitude about the brand.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Same reason the infotainment system is so sluggish — embedded system engineers spec out systems using the absolute bare minimum components they can use to get the job done. Even if they save 10¢, it gets multiplied across all the vehicles they make and all the % markups through the sales chain.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,063 Posts
^

Agreed. Infotainment is def the weak point for the CRV.

We dont have the Pilot here, but on reviews I've seen of it, the system on that looks somewhat improved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In this group's experience, how often does Honda change vehicle colors? We are ready for a new CRV - but none of the current 2020 colors are a fit. Seems the neutrals, black grey white, are options, but only red and blue for color.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In this group's experience, how often does Honda change vehicle colors? We are ready for a new CRV - but none of the current 2020 colors are a fit. Seems the neutrals, black grey white, are options, but only red and blue for color.
Please open a new discussion for a new question. This thread is about the backup camera.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.