Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’ve been dealing with this issue while trying to install new ball joints. I got a new kit from Detroit axle that included new Lower control arms, sway bar end links, and ball joints. The ball joints sucked so I got duralast ones from auto zone which didn’t work either. Now, after going to NAPA and purchasing Sankei 555 ball joints, I’m lost. The ball joints pressed in very easily, almost worryingly. But with the retaining ring, I wasn’t too worried. However, I’m now in the same position as I was with the last two ball joints. These pictures show how the threads seem to be too short and the castle nut won’t go high enough to even touch the control arm. I’m so confused as to why it’s happening. I’ve checked the new LCA and the thickness opposed to the OEM Honda LCA is identical. HELP
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Hood Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Gas Electric blue

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After more investigating and tinkering, I think there may be an issue with the new control arm’s ball joint hole itself. The OEM LCA’s ball joint location is narrow enough to stop the ball joint from traveling too far during installation whereas the new control arm’s hole allows for too much travel and leaves you with nothing. I may have to suck it up and use the old LCAs and deal with the shitty bushings for now. No money for new ones. PS Detroit Axle sucks.

·
Registered
2003 CR-V EX AT (UK assembly)
51 Posts
I’ve had hit and miss luck with Detroit axle over the last five years. A question: are you sure the DA ball joints don’t have a larger diameter stud to make those control arms work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had hit and miss luck with Detroit axle over the last five years. A question: are you sure the DA ball joints don’t have a larger diameter stud to make those control arms work?
This is the DA ball joint in the OEM control arm

Automotive tire Gear Gas Engineering Automotive design

·
Registered
2003 CR-V EX AT (UK assembly)
51 Posts
Well, that stinks. One would think they would send you the correct parts BEFORE you send those back. I would send them these photos. GL

·
Registered
2003 CRV EX Auto 300,000km still rollin'
216 Posts
In a pinch I suppose you could fit an oversized washer, big enough to clear the balljoint shaft. But it's less than ideal since this is clearly a mismatch of parts somehow. Hope you got some joy from the supplier.

Reactions: alex28

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey all, I’ve been dealing with this issue while trying to install new ball joints. I got a new kit from Detroit axle that included new Lower control arms, sway bar end links, and ball joints. The ball joints sucked so I got duralast ones from auto zone which didn’t work either. Now, after going to NAPA and purchasing Sankei 555 ball joints, I’m lost. The ball joints pressed in very easily, almost worryingly. But with the retaining ring, I wasn’t too worried. However, I’m now in the same position as I was with the last two ball joints. These pictures show how the threads seem to be too short and the castle nut won’t go high enough to even touch the control arm. I’m so confused as to why it’s happening. I’ve checked the new LCA and the thickness opposed to the OEM Honda LCA is identical. HELP View attachment 151825
View attachment 151826
View attachment 151824

What year is your vehicle???? I had a big issue with my 05 CRV ball joint

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all, I’ve been dealing with this issue while trying to install new ball joints. I got a new kit from Detroit axle that included new Lower control arms, sway bar end links, and ball joints. The ball joints sucked so I got duralast ones from auto zone which didn’t work either. Now, after going to NAPA and purchasing Sankei 555 ball joints, I’m lost. The ball joints pressed in very easily, almost worryingly. But with the retaining ring, I wasn’t too worried. However, I’m now in the same position as I was with the last two ball joints. These pictures show how the threads seem to be too short and the castle nut won’t go high enough to even touch the control arm. I’m so confused as to why it’s happening. I’ve checked the new LCA and the thickness opposed to the OEM Honda LCA is identical. HELP View attachment 151825
View attachment 151826
View attachment 151824
I ran into the exact same issue. Its the detroit axle control arm not built to spec. I used lock washer in addition to the ball joint nut. I went from another brand control arm to detroit and problem presented itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts