·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
630 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV AWD (my wife's baby)
308 Posts
Yes. Do have your battery checked. Do have your alternator checked as well. Many auto shops do this with ease (and at very little cost).

If both areas are "good", simply park vehicle Friday night, remove one of its battery cables and leave battery disconnected until Sunday night. Sunday night (after sitting for 48+ hours), reconnect battery cable and give it a try. If battery is dead, then battery is "self draining" (even if tested good). If battery good, then something inside vehicle is draining the battery (aka: Parasitic drain).

True story: One of my previous vehicles had a 100% good tested battery and 3 days later (if vehicle sat that long), its battery would be flat dead. Disconnected its battery the long weekend and found it the problem areas. It's 2 month old battery was self draining - even though it tested 100% good. This might be root cause for your vehicle as well....

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Do have your battery checked. Do have your alternator checked as well. Many auto shops do this with ease (and at very little cost).

If both areas are "good", simply park vehicle Friday night, remove one of its battery cables and leave battery disconnected until Sunday night. Sunday night (after sitting for 48+ hours), reconnect battery cable and give it a try. If battery is dead, then battery is "self draining" (even if tested good). If battery good, then something inside vehicle is draining the battery (aka: Parasitic drain).

True story: One of my previous vehicles had a 100% good tested battery and 3 days later (if vehicle sat that long), its battery would be flat dead. Disconnected its battery the long weekend and found it the problem areas. It's 2 month old battery was self draining - even though it tested 100% good. This might be root cause for your vehicle as well....

Hope this helps.
I suppose the battery could be bad but 2 brand new batteries back to back seems unlikely. The alternator is good as I don't have any problems if I drive the car at least for a short trip every day. I can go months without problems if I drive it every day, it's that once I leave it for a day.
If I leave it for 1 day it almost starts, 2 days it doesn't even turn over, 3 days or more not even the accessories turn on.
Same thing with 2 new batteries back to back.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
630 Posts
That happened to my 2013 Venza back in 2014. The oem toyota battery after 1 year of use would only hold charge for 4 days max. I ended up replacing it with an AGM battery and it lasted me 7 years.

Did you recharge the battery back up to 100% by any chance? Do you turn on the headlight when driving?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That happened to my 2013 Venza back in 2014. The oem toyota battery after 1 year of use would only hold charge for 4 days max. I ended up replacing it with an AGM battery and it lasted me 7 years.

Did you recharge the battery back up to 100% by any chance? Do you turn on the headlight when driving?
Like I said I find it unlikely that 2 new batteries would be doing the same thing.

I know the battery and the alternator are both good because I do frequent long weekend drives (over 100 miles) with both headlights and a/c on with no problems at all.

If you google it there are stories of people who started having this issue within the first year, for me it was after 5 years but like one of the posters have said I drive around now with a power pack and jumper cables in the car at all times.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,183 Posts
if the battery is good, the alternator is good, and the battery is getting an adequate charging while driving. Then you are left with only one explanation...your battery is experiencing an abnormal current draw while the car is sitting, aka parasitic load on the battery. There are several yt videos on the subject and several threads on this forum on how to test for this condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if the battery is good, the alternator is good, and the battery is getting an adequate charging while driving. Then you are left with only one explanation...your battery is experiencing an abnormal current draw while the car is sitting, aka parasitic load on the battery. There are several yt videos on the subject and several threads on this forum on how to test for this condition.
Thanks I'll check it out.

But in general I do think Honda's oem batteries are very weak. I had similar issues with my '18 Pilot, it wasn't nearly as frequent but it started happening intermittently within the first year. I replaced the oem battery this past summer and haven't had a problem since.

OT, I've always owned Hondas, Odyssey, Accord, Civic, Pilot, CR-V. Their overall quality is definitely going down, I've had 2 safety recalls on the Pilot already, one for the rails on the driver seat and another for the hood latch.
I'm in the market for another car, I'm not looking at another Honda this time, Toyota or a Mazda seems to be a better bet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a couple of recent threads in the specific battery topic on parasitic drain that might help.
So I did see it could be the a/c relay, I will be replacing it tomorrow to see if that cures the problem.

Doing some searching online I saw there is a class action lawsuit for this battery draining problem affecting '17-'19 CR-V's and '16-'18 Accords. I knew I wasn't the only one with this problem although mine's a '15, I just hope it's not something bigger than the relay. Been reading about many owners who took there cars to the dealer and the dealer could never find the problem, I guess that's why the lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
Like I said I find it unlikely that 2 new batteries would be doing the same thing.

I know the battery and the alternator are both good because I do frequent long weekend drives (over 100 miles) with both headlights and a/c on with no problems at all.

If you google it there are stories of people who started having this issue within the first year, for me it was after 5 years but like one of the posters have said I drive around now with a power pack and jumper cables in the car at all times.
"unlikely" STILL needs to be ruled out with a proper load test of the battery and checking it's internal resistance and CCA.

I have been bitten by "unlikely" many times over my many years with electronics.

Don't guess... have the battery and charging system properly tested. That is the only way to really rule them out. Guessing and assuming the unlikely is possible won't cut it.

If both check good, then as Traylaw noted.. you probably have an abnormal parasitic drain somewhere in the vehicle.
So, go hunting using the method in this video:

I seem to recall that for your generation CRV, the bluetooth modules have been known to develop abnormal parasitics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts