Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a CRV EX 2016 a year ago. The battery drained for the first time in January after returning from vacation and while doing short errands (The dash lights flashed quickly but the car wouldn't start.) The battery has drained several times since and more frequently lately. One morning it wouldn't start and the only thing I could think of is that I listened to the radio for 5 minutes after shutting off the car. Other times, it was after driving the car a short distance, shutting it off and driving another short distance and doing the same. The dealer can't find anything wrong - they say the battery is fully charged, the alternator is working and no parasitic draw detected. I recently purchased a portable battery starter that saved me twice today. I'd like to find out if anyone else is having this issue. I see someone with a 2017 has trouble starting the car in the morning or after it's been sitting in the garage for a few days. My battery seems to drain when I take short trips. The first technician told me to take longer trips. I can't alter my lifestyle for my car. I'm seriously consider looking into the lemon laws in my state. I would appreciate any ideas, advice, or reports of a similar issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I bought a CRV EX 2016 a year ago. The battery drained for the first time in January after returning from vacation and while doing short errands (The dash lights flashed quickly but the car wouldn't start.) The battery has drained several times since and more frequently lately. One morning it wouldn't start and the only thing I could think of is that I listened to the radio for 5 minutes after shutting off the car. Other times, it was after driving the car a short distance, shutting it off and driving another short distance and doing the same. The dealer can't find anything wrong - they say the battery is fully charged, the alternator is working and no parasitic draw detected. I recently purchased a portable battery starter that saved me twice today. I'd like to find out if anyone else is having this issue. I see someone with a 2017 has trouble starting the car in the morning or after it's been sitting in the garage for a few days. My battery seems to drain when I take short trips. The first technician told me to take longer trips. I can't alter my lifestyle for my car. I'm seriously consider looking into the lemon laws in my state. I would appreciate any ideas, advice, or reports of a similar issue. Thanks!
Have you tried replacing the battery? It sounds like an intermittent internal short, or possibly a bad wire or connection.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
321 Posts
Can you get more money from your wallet than you placed in? Take your wallet to the court.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have two 2015's, which are identical to your 2016. In my opinion, the battery is a bit under powered for the vehicle. It will start it up just fine, but if you sit in the car with the engine off for more than 5-10 minutes(with the headlights or heat/ac fan on), it probably won't start and will require a jump start. I had the same problem twice, when someone sat in the car for 5-10 mins while I returned something at Home Depot. (headlights stayed on, radio, they were charging a cell phone, fan was running) Load test came back fine. I'm careful NOT to do this any more, or to leave it running. When I replace the batteries, i'll see about putting something a big stronger in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer claims the battery is fine. It's in the shop for the 3rd time right now. They've run all the diagnostics and can't find anything wrong. They told me replacing the battery wouldn't help! Thanks for the idea, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks sophomore. Do you take frequent short trips (under 3 miles)? That's when it happens the most often to me. I'm visiting Providence from Minneapolis later this month!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Unfortunately this has been going on for several years now. It is a combination of a very small battery and the battery charging program that is trying to get the best gas mileage. When you are making short trips turn the headlights on and the alternator will put out full charge over 14 volts. It is a pain in the rear I know but try it. When my CRV is parked in the garage I always have a smart charger hooked to it. Just past 5 years in June on the original battery in mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a CRV EX 2016 a year ago. The battery drained for the first time in January after returning from vacation and while doing short errands (The dash lights flashed quickly but the car wouldn't start.) The battery has drained several times since and more frequently lately. One morning it wouldn't start and the only thing I could think of is that I listened to the radio for 5 minutes after shutting off the car. Other times, it was after driving the car a short distance, shutting it off and driving another short distance and doing the same. The dealer can't find anything wrong - they say the battery is fully charged, the alternator is working and no parasitic draw detected. I recently purchased a portable battery starter that saved me twice today. I'd like to find out if anyone else is having this issue. My battery drains when I take mutliple short trips, after the trunk has been open, listening to the radio with the engine off, etc. The first technician told me to take longer trips!!!! I can't alter my lifestyle for my car. I'm seriously consider looking into the lemon laws in my state. I would appreciate any ideas, advice, or reports of a similar issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,353 Posts
If it is due to multiple short trips then the problem is caused when the car is started. The starter draws a heck of a load and the car has to be driven a while to replace what has been discharged. If you park the car in a garage, the solution is simple. Get a small maintenance charger from Walmart or an auto parts store. Put the battery on the charger at night. I do this on my wifes car after she retired.

On the flip side of the coin it may be the battery is bad. I know the dealer says its ok but the results from their battery testers are highly questionable and can't test for all failure modes such is a partial shorted cell which requires testing the battery overnite or longer. Yes the battery is only a year old but that doesn't matter. A battery life is anywhere from a few months to 5 years with the average around 3 1/2 years

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It could be the battery is bad. Every time a battery is fully discharged it gets worse and worse.

I know someone who left there key on a couple times and it killed the battery completely. After the last time it would charge up to almost 13v, but after an hour or 2 it would drop back down to 11.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your reply. Good idea - I'm going to suggest they test the battery overnight. The first time the battery drained was when the car was less than 6 months' old. It's happened at least 7 times since then. I'd buy a new, better battery if they would admit it was a bad/weak battery - but they are adamant the battery is good. I've been retired for 2 1/2 years and previously drove a Lexus. Since I worked from home the last 5 years, my driving habits were similar to now. Never once did the battery drain on my Lexus! Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I'm new. The 2nd was an accident. I realized I should have posted under Problems & Issues so I wasn't sure I'd get much notice.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,967 Posts
Duplicate threads merged. Extra thread with no responses hidden.

If your usage of the car (frequency of use and short distance traveled) has not changed from the first few months, then to me, something isn't quite right. The answer could be that the battery's charge level has dropped continuously over time to the point that its a problem.

Cars no longer charge at a constant rate like in the old days. They are charged strongly until the charge is correct then alternators lower their output enough to just keep up with usage. Take a moment to check the settings on the car eg headlights haven't changed.

Batteries aren't as reliable as they used to be. They can appear ok but only intermittently. How shops test batteries can vary. It would be surprising if the alternator has failed, but that is a possibility until proven other wise.

Are you willing to adjust your habits a little to test a theory? For the next few days, don't listen to the radio, have headlights on when the car is stopped and engine off. Does it start?
Alternatively, get a $20 battery conditioner from Sears/auto parts etc and use that perhaps once a week or as needed to make up for the lack of driving/charging time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Are you asking or being sarcastic?
If you don't know, a cheap phone charger with a short circuit can draw more current than it normally should.

If you turn on all accessories, at the begining, and run short trips. The battery hardly gets time to recharge
You totally misunderstood my question. I was asking if the "accessory power socket" disengages power when the car is off. Most cars nowadays turn them off for this very reason. The manual is inconclusive regarding this.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Too many questions, on our forum about general things. I was hoping we'd discuss some performance mods, ECU programs to write and adapt. Rathe we discuss extended warranty, bulbs, power, AC and suspension issues. I like these areas, but the normal member lacks the knowledge of a beginer car enthusiast. Some people are debating on LED v. Xenon v. Halogen with and without projectors. Instead of technical lux figures, they are on to, experience. "I bought XYZ brand, it ought to be good." Hardly a few members debate based on facts.

Sorry to share. But boredom, while trying to assist fellow owners, who believe in trivial patch up jobs is not a fun manner.
First time on a car forum, not associated with BMW's? You don't seem to grasp the concept of how a typical car enthusiast forum works. People ask questions, in a considerate manner, and others respond with their opinions and knowledge.

Feel free to start your own "Performance CR-V" forum and leave us regular folk to discuss our boring issues. No one is forcing you to be here. While some of your posts have a sense of value, the majority are just nonsense. Like the one you posted in the 2017 forum, stating your warranty would be void if your oil wasn't changed at the dealer. LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
This thread is getting off topic.

On topic - there is an identical problem with some 2017's. It's related to the Brake Hold function. Does the 2016 have this feature? If so, read up on the 2017 fix.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts