Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure my 2011 crv 2.2 diesel with now 40000 miles on clock has same battery from factory...
it doesnt get driven much....prob 3 times per week all under 15 miles and its normally cold in england.

OK it hasnt failed on start yet but starting seems slower than used to be....but still starts.

Other day I drove to the shops 2 miles....left headlights and fog lights on for less than 5m and when I started it again there was a drop but still started.

Im thinking just change it as no plans to change the actual car for at least 12 months.

Any recommendations.... the prices here range from £80-£160

dealer who I goto for years and trust them said £115 .

Just thinking CCA and Ah and all that....no after market elecs in car.
just wondering for my own info.... what the hell is the oEM battery for this car and will it loose computer information if I change it myself as I can find something like Bocsh S5 battery online cheaper but dont really want to mess with myself.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Diesel car batteries are typically higher rated than petrol equivalent due to the higher compression ratio. Your dealer might have quoted you for petrol.
Nothing wrong with occasionally putting it on a maintenance or trickle charge overnight. That said, replacement will have to happen at some point.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi
Dealer knows my car, they have worked on it many times!
...price was for OEM battery for this car....diesel.
states it has 36 month warranty and that they wont fit a battery from another source, which sounds fair.

What im thinking is ....short journey... cold climate... whats the solution? Higher CCA or calcium or what?
One in at moment is Varta 670cca 70ah I think...cant check at moment as away from home...

thanks

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Will a Group 24f fit in there?
I've got a wally world battery in mine that is 750 cold cranking amps and 925 cranking amps at 32*F. and mine's not a diesel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never heard of that but after having a look I dont think we get them in england, i could be wrong.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
If what you got in there is from the factory I'd look for one just like it. The group will get you the correct size to fit. For diesel you want to look for a high Ah (reserve)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, when making comparisons look at the Reserve Capacity rating which is the number of minutes the vehicle will operate without a functioning alternator. Example, 90 would be an hour and a half. The higher the number the better. Also the higher the CCA the better.

I am not sure if the Johnson Controls batteries are available in the UK. AGM (acid glass mat) batteries are becoming reasonable as well. Wish we had the diesels here in the states! Cheers

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi....

I found out that the one in there is from factory, which Im surprised its still working in jan 2019 from mid 2011 considering low mileage usage of car.

The honda dealer said they have a specific battery they fit based on the model ...which Il find out when I get there in a week which one it is.
Current one is Varta...
I was going to do it myself they I thought...wont the computer get reset when I disconnect it...I got the radio code.

Im thinking wont honda use a solid battery as they probably dont want comebacks on the warranty....but yes I dont really know that much about car batteries....always just went to a shop got a high cca/ ah battery and fitted it myself....those days I had amplifiers and subwoofers though...None of that now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only issue I've had with swapping out a battery is that my 08 will lose the security code for the radio. Put the code back in and everything is fine. There are devices you can buy that will plug in to your accessory jack (if powered when off) and provide enough current to keep the radio from losing it's security code. If you go with the Dealer, they should put your code back in for you.

Had an old Pontiac (80's) that you would have to do a recalibration on the compass and let the engine computer relearn its base setting. Was a real pain. Had to drive around in a circle till the compass calibrated and then leave the car sitting at idle, in gear against a wall/post for 10 minutes to get the stupid thing to relearn. Much happier with Honda and not having to do this stuff.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive got the radio code at home but in end I let the dealer do it.

The dealer tested car for other issues too so I thought better than me doing it.

All else is 100% on the report.

The battery they put in is a black varta battery 74 AH 680 CCA.
Starts a lot quicker now and also if headlights are on when the car is off and I start the engine, before the lights would cut out then come back on once started
...now they just stay on solid whilst car is starting.
Just makes me think old one was on way out....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts