Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IToo bad you cant get a bigger battery for vehicle!
I have not looked under the hood of a CRV recently but the CRV has the same size batter as the Element and some guys over at the EOC have been putting larger batteries in. You can get the stock size batter in a 500 CCA compared to the stock 410 CCA. Honda sells them for about $110 cdn.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bigger battery?

Hi Lizzurd,
Is the charging system able to handle the bigger battery without any issue? Maybe it doesn't matter but I'm not sure.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,549 Posts
Hi Lizzurd,
Is the charging system able to handle the bigger battery without any issue?
THREAD DRIFT ALERT!

X2 to Lizzurd

Actually, fitting the "biggest" battery you can (size or CCA), will create LESS stress on the charging system, as the battery will last longer (a smaller % of it's reserve capacity will be required on each start). The penalty is usually weight, you will be hauling around a few extra pounds.

(My V is hauling around a few extra pounds since the holidays anyway! Time to go on a diet...) :p :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, when I popped the hood on the new V, I saw that battery and laughed. It's probably the same battery used on larger motorcycles. Glad it doesn't get too cold where I live. I leave this one in and bump it up to the higher CCA rated one Lizzurd mentioned when I replace it.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just split this off from the original coolant thread.

On my first Element i had a few mornings up here in the great white north where it would almost didn't start.....I was getting worried that the battery was not going to last. With my 2006 i haven't had any issues in the coldest weather and my battery is almost 4 years old now. The Element,CRV,Civic,S2000 and some Accords all use the same size battery. Before next winter i will be installing the 500 CCA battery if i dont switch to a group 35 battery first over the stock group 51 battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speaking of bigger batteries... This weekend I accidentally killed the battery in our 08 CRV. I was able to jumpstart it back to life. But since its been cold here I no longer trusted the battery. So I fit a larger one with higher CCA's.

I fit a group 35 battery rated at 640 CCA. The stock one is a group 51R rated at 410 CCA. Now my cold starts are much quicker!

The group 35 is the same height and length as stock, but about 1.5 inches wider. I had to replace the stock strap with an adjustable strap. I also had to trim the plastic tray underneath the battery to make it fit. Otherwise fits perfectly!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to have to replace my battery soon. It's almost three years old and cold starts are getting a bit slow. I'd love to get one of those yellow top batteries, but an Interstate one will probably do just fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The interstate batteries are great and I would recommend them to anyone. In doing some research on it a year ago, I found that most auto batteries are made by one of three manufacturers -- Johnson Controls being the preferred vendor so it seems. Just so happens that they make Interstate, Motorcraft, and Autozone upper line batteries. So, then it seemed to come down to which one offers the best warrantee. Interstate in my area has become so popular that vendors ended up charging a premium for them. So, I went with another vendor at that time for another car which is a Ford.

If anyone has any comments to the effect that "not all Johnson Controls batteries with like specs are the same," then I'd love to hear those.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,549 Posts
I'll just mention that it pays to call an Interstate distributor near you. Ask if they have any blemished or rebuilt batteries in stock, in the size you need.

These are sold at half-price. The Rebuilt ones carry a very short warranty, but I'm using one in another of my cars for two years now, still works great...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Resurrecting an old discussion. What brand would you recommend for a 2006 CR-V, bought it used recently and from the maintenance records it does not look like the battery has been changed since it was purchased. It can get quite cold here in Toronto, so replacing it with a stronger battery would be great.

Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm not a tech or any other flavor of expert. But, I've always had good luck with batteries made by Johnson Controls which are marketed under the "Interstate" brand name and others. We have an auto parts chain called "Autozone" which sells them and I think some of the Sears Die Hard batteries are made by Johnson, but I'm not sure.

I would also call a few dealer parts counters just to see if any of them want to get aggressive on pricing.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,549 Posts
Anyone knows why OPTIMA battery is the most expensive battery out there?
It's a different type of battery, costs more to make:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA

Absorbed glass mat (AGM)

Disassembled AGM cell. From left: positive plate, glass mat separator, negative plate. On the right is the entire cell.

Absorbed glass mat (AGM) is a class of VRLA battery in which the electrolyte is held on the glass mat separator by way of capillary action.
History

AGM batteries were developed by Concorde Aircraft Battery, in the late 1980s in San Bernardino California. The AGM battery technology was developed to be a warm weather, vibration resistant, and chemical alternative to the expensive Ni-Cad batteries in both naval helicopters and fighter aircraft. As production was mechanized, Optima Battery patented a spiral wound method for producing an AGM battery. Due to the spiral wound cell configuration, they are also sometimes referred to as spiral wound.
PS Johnson Controls owns Optima now. They moved production to Mexico. AGM batteries take a longer time to recharge than lead-acid so they are not a good choice for short-trip vehicles. Racers love them, due to spill and vibration resistance.

There are other brands of AGM batteries out there BTW. Odyssey is one brand.

·
Registered
406 Posts
FWIW, We here in upstate New York experienced some minus zero temps last week down around -7 to -10F and my 6 month old stock CRV battery caught on the second crank. I'll report back next winter. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Does it mean to say if it was a bit more money to
manufacture, wonder if it will perform better and
longer than a regular battery with the same specs.:confused:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,549 Posts
Does it mean to say if it was a bit more money to
manufacture, wonder if it will perform better and
longer than a regular battery with the same specs.:confused:
Not necessarily. It depends on the way your car is driven. See the PS in my previous post.

++++++++++++++++

I looked in the local Wal-Mart today and the regular lead-acid type 51 they sell (with a 2 year replacement warranty) is rated 500CCA...$67 USD as of 1/2011.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Looked at Sam's Club batteries today, Baltimore, MD, USA, area.

Their Energizer brand sticker says it is provided by Johnson Controls.

Size 51 is rated 490 CCA and 625 CA. Warranty is 3 years free replacement and 96 months prorated. $57.82 plus tax installed!

http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.aspx seems to be the distributor for the Energizer brand but gives very little information. It lists Sam's Club USA and Walmart Canada as the only stores that carry it.

They also have Interstate brand yellow-top and red-top for about $165 and $145 but they are huge! And the warranty seems odd. 3 years free replacement but no mention about anything longer?

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts