Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my Interstate battery getting slow this Winter but figured it was because it is outside all the time. But even this Spring our CR-V is slow to start. When I put the battery on the charger my charger says it is full within seconds.

Does this mean that I should be looking at a new battery or possibly a new alternator? The battery is probably 4 years old so it might be time for a new battery which I am fine with. But what are some signs of a failing alternator?

Thanks in advance.

Dustin

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
I get the bat checked full does not mean 100%

·
Registered
2007 CRV
733 Posts
Slow cranking could be a sign of weak battery or failing starter or stuck pulley or ...
Since the battery is easier to test, have the battery tested.
The battery could have the correct voltage but not have enough charge to run the starter

If you replace the battery and the crank is still slow
Do not be too quick to blame the starter
Other issues could be one of the accessory pulley(s) is faulty
That would require taking off the serpentine belt and rotating the pulley(s)
If you have ever replaced a serpentine belt on a Honda then you know how tough it is.

Note: Do not forget to clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
And follow negative cable to ground and clean the contact points
Then locate the engine ground strap and clean that up too.
This will eliminate high resistance due to corrosion.
Corrosion is not always visible.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The battery is probably 4 years old so it might be time for a new battery which I am fine with. But what are some signs of a failing alternator?
The only way to test a battery is to have a load test done on it. Batteries can still have voltage high enough to read OK without a load, but under a load they may drop more than acceptable. I think some of the auto parts stores may be able to test that.

Try starting your CR-V at night with the headlights on--if they get really dim or nearly extinguish, then it's probably the battery.

It doesn't sound like your alternator is the problem. You will often (but not always) see the symbol on the gauge cluster if the alternator is failing to charge the battery.

If the only symptom is slow cranking, it may be the starter is wearing out--the starters in these third gen CR-Vs either slow down as they wear out (like one of mine did) or they work intermittently (may not crank, then could crank OK a moment later...and eventually die completely, as our other one did).

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
Lets see you can start the car, run it, remove the battery, if the alternator is bad the can will die

its is up to the Operator to have the codes to restore the radio, and other things

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, all good ideas, Thanks! I didn't think about the starter motor or the acceries on the serpentine pulley. I'll have to check those.

I'll give these a try and let you know. I did clean up the battery terminals a while ago and that helped. Maybe there is more corrosion, as mentioned, somewhere else.

Thanks!

Dustin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok the car started fine with the headlights on, barely dimmed at all. I even tried it with the high beams on. The key fob I generally use is almost completely broken (replacement plastic case should be delivered tomorrow). Could the key not making contacts correctly in the fob add to slow cranking issues?

I took the car on a 200 mile trip last weekend and it was slow to crank when we stopped after driving for 90 minutes. Yesterday my wife couldn't get it to start with the regular key. She didn't notice if the green key dash light was on or not. She said it was slow cranking but wouldn't turn over. Since then she has been using the valet key and hasn't had any issues.

I wonder the key fob plus some unseen corrosion on the ground could be causing this issue? Or the beginning of the end for the starter?

Dustin

·
Registered
265 Posts
It starts fine with the valet key but not the owner key? Not sure how it could be starter at that point. Now if it starts cranking slow or not starting with the valet key, then I would go back to looking at corrosion, starter or other issues. If your fob is broken, you may be flexing the electronics in there and not getting good contact. For the wife's key, have you changed the battery?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The condition of the key or immobilizer is not ever going to affect cranking speed. The immobilizer cuts off the gasoline or ignition (can't remember which--the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet), so it will just crank without starting if the immobilizer is triggered.

These third-gen starters can be erratic when they wear out. As I mentioned, one of ours cranked OK, but every so often it would not crank at all. Waiting maybe 10-15 seconds, we'd try again and it would crank perfectly. Until the day it didn't. 😁 The silly part was having to tow it kitty-corner across the intersection from Lifetime Fitness to the Honda dealer. Thank goodness for the AAA membership! (I can replace them, but not on a day when weather's in the single digits and very windy, out in the driveway!)

There really isn't much to a starter, so this shouldn't be too hard to diagnose. The starter body is grounded to the engine, but you'd want to be sure the grounds from the engine to the chassis and to the battery are all clean and free of corrosion. The cable from the battery to the starter should also be in good condition on both ends. Aside from that there's a starter relay, but beyond that there isn't much else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks, everyone. I replaced the key fob plastic yesterday and it seems to be doing better. I will keep an ear/eye on the starter and see if it is getting too slow.

Thanks.

Dustin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts