Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the battery on my 2016 CRV seems not to be retaining charge very well anymore and probably needs replacing. Is there any reason this
can't be done outside of the dealer? Do they need to reset anything after the battery is changed? Will I lose any internal settings after the battery in unhooked? Can I just buy a battery somewhere like Walmart and change it myself? Is it complicated? Should I just go somewhere like an auto parts store or a NTB and have them do it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You have to purchase a battery, why not do it and let them install? Yes you will looses stuff (radio presets) and will have in type in radio code that is usually ona sticker somewhere attached to the glove box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't find any radio code sticker in the glove box? Where else can I find it?

thanks

You have to purchase a battery, why not do it and let them install? Yes you will looses stuff (radio presets) and will have in type in radio code that is usually ona sticker somewhere attached to the glove box.

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX AWD
305 Posts
You don't need a code for 2012. Just push the Power button for a few second and all done.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You should NOT be replacing a 2016 battery already. Not anywhere close unless it's bad and covered under warranty.

If your noticing this already it ISNT the battery, too many short trips and things like that will slowly drain the battery. As well as letting it sit too long not being driven.

Before doing anything, get the battery tested after going for a long drive so it can fully recharge (which can take around an hour without running AC or any other high drain accessories).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put the battery on a charger and it was showing low, but then was fully recharged in 30 mins or even less.
Seems OK now 2 days later. It did die on me after a short trip....I parked the car and tried restarting it 2 mins later and that's when it wouldn't start. Not sure what to think now???

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I put the battery on a charger and it was showing low, but then was fully recharged in 30 mins or even less.
Seems OK now 2 days later. It did die on me after a short trip....I parked the car and tried restarting it 2 mins later and that's when it wouldn't start. Not sure what to think now???
Make sure your battery connections are very snug and clean.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Have you ever checked the fluid in the battery?
I'll bet one or more of the cells is showing the tops of the plates from it being low on fluid.
If so, plan on replacing the battery sooner rather than later.
See the thread on putting in a larger battery too. It's fun, easy and will ease your battery anxieties in the future.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
It's been my experience my original Honda batter would die or not be able to hold a full charge after 3 years. They would test as weak. Just outside of warranty. I just went with AAA for replacment battery. New battery same size but with a littlle more power. Everyone has an opinion on this, but I like the convenience of AAA coming to my house. Doesn't cost more than a Honda battery.
FYI battery terminals have been clean.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not too sure WHERE y’all live, but between 3 and 4 years here in congested Houston Texas is all you’ll get likely. I’ve had Honda, Interstate(really like these), and Walmart. There are some steps you should follow as mentioned, check the water level in the cells, then either take the battery out and have it charged and tested at the auto parts store or charge it slowly yourself (WITH A BATTERY CHARGER, driving it won’t do it quite enough)and then have it tested.

First rule of thumb at the stores is make an easily killing and batteries are pretty easy money for all of the shops. The considering factors you should apply to your purchase is somewhat simple, are you near or traveling near ANY of the same branded stores in your future. I don’t mind buying from Costco or places like that, but considering my travel plans, there are not that many Costco’s in my path, so only my wife’s car got the interstate battery from Costco because we don’t go cross country in her car too much. Walmart’s are EVERYWHERE we drive, so that is who got my business last time and likely will in the future. Hit and miss on them being able or timely on the install EVERY time you stop there, but the stores have them on the shelf to self serve, so if you have a breakdown on the road and a simple tool kit, you can do it yourself. Yes, you are likely to loose radio presets and need to get the radio back up, but now that you know what to expect, write that data down on a sticky note or something.

While you are at it, test the charging system and starting system AFTER you have resolved the battery condition so you will get a proper test result, done for free at most of the major auto parts stores. Quick note, just plopped a new battery in my moms Accord In January, took AZ the battery, they said it was good, but low, let them charge it for a few hours and checked back with-them, now th battery tested BAD, so they had to replace it as it was their brand, we had no other issues.

Hope this helps, the Honda cars I’ve owned over 20 years now have a good track record of starters and alternators, but the batteries get the weak spot, but I live in a HOT state and I do like my air conditioning and that makes for some real hot temps under the hood and that pretty much cooks 5e batteries, cheap prospect really when you consider around $100 will buy you another 4 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check if there is an update for your software. Our 2012 used CR-V 2WD LX needed it; watched voltage when starting up, did not go to charging (normally around 14 volts) in the green, stayed yellow, around 12V. The shop recommendation is to "turn on the headlights" which of course puts on a demand and sure enough the charging kicks in. Or the a/c will do it, but that's a stopgap. The battery should go into charging for awhile after every start. With the update to the computer software, it works right. With short trips on the older scheme, it would not bring the battery up to snuff and it suffers a slow, premature chemical death (sulfated). If car is on longer trips say twenty minutes a day, battery will hold up better, but the best is the update if there is one. I won't look up your model but the Service Bulletin for my 2012 2WD LX-E was 12-041. (Had dealer check for all updates, also they did the transmission, total for updates around $65.) Immediately, it worked right. But when the new, small battery gives up I'll upgrade to the larger size that fits.

·
Registered
303 Posts
3 years for a new battery isnt really bad, then again it isnt good at all.

My crv battery was still going until jan 2019 from early 2011 then it started to be weak in cold temps and IM doing short runs from mid 2016, dont know about previous 1 owners usage...
I know environment and each country has different weather but, I had a original honda battery in for that long,seems to me 3 years something else probably causing this issue

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Thought I'd relate a battery story, just to show how batteries can last.
A neighbor called yesterday saying his wife's car wouldn't start. Asked for my help since I'd put the battery in way back in Aug '14. I'd gotten a NAPA for them, Group 51R for the '08 Civic.
I went over and checked with my VOM to see if it had any juice left. Nope, Nada, Nothing. So, I pull it out and take off the caps to see how the fluid is in the cells. Now these friends aren't 'car people' so I knew they had never checked the fluid. What I found was 3-4 cells were so dry they looked like there was mud in them. I've never seen a battery so dry in so many cells. Now mind you, this car had started up and taken my wife and friend shopping just yesterday.
Long story short we went over to PEP Boys and got a Champion 51R, put it in and all is good now. The owner did check and found that a map light had been switched ON some how and was probably the reason the battery was so dead. Well that and the fact that it was 'dry' inside are what killed it. I'm just glad our wives didn't get stranded while out shopping or in the rain we recently had.
Lesson learned here is, even the 'Maintenance Free' batteries need tending to if you want them to last longer than 3 years. This Civic is used for short trips only, so you can imagine the charging cycle was constantly trying to charge up the battery. I think they dodged a very big inconvenience bullet since it died in their driveway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2017 CR-V purchased right at 3 years ago.
I've got just under 75,000 miles on it already.
It was sort of odd how things went.

The 1st hint at an issue was about a month ago. I was waiting for a train and turned the car off, but left it in the assessory position. The radio and a fan were on and we sat there for less than 10 minutes. When it was time to crank the car up, the battery wouldn't start it and I had to get a jump.

I have a charger at home, and had no problem charging the battery. Started up just fine after that. Every once in a while, I'd toss it on the charger again. But then about two weeks ago, left home to drive to church (~20 min away) and after church, the car wouldn't start.

Swapped it out with an Optima Red Top from Advanced Auto Parts. Once home, gave the new battery a full charge with the charger, and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,102 Posts
i live in FL, and the vehicles parked in the garage. we usually need to replace the battery about every 4 yrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just replaced my 2016/17 battery. Dealer said nothing wrong but would loose it charge after several days garaged or a couple of short shopping trips. Replaced with a larger CCA 670 and standby cap of 126amps. Tight fit but the car starts lively not slugish as before. This suggest that the original korean made battery is substandard.
CRV 2017 VTI.S Melbourne Australia

1 - 20 of 47 Posts