Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 CR-V touring. How long can I leave the car without driving before it will die and I will need a jump start? am going on a 2 week cruise so probably parked for 17 days.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,191 Posts
If the battery is charged it should last 17 days....If the vehicle is parked in your home's garage it would be a good idea to put the battery on a maintenance charger. They're cheap and good insurance.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
A good pair of jumper cables are cheap. Never know when you may need help (a jump) or can help someone else (give a jump).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Been in a 14 day Panama cruise came back and off we went If you are worried back in the spot, and ask the attendant at the Port parking garage. Lithium bats in a car good luck on that one

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy that and return it after your cruise haha
It's nice to keep around. Had someone parked across from me needing a jump. Used my portable one instead since it was easier then double parking next to him and jumping with my car. Also used it to help my boss jump start his car when his battery died.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Since I am into Rc's I just need to use this and off I go

will I put this to a test, nah what for others done it, you can look it up.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It's nice to keep around. Had someone parked across from me needing a jump. Used my portable one instead since it was easier then double parking next to him and jumping with my car. Also used it to help my boss jump start his car when his battery died.
Yea i keep ours in truck with smart straps, glass breaker etc but op said he was going on a cruise so figured it was a one n done

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 2017 EX-L and left them garaged during the winter in Ohio for 3 months. 1 of them had enough juice left to start (just barely), the other one had dash lights but died on first crank. Took about 1 minute to charge and start it up. Every light on dash flashing, thought I'd blown the computer. Backed out, drove around block all reset, all good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V touring. How long can I leave the car without driving before it will die and I will need a jump start? am going on a 2 week cruise so probably parked for 17 days.
I have not driven a car for 6 months and it started just fine. Just had to turn the key to ON and let the fuel pump get the pressure up before turning the key to the START position. The battery was 2 years old.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our 2018 Touring started up just fine after 2 week Portugal trip, no worries

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Before you leave, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.

When you return, just connect the negative battery cable, your CR-V should start right up.

I've been doing this over all the years I've owned Hondas.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Yep one way to do it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
New cars at some dealerships sit in the lot unstarted for months without problems.
That usually leads to an early death for the battery. When we were new vehicle searching at the end of last year, a number of them had to be jump started before we could take them for a test drive. Our Chicago winters don't help, either.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
That usually leads to an early death for the battery. When we were new vehicle searching at the end of last year, a number of them had to be jump started before we could take them for a test drive. Our Chicago winters don't help, either.
Indeed. Particularly with the undersized (in my opinion) 51R battery that is stock from the factory for CRVs. Some parasitic drain is a reality of life with these modern vehicles and all their electronics in various stages of standby which still draw current.

I have personally measured a 30-50ma parasitic drain on my 2017 Touring, which seems to be about normal from my research ... but that will add up over time (1amp drain per day). On a fully charged 51R battery... this suggests the battery would be drained after a little over a month sitting untouched. Since many batteries do not get fully recharged with driving (particularly for the short distance in town drivers)... it could be a few as a couple weeks. If I were going to leave my vehicle sitting in a parking lot from more then one week.. I would make sure I did a full cycle trickle charge with one of the many available smart chargers right before driving it out and parking it.

Interesting to note: My wifes Accord has the exact same engine and basically all the same electronic systems and Honda chose to put a larger (H5 Group) battery in her Accord at the factory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts