Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My battery indicator light came on this morning. Does this mean I need a new battery? I never had this light come on before even when I had to replace my battery a few years ago. 2012 CRV and around 60k miles.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
It MIGHT mean your alternator is not charging. Which in turn, could damage your battery. There could be bad diodes in the voltage regulator, as well.

Have it checked out at a shop (preferably, at a dedicated auto electric repair shop)

(The Holy Trinity of automotive electrics: Alternator, Battery, Voltage Regulator) 馃槆

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi. I have a 2012 CRV with around 60k miles and I have had to replace the AC compressor and alternator already. Is this normal? Why so many problems? Did I catch a bad car? I thought Hondas are reliable lol.

Triangular Horse Knees
No need to start a new thread for each issue you have. Please familiarise yourself with the Site Rules. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to start a new thread for each issue you have. Please familiarise yourself with the Site Rules. Thanks
[/QUOT
It MIGHT mean your alternator is not charging. Which in turn, could damage your battery. There could be bad diodes in the voltage regulator, as well.

Have it checked out at a shop (preferably, at a dedicated auto electric repair shop)

(The Holy Trinity of automotive electrics: Alternator, Battery, Voltage Regulator) 馃槆
Thanks for your reply. It's the alternator.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
I have a 2012 CRV with around 60k miles and I have had to replace the AC compressor and alternator already. Is this normal? Why so many problems?
To address this query:

Your car is 9 - 10 years old. TIME as well as MILEAGE can cause parts failures. So can the environment of the car (cold climates, short trips, humidity, long periods of inactivity, etc)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To address this query:

Your car is 9 - 10 years old. TIME as well as MILEAGE can cause parts failures. So can the environment of the car (cold climates, short trips, humidity, long periods of inactivity, etc)
Ok thanks.

Registered
Hi. I have a 2012 CRV with around 60k miles and I have had to replace the AC compressor and alternator already. Is this normal? Why so many problems? Did I catch a bad car? I thought Hondas are reliable lol.
It's a nine year old car, what do you expect?

Registered
2007 CRV AWD
I have a brother in an engineering lab that does failure analysis. It is mostly of electronic parts. Electron microscopes and such. But, the point I am trying to make is that it is possible to make something last for a very long time. However, the cost would be extremely high to get such reliability. So, engineers make compromises between the cost and the service life of the unit. Then the other factors are manufacturing and storage. All parts are not made exactly the same. And everything degrades over time. Some faster than others. Anyway, this is why stuff happens. Sorry for the off topic.

Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
I wouldn't expect to replace an alternator and a air conditioner compressor at 9 years/60k, especially the AC.
That's very odd considering the mileage. My 2013 with 104k hasn't needed anything except regular maintenance. Why did you have to replace those items? Who diagnosed the issues?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's very odd considering the mileage. My 2013 with 104k hasn't needed anything except regular maintenance. Why did you have to replace those items? Who diagnosed the issues?
Hi. The AC compressor clutch broke and smoke was emanating from the car so the mechanic replaced both the compressor and clutch. I guess just the clutch could have been replaced. Then the battery indicator light came on and the car wouldn't start and the power steering stopped working. Mechanic said the alternator is bad. So there it goes. These are two separate incidents that occurred at different times and at different mileages.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
I have had alternators fail as a result of environment (outside storage + inactivity causing corrosion inside). Electric power steering creates additional charging system strain...

Situations vary...

Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
Hi. The AC compressor clutch broke and smoke was emanating from the car so the mechanic replaced both the compressor and clutch. I guess just the clutch could have been replaced. Then the battery indicator light came on and the car wouldn't start and the power steering stopped working. Mechanic said the alternator is bad. So there it goes. These are two separate incidents that occurred at different times and at different mileages.
Man, that's just too bad. It's weird how one car will have problems but another won't. Hopefully you don't have any more issues.

Reactions: vbellome
1 - 17 of 17 Posts