Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have a 2000 CRV that keeps draining the battery over night. I know have two good batteries and I know the alternator is working correctly. I have done some testing and have determined that I have a parasitic draw. The draw is coming from the main battery fuse. When I disconnect the fuse the draw goes away on the amp meter. The only other draw is from the radio memory. I'm looking for input on how/what to do to correct the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is always a small draw from any radio with memory or clock. The radio is not the problem. I have a 4.3 amp draw on the battery circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Parasitic draw is easy to determine. just remove the negative terminal from the battery and place your amp meter between the post and clamp. a radio memory will only draw around .5

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Do you have any other aftermarket stuff in the vehicle? How about the trunk light or the interior light does it shut off after you closed all the doors? Let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No checked everything by putting the meter in series with the battery and then pulled all of the fuses one by one including those under the hood and under the dash. the only time the meter dropped to zero is when i removed the 100A main battery fuse.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Try this, remove the diode trio connector on the side or back of the alternator & then see if the draw stops. Or the Main terminal on the alternator. Be sure you do not let this terminal touch any ground part of the body as it might pop the 100A fuse. Or to be safe , you can disconnect the negative terminal on the battery 1st before removing the Main terminal on the alternator. Then reconnect it later after you have isolated the Main terminal safely. Let me know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Two things

1) Have you actually *fully charged* the battery ? (May take 2 days with something similar to this)

2) Check the AC compressor relay. It may be stuck in an open position.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think there are only two items (overall) that are not fused beyond the main fuse.
The heavy wire to the starter stays hot all the time, as does the heavy wire to the alternator, as otto888man suggested.
So, I would suspect the alternator is causing the leakage.
Are you SURE that the brake lights aren't staying on? I know they are fused, but I thought I would mention it anyways, as they would draw 3.7 amps for two lights. :)

Buffalo4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts