Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i read through many battery threads, and find a bunch of recommendations. I just starting having a battery issue on my 2018 EX and wanted to see if there is anything new as far as recommendations.
I live in a really hot climate, and started working from home due to the lockdowns. I used to drive hundreds of highway miles a week, now almost nothing.
Well, after sitting idle in the hot sun for almost a week, the battery barely started up the other day. I drove it around, shut it off and it struggled to start back up. Then i drove it around for about 30 min in sport mode before coming home again.
Went out this morning, and it struggled a little to start up again, but it did. I just ordered a small lithium jump charger. I was using a metroPCS ODB unit also, which could of been drawing a little extra power also.. i removed that today just in case.
I am past 36k miles, so no battery warranty for me.

So, what is the consensus now for Gen5 CRV batteries?
Should i take it into Honda and pay for the 31500-SR1-100M battery?

Or am i better off going to a local Auto parts store like NAPA and getting a battery there?

thank you

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX-L FWD
355 Posts
I would take it to Autozone and have it tested. If it's more than 3 years old I would just get a new one. Costco has Intersate Batteries for $76.99, if available in your area. Autozone battery is $169. If it's going to sit for long periods I would get a battery tender.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
There is no merit in paying Honda for a new battery. Their 100 month warranty is a bait and switch, like many long term battery warranties.. which only give you 3, maybe 4 years free replacement... and the balance is a prorate based on time. You have many better options in the 3rd party market for batteries.. especially since all batteries are produced now days in the US by just a handful of big producers (who then brand them in hundreds of different labels and brand names) with Johnson Controls being the true 800 lb gorilla in the market.

As Wiley_11 noted... the best source, hands down, for batteries is your local Costco, if you have a membership with them. Their Interstate line of batteries are produced by Johnson Controls (also the prime vendor for Honda for batteries). In my experience, Costco batteries always outlive their warranty.

Since you are not driving much, and are in very warm climate, and given it is a 2018... it could be the battery is just depleted and once that happens, they rarely return to full charge capacity afterwards and as a result.. become a constant liability.

Rule #1 regarding starter batteries in these modern highly electronic motor vehicles: Never let them sit idle for weeks at a time without either regular driving.. or keeping a smart battery charger/maintainer connected to your battery.

Rule #2: check your electrolyte levels at least once or twice a year and top them up with a little distilled water if you find them to be low. This is especially important in hot climate conditions. Easy to do.. wear eye protetion, and gently pry the rectangular caps off and shine a small light down into each cell and visually inspect for electrolyte levels.

Rule #3: regardless of cause.. if you ever deplete a flooded cell starter battery.... don't try to rehabilitate it.. replace it. Flooded cell starter batteries can be severely compromised by just a single deep discharge (ie: below 20vdc). Unlike deep cycle batteries... starter batteries have very thin plates and they sulfate easily when left in an undercharged state.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great advice guys.
I'm not a Costco member. But am BJs member. Not sure if my local BJs even sells batteries. They may carry Excide brand.
If not Costco what would be the next best brand to go with?
Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes... there have been several TSBs for the battery. I would get the TSB update done and get a NAPA Legend Professional 51R since the Honda battery is not that great. Interstate is better, but spend the extra money on the NAPA battery... you'll be thankful!

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,172 Posts
I recommend a Group 24F battery upgrade, if you want to do it right and not have to do it again. I just did it to my V. I did a full write-up on it. It can be done with all year models,and no, it will not void your warranty. I also bought a NOCO Genius 5 smart battery tender, which I will start using now. It requires being able to keep the car connected to 110v when parked. But it will maintain the battery and keep it healthy. Here's a link: Gen 3 Group 24F Battery Upgrade .

I don't recommend simply replacing the Group 51R battery with another 51R. It's a lawnmower battery! Too small. You will just perpetuate the same problem. I replaced my 51R last Feb (2019) with a 3-year battery. It lasted 15 months. My new 24F AGM battery, with the Noco tender, should be bulletproof, even virus-proof (!!!), for those of us who don't drive daily. It does involve a little work, but it's not rocket science or brain surgery. I now have a battery that has nearly twice the capacity of the stock one. You can learn what is needed in the main 24F thread linked below:

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

Or, as an alternative, you can try out the NOCO smart batter tender with your battery and see if it works for you. Then, if it isn't quite enough, you can always take the next step.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in the end i just went around the corner to local Advance Auto parts and got their best 51R battery, with a 30% off coupon it was a great price, and they will replace if it dies in the next 3 years. They even hooked up a standby battery when they swapped them so nothing got reset.. i think thats good enough for me.

thanks for all the input guys..

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I went to Costco got a battery and BAM! it drained down as well. Lol so tell me I got a DUD!!!!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
You have a draw on the battery when parked it sounds like

I am in FL and original battery in a 2014 Toyota still. Think I will get it bronzed when it finally goes

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
in the end i just went around the corner to local Advance Auto parts and got their best 51R battery, with a 30% off coupon it was a great price, and they will replace if it dies in the next 3 years. They even hooked up a standby battery when they swapped them so nothing got reset.. i think thats good enough for me.

thanks for all the input guys..
I applaud service people who put a standby battery across the connection terminals when changing out an old battery. Saves all manner of funky things that might happen to presets in these modern vehicles. (y) (y) I have done this for years with my Honda's when swapping out an old battery with a new one. It is simple to do, and avoids any possible "weird glitching" of presets or even the various electronic systems when the new battery is connected. Sometimes... when reconnecting the terminals.. it is possible to spark or spike the voltage from battery to vehicle on/off/on unless you are really crisp with reconnecting to the terminals.

Check that new battery twice a year for it's electrolyte levels (topping up with distilled water if you find any low), and put it on a smart charger overnight once or twice a month and I bet you get 5+ years off the new battery. Starter batteries do need some periodic love, even though they claim to be maintenance free batteries. They thrive on proper electrolyte levels and proper charge levels, with the occasional saturation charge on a smart charger to buff them up and keep the plates healthy. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they actually hooked the standby battery into the ODB port.. wasnt aware you could do that even.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts