Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a used cpo 2019 exl. My wife called me today and said that the car will not start. Had all the typical signs of dead battery so I jumped it and all is well. I noticed she had the lights set to on when I checked instead of auto. I was thinking that would drain the battery. However when I test that and leave the lights on in that position the lights turn off after 30 seconds. So I am thinking that even though the lights were in on position it should not have drained the battery. Am I right in this assumption?

I bringing it back to the dealer Friday. It does seem like this is the milage and time frame where these batteries die. But wouldn't they have noticed this during the supposed 182 point check?

Thanks for any info.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
So I am thinking that even though the lights were in on position it should not have drained the battery.
If the stalk is "On", then the lights stay on - depends whether your other half left the lights fully on?

Always best to switch to Auto, and in the manual, it will tell you how to set the timer for 30 seconds (or less / or more as desired).

The checkpoint is unlikely to uncover this since a dealer isnt going to leave the lights on and kill the battery.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
995 Posts
This is what it says in my manual—

Automatic Lighting Off Feature

The headlights, all other exterior lights, and the instrument panel lights turn off 15 seconds after you set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF (LOCK), take the remote with you, and close the driver’s door.
If you set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) with the headlight switch on, but do not open the door, the lights turn off after 10 minutes (3 minutes, if the switch is in the AUTO position).
The lights turn on again when you unlock or open the driver’s door. If you unlock the door, but do not open it within 15 seconds, the lights go off. If you open the driver’s door, you will hear a lights on reminder chime.

But also says —

If you leave the power mode in VEHICLE OFF (LOCK) while the lights are on, a chime sounds when the driver’s door is opened.
When the lights are on, the lights on indicator in the instrument panel will be on.

Do not leave the lights on when the power system is off because it will cause the 12-volt battery to discharge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. Thank you. I just read that as well. It is just odd that when the lights turn off automatically after 15 seconds even with the lights in the On position it will still drain the battery. I guess there is some other power consumption happening in this scenario that we can not see.

Thanks for all your replies.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
Great info. Thank you. I just read that as well. It is just odd that when the lights turn off automatically after 15 seconds even with the lights in the On position it will still drain the battery. I guess there is some other power consumption happening in this scenario that we can not see.

Thanks for all your replies.
Simply opening your drivers door wakes up lots of systems, and will draw several amps of current from the starter battery. Unless you properly power down the vehicle, one or more of these may not properly go back into sleep mode, and that means high parasitic drain on the battery (as in dead the next morning).

My impression is that the "safety timers" that turn off various lights, etc, if you leave the vehicle in a less than powered down state are separate from all the various systems that "wake up" when you open the door.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. Well I must have killed it. I jumped it and drove it for about 45 mins and it is dead again. So it does seem like this battery is smoked.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Well I must have killed it. I jumped it and drove it for about 45 mins and it is dead again. So it does seem like this battery is smoked.
Only way to know is have the battery properly load tested. But you know.. sometimes you just get a bad battery from the beginning, being as they are literally chemical brews that begin to deteriorate the day they are loaded with electrolyte. If there was a plate defect, it could literally go bad at any point in time.

Honda will replace the battery if it fails for any reason during the factory warranty. They should check and confirm your CRV has no abnormal parasitic drains too.. or you will just end up with another dead battery.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The battery in my 17 Touring lasted 18 months before I had to replace it. At the time, I lived 80 miles from a Honda dealer so I chose to buy a good NAPA battery that has 40% more CCA than the OEM battery. No issues almost 4 years later with the NAPA battery.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Thanks.. Oddly this is supposed to be a CPO I picked up 4 days ago so I would have assumed they would have checked the battery. I guess not.
Did you ask whether it was checked??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I did get the 182 cpo check list report that said the battery was checked and passed the test. But it is obvious it was not. Or maybe we killed it? I dropped it off to the dealer tonight since it does not even charge anymore and it is not drivable. It is dead in their parking lot. I am sure they will cover it since it was picked up 6 days ago. I am pretty confident based on history of other Gen 5 crvs that this is the original battery and it just reached the end of its life 6 days after our purchase which may be good for us unless there is some other parasitic issue going on. At this point I do not have much faith in the CPO process. Just marketing as far as I can tell. But at least we have another 16 month bumper to bumper. Aside from the battery issue all is well.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
995 Posts
Well I did get the 182 cpo check list report that said the battery was checked and passed the test. But it is obvious it was not. Or maybe we killed it? I dropped it off to the dealer tonight since it does not even charge anymore and it is not drivable. It is dead in their parking lot. I am sure they will cover it since it was picked up 6 days ago. I am pretty confident based on history of other Gen 5 crvs that this is the original battery and it just reached the end of its life 6 days after our purchase which may be good for us unless there is some other parasitic issue going on. At this point I do not have much faith in the CPO process. Just marketing as far as I can tell. But at least we have another 16 month bumper to bumper. Aside from the battery issue all is well.
I’ve purchased several of different brands and I view CPO “value“ as whatever you get in the way of additional warranty. Aside from that it’s just another used car and should be approached that way.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,195 Posts
I’ve purchased several of different brands and I view CPO “value“ as whatever you get in the way of additional warranty. Aside from that it’s just another used car and should be approached that way.
And the cost of that additional warranty is normally included in the the purchase price of CPO vehicle, compared with a similar vehicle/age/amenities, without said warranty at a lower purchase price.

Reactions: EXcommunicated

·
Registered
113 Posts
It was this model at 159.99. I believe the factory battery is rated at 410CCA so this would be an 18% improvement, not the 40% that I claimed in my last post.

NAPA The Legend Professional Battery BCI No. 51R 500 A Wet

·
Registered
281 Posts
You would think they should do a a battery stress test as part of their wonderful point check. It's a joke. Dealer's gamble on this. Don't ever feel comfortable by this Dealer Approved stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: awmdlmcrv11
1 - 20 of 33 Posts