Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! I am a new owner of a 2000 CR-V and love it for the most part. The car had a few issues when I bought it, so myself and a friend have been working to fix these issues. We replaced the lower control arms and ball joints. After the ball joints were pressed in, we realized there was a spot for a snap ring, but a snap ring did not come with the purchased ball joints. We would reuse the one on there before, but it broke. After a lot of searching, we can't find a replacement one anywhere. Honda says they don't use them anymore and the replacement one's don't even have a spot for it anymore. My question is, even if there is a spot for a snap ring on the ball joint, will it be safe to drive as long as it is pressed in? Thanks for the help!!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,169 Posts
You can't find a snap ring at an industrial supply? Grainger, McMaster-Carr, a local hardware store (ask). I bet if you asked nice, they would give you a sample to check for size.

You would be taking a small risk IMO driving without one.

My experience was with an '88 Integra. Couldn't find a CREAK until I hit the gas HARD one day, and the car lifted, allowing the BJ to fall out of the arm. :mad:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I replaced my own ball joins with the Duralast ones from AutoZone. Those were crappy and got replaced a few times under warranty. Eventually I returned those and replaced them with Moog ones I bought off Amazon. All of the replacements I had included a snap ring. I believe the original ones did as well. Maybe you could ask to see one of the new ones and measure the ring and ask them if they have one for sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts