Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a bad shake with my 1998 CRV (162,000 miles) when I am maintaining a constant speed between 40 and 50 mph. Sometimes the car will shake bad, sometimes it will just make a noise like it is trying to shake. When I let off the gas it stops. I took it in and my tie rods were replaced. This did not solve the issue. I took it back and and they said it was a problem with my tires. I replaced my tires and it didn't fix the issue. I am missing a lug nut on my front driver's tire (it's stripped) but would this really cause the shaking? If this was the problem wouldn't it do it all the time?? HELP!!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Just one of your tires is severely unbalanced. Have the lug nut replaced and have that wheel rebalanced. The Cr-v shakes so bad it will vibrate the wheel in your hands, get it checked out, and it is almost always one bad wheel. I'm assuming it's the one with the lug broken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like either a damaged rim or a unbalanced tire. I would bring it back to where you had the tires installed and have them check it.

As far as the missing lug nut, you should have that addressed ASAP. Honda designed it to have a certain number on each corner...none of them are optional.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where the lug nut screws on is stripped. It looks like someone tried to screw it on when it wasn't lined up just right. What part is this called? Is this part a dealer-only part? If it is a problem with the tires, why would it ONLY shake between 40-50 mph when going a constant speed?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You will need to replace the hub to fix the missing lug issue.

It is possible for an unbalanced tire to only vibrate at a certain speed. I do not know the exact reason how it is possible but I have experienced it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd fix the tires first. The lug nut is a really annoying issue to have, and I would want that replaced before I drove the car, but I can't see that causing an issue if the other 4 are ok.

The only issue is, if a 2nd lug nut fails, then suddenly you'll potentially be in trouble. Reason there are 5 is to give you some spares ;-)

·
Registered
687 Posts
You have a missing lug nut and your NOT SURE if that is the problem. Hello!!! yes, that is the issue. You have 5 lug nuts, not for spares, but ot evenly distribute the forces holdign hte wheel on. alos the larger diameter tires place a greater force on the lug nuts, so 5 are used instead of 4. By having 1 missing, the 2 adjacent lug nuts will be working 50% harder to keep the wheel on the car. Not good. Also if 1 is stripped, it possile more are damaged.

I've see a wheel come off a car at freeway speeds. the dirver was lucky not ot flip the car when he hit the soft shoulder. The wheel bounced 20' in the air and almost landed on an overpass of a major freeway. The lugnuts the flex off just missed cracking my windshield and hitting a motorcyclist.

what I'm saying, is that if your front heel comes off, and you knew that a lugnut was missing, you could be criminally negligent. We're talking possible jailtime if someone is badly injured.

A wheel comming off is one of the worse possible things that can happen to a car. I'd rather have my brakes fail or my throttle stick open... because I can still control the car in those situations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts