Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE Battery Indicator lamp

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather change. I got one for you, haven't used the CRV in several days, decided to take to grocery store today and to my surprise when I turned on the key and started it, the indicator lamp did not go off. I decided to put the charger on while off to store in Tahoe. When I went to pull the + cable red boot, the cable came off the post.
After coming home, I took the charger off, and cleaned the battery posts and cables and reinstalled them. It cranked right up but the lamp was still on. I decided to let it warm up and when returned a few minutes later the lamp was off. I'm thinking a loose corroded cable was the culprit. Have you experienced this ? I rarely open the hood because I split the driving between the CRV and Tahoe.
David g..........:cool:

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,499 Posts
I am assuming when you said the cable came off you mean the cable pulled out of the battery terminal clamp? If so how did you re-attach it?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,499 Posts
Got it, the battery indicator comes on when the system is not seeing the battery charging when it believes it should be. So yes, a loose, dirty connection or problem with the battery / alternator will cause the indicator to turn on.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The charging system on these isn't as simple as others. The PCM and an Electrical Load Detector control charging and in turn that light on the dash. I don't see a theory of operation in the manual, but looking at the diagram the ELD tells the PCM when it needs juice and the PCM adjusts the regulator in the alternator. Not too sure what it does to control that light. Maybe someone else with a better understanding of these charging systems can shed some light on that. I'm not sure that the cable being loose on the battery post would cause that. But a corroded cable probably would. Check where the cable connects to the terminal on both ends and make sure there are no green crusties.

Technical drawing Diagram Plan Floor plan Drawing
Text Diagram Technical drawing Drawing Floor plan

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but looking at the diagram the ELD tells the PCM when it needs juice and the PCM adjusts the regulator in the alternator.

Bdub.......You hit the nail on the head, today I wanted to make sure the light was ON prior to starting, well it was not so I checked voltage @ the battery 12v, then decided to start the engine and check it again, 12v with no sign of charging. I turned the engine off, turned on headlamps for a couple minutes to put a draw on the battery. The battery indicator lamp came on as soon as I turned the key on ( as it should ) and went off as soon as it started. Your assumption is spot on, all is well, reads 13.8 v @ battery while running. Pretty smart system Honda designed.
David g................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Southwind, delete some of your old messages. Inbox is full.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE Battery Indicator lamp

All is well and back in good shape from the shop. Replaced ELD in the beginning but Alternator was still erratic under loading the draw, so replaced Alternator and problem solved. Not bad for 220k miles, still strong.
David g..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Glad to hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts