• Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CRV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 CRV EX-L USA
I am a snow bird and leave my CRV in FL for six months. The last few years I have disconnected the ground wire at the battery and everything seems to reload without any problems. I was wondering if I can leave a trickle charger on the battery for that length of time. My main concern is over charging or and a fire. TIA
Steve

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,182 Posts
NOT a trickle charger (those always apply current).

What you want is a battery MAINTAINER. These 'smart' devices cease operation after a certain state of charge, then charge again if the battery voltage drops.

NOCO and CTEK are two well-reputed brands. Do a SEARCH on Google.

++++++++++++

In the old days, Old Gummers like me :giggle: used to power-up trickle chargers from the garage door opener. That way they would only charge for short periods of time. Constant use would 'boil' the electrolyte out of the batteries! :eek:

·
Registered
2022 Honda CR-V Touring
90 Posts
I installed a Genius on mine. Tucked into a void. All i have to do is plug it in via the connector routed to the lower grill. My commute is less than a mile so when it sits i usually plug it in at home. Its a 1.75a charge and a variable amp maintainer.

·
Registered
2022 CRV Touring
644 Posts
I have an old Schumacher 1.5 amp that I use for our motor scooter. It is a fully automatic maintainer and owners manual say good for small and large batteries -- meaning motorcycle and cars. Anyway, we will be leaving the vehicle in the garage for about 45 days and I am thinking about hooking up the Schumacher to the CRV. Anyone have experience using this maintainer on their car ?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,922 Posts
I have an old Schumacher 1.5 amp that I use for our motor scooter. It is a fully automatic maintainer and owners manual say good for small and large batteries -- meaning motorcycle and cars. Anyway, we will be leaving the vehicle in the garage for about 45 days and I am thinking about hooking up the Schumacher to the CRV. Anyone have experience using this maintainer on their car ?
I’d hesitate using anything “old”. Personally I’d go for something with the latest technology. Something like—

CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V https://a.co/d/9vFUIxR

·
Registered
2019 CRV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed a Genius on mine. Tucked into a void. All i have to do is plug it in via the connector routed to the lower grill. My commute is less than a mile so when it sits i usually plug it in at home. Its a 1.75a charge and a variable amp maintainer.
Thank You I have picked one from all the responses. I appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts